searching for users: seo as an engine for customer acquisition (stephan spencer, startonomics sf...
out of 50
Post on 17-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresentation by Stephan Spencer, http://NetConcepts.com, on startup stragies & tactics for using Search Engine Optimization (SEO) as a core customer acquisition channel.
- Searching for Users: SEO as an Engine for Customer Acquisition By Stephan Spencer, Founder & President, Netconcepts
- The 4 Big Keys to SEO
- Keywords Target the words that your target market uses.
- Content Its got to be great, unique, linkworthy, fresh, keyword-focused content.
- Links No links? No rankings.
- Site structure Its essential you get the technical details right (redirects, HTML templates, URLs, internal linking structure)
- SEO Fundamentals
- Tried-and-true SEO tactics
- Topically relevant links from important sites
- Anchor text
- Keyword-rich title tags
- Keyword-rich content
- Internal hierarchical linking structure
- The whole is greater than the sum of the parts
- Synergistic effect of natural + paid search
- SEO Fundamentals
- Links (internal and inbound, along with the anchor text) beat out content
- Link building, link baiting, blogging, SMO are crucial SEO activities
- SMO (Social Media Optimization) = infiltrating Digg.com, del.icio.us popular, Netscape.com, reddit, StumbleUpon, Wikipedia,
- A rising tide lifts all boats
- Light on content, but on page 1 in Google for silver earrings
- Their CEOs blog accounts for over 13% of online sales
- SEO Fundamentals
- Rewrite your URLs
- Avoid ? & = characters, minimize directories, include keywords, hyphens preferred over underscores
- Rejig your hierarchical internal linking structure
- Optimize your HTML templates and CSS
- Reduce code bloat, separate out presentation layer from content layer, image replacement, optimized elements like H1
- SEO Strategies for Your Head Terms
- Focus a page on no more than 3 keyword themes place targeted term in the title tag, H1 tag, & high up in the body copy
- Build link gain (PageRank) to that page through internal links & inlinks
- Consistent keyword-rich anchor text from internal links
- For deep inlinks, vary the anchor text a bit
- SEO Strategies for The Long Tail
- Focus on unbranded search markets
- Leverage website scale and brand strength
- Employ testable strategies that scale
- Treat consumers as co-creators
- Measure against a new set of KPIs
- Grow your long tail of search
- The Freeloaders on Your Payroll
- Most merchants have 80%+ of their pages driving no search traffic
- Its a red light that they lack a long tail of unbranded keyword traffic
- The # of searches for unbranded keywords is nearly 40x as great as searches for the brand name (put another way, 97x the # of pages onsite)
- Tapping that opportunity means leveraging the size of the website and the brand strength to convert unbranded searches into clicks
- How to achieve this tail?
- Scalable Long Tail SEO Strategies
- Mass optimization:
- Single techniques capable of creating cascading effects throughout large websites template pages for instance
- Rewriting URLs:
- Simple and static have profound impact on PageRank and traffic
- Thin Slicing:
- Touching key elements across thousands of pages quickly, monitoring, and expanding based on results
- Scalable Long Tail Strategies - Web 2.0
- User generated content (e.g., wikipedia)
- Freely append searcher vocabulary into your website
- Tagging and social bookmarking (e.g., Flickr, del.icio.us)
- Listen and create feedback loops using search terms
- Use cloud taxonomy to flatten your structure using good link text
- RSS and Blogging
- Long tail is driven by efficient distribution of pages
- Create link bait rather than soliciting link targets
- Provide lists of most searched keywords
- Long tail optimization means outsourcing to your users
- Gone Off the Rails
- Misfires, mistakes, etc. often occur because your developers, sysadmins, or marketers didnt know what they didnt know
- Not Spider Friendly
- GET http://www.bananarepublic.com --> 302 Moved Temporarily
- GET http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/home.do --> 302 Moved Temporarily
- GET http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/home.do?targetURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bananarepublic.com%2Fbrowse%2Fhome.do&CookieSet=Set --> 302 Moved Temporarily
- GET http://www.bananarepublic.com/cookieFailure.do --> 200 OK
- Not so good title wheres the phrase credit card?
- No link text or body copy
- No link text or body copy
- Duplicate pages
- Still feeling good about being at the bottom of page 1?
- Search listings 1 good, 1 lousy
- Title tags the same
- Spider unfriendly URL structures
- Yikes! Sears.com home page PageRank score looks abysmal
- Phew! Sears.com true home page PageRank score
- BMW.de hosted many doorway pages like this one
- Sneaky redirect sent searchers to this page
- Hidden link in the All of All Rights Reserved leads to a hallway page
- Hallway page not meant for human consumption Lets start scrolling
- Everything still looks copasetic, until
- A-ha, spider food
- Screenfuls and screenfuls of it!
- Find Link Targets
- Review links of competitive sites, sites in your keyword market
- Use tools like the ones just mentioned
- Check sites with high rankings for relevant keywords
- The fewer the number of links on their page, the better
- Review links to your site; look for opportunities to get the link text revised
- Request Links
- Hi, Lets swap links!
- Ive already linked to you.
- Great site!
- You already link to our competitor XYZ.com and we offer a better product.
- Please use the following text in your link
- Hi, found a broken link on _____. btw, you might want to add xyz.com as a link.
- What then?
- Hi Lois, My name is Eric Ward, and I am working with StormwaterAuthority.org to help them announce the launch of their new web site located at http://www.stormwaterauthority.org I am hoping you will consider mentioning or linking to the StormwaterAuthority.org site on your Water and Wastewater Engineering page at http://www.library.umaine.edu/science/waterresources.htm I have included a brief overview of the site below, and should you need anything at all I am a real person and actually reply to email. You can also contact me by phone. Thank you for your time and consideration. Regards, Eric Ward (On behalf of StormwaterAuthority.org) firstname.lastname@example.org voice 865.637.2438 ------------------------------------------------------ Overview of StormwaterAuthority.org Source: Eric Ward
View more >