secrets of email marketing
Post on 02-Jul-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONSecrets of email marketing seminar presented at the Marketing Institute of Singapore, 11 January 2012. Plan your email marketing campaign to achieve greater response rates and higher impact.
- 1. Secrets of Email Marketing Date: 11 Jan 2012 By: Thomas Murrell MBA
2. Multiple Reputational Platforms Corporate Story via Social Media Organisation Investor Relations Enabling Direct Engagement Diffused Issues Management Respond More Quickly Functional Output Functional Input Marketing Communication Lower cost Authentic Better targetting Employee Communication - Create community Normative Two Way Conversation Public Affairs Figure 1: Benefits of Social Media in Corporate Communication.Source: Adapated van Riel C.B.M. & Fombrun C.J. 2007,Essentials of Corporate Communication . Routledge, Abingdon 3. Objectives
- Plan your email marketing to achieve greater response rates.
- Understand how people read and act on information in emails.
- Learn how to use permission marketing to build customer loyalty.
- Use the 8 essential rules of email marketing.
- Develop a workable email marketing plan.
4. Marketing Is
- What you do to ultimately get and a keep a customer
- About positioning
- About process
- Entering and new paradigm. It means structuring every activity you do to meet the needs of your customer
5. How Does Email Differ From Traditional Marketing Media?
- Brand Awareness
Consumer Response Emotional Rational
- Long Term Objectives
- Create Brand Awareness
- Richness of Information
- Short Term Objectives
- Precipitating Action
- Involving audience
TV Outdoor / Billboards Point of Purchase Telemarketing Personal Presentations Seminars & Workshops Direct Mail Press NewslettersTrade Journals Magazines Email 6. Nine Persuasive Reasons To Have an Email Marketing Plan.
- Excellent for Conveying Information and Detail.
- Cost Effective.
- Rational Medium.
- Effective Call To Action.
- Effective for Both Short & Long Term Promotional Objectives.
7. Nine Persuasive Reasons To Have an Email Marketing Plan.
- A Good Substitute for Direct Mail.
- Complementary with Other Main Media.
- Excellent at Capturing Information, Building Loyalty and Implementing Permission Marketing Strategies.
8. Marketing Is 9. Case Study Dr Jamie Murphy UWA
- Email to 212 Educational Institutions
- Only 3 out 4 responded!
- No systems, no priority, no idea!
10. 5 POWER PS
- P rompt
- P olite
- P rofessional
- P romotional
- P ersonal
11. 8 Essential Rules of Email Marketing
- Murphys Law
12. Marketing Is 13. Marketing Is 14. Marketing Is 15. Atlas Iron Personal, Direct, Simple 16. Resource Mining Corporation (ASX:RMI) Message from MD, Corporate Social Responsibility, Links to Media, Podcast 17. Fortescue Metals Group email self management 18. Web with E-Newsletter regular communication LinkedIn Groups, Staff Profiles Corporate Blog, Twitter - Advocacy Networks, Feedback - +ve & -ve YouTube & Slideshare for presentations Must Meet Regulations for Disclosure Communications should engage stakeholders at points of highest potential ROSMI Acquisition Retention Awareness Interest Desire Action Reinforcement Upsell Commitment Devotion Source: Adapted Mariann Coleman 2007Customising Effective Online Branding Strategies Leverage the Message 19. 8M Social Media Method Social MediaAspirations Social Media Objectives Social Media Resource Internal & External Audiences Create Social Media Narrative & Voice - Snap Audit, Distill Essence, Internal Alignment Internal Audiences Culture Change Evaluation 8M Social Media Methodology 20. Practical Application + Method SMART Goals Target Stakeholders Communication Channels, themes & 12 month plan/timeline Structure/Messages Regulation, Relationships, Reputation Social Media Health Check + Evaluation Workshop Email Plan 21. Seven Centres of Influence 1. Social Capital 4. Investor Presentations 6. Media Third Party External Reputation: Credibility and Visibility 3. Aligned Values Strong Internal Reputation 7. Legacy Build, Brand & Sustain Reputation Capital Internal Reputation: Consensus and Character 2. Visibility & Voice 5. Writing web, e-newsletter, Reports, Investor Updates Community and Champions 22. Ten Reasons to Consider E-newsletters
- Relationship Building.
- Ready to Buy.
- Higher Response Rates.
- Consumers Feel In Control.
23. 10 Reasons to Consider Permission Marketing
- Targeted & Cuts Through Noise & Clutter.
- Avoids Cynicism of Interruption Marketing.
- Tailored Message.
- Cost Effective.
- Increases Profits Through Repeat Business .
24. Permission Marketing Must Dos
- Ask Permission to Communicate.
- Offer Rich Content and Real Value.
- Collect Data and Build Database.
- Well Written Messages.
- Communicate Frequently.
25. 5 Deadly Sins of Permission Marketing
- Boring, Uninteresting & Outdated Content.
- Selling Database to Third Party.
- No System to Collect Information.
- Poorly Written & Unfocused Messages.
- I dont understand the technology
- But you dont have to
- You have to understand what it can do for you
- K. Rupert Murdoch,
- Chairman & Chief Executive, News Corporation
27. Why Good Email Writing Skills are Important!
- Communicate Ideas
- Lasting Record Potential!
- Enhance Details
- Arrange Your Points Logically
- Reinforce Your Message
28. FiveSure FireWays to Improve Your Email Writing Skills
- Use short words
- Prefer a familiar word to the fancy
- Be Specific, dont waffle
- Use the active instead of passive
- If it is possible to cut a word, always cut it out
- The best words are the short ones, and the best short ones are the old ones.
- Winston Churchill
30. Eight Ways to Write Business BuildingE-Newsletters
- Write for Scanners
- Write Short
- Write Friendly
- Bite Size Chunks of Information
31. Eight Ways to Write Business BuildingE-Newsletters
- Single Concepts
- Easy Distribution
- Low Cost
- Newsy & Relevant
32. Five Common Mistakes
- Using Fillers
- Not Asking Permission
- Running Unrelated Ads or Advertorial
- Not Respecting my Time #1
- Not Respecting my Time #2
33. A Word on Privacy
34. 10 Secrets of Email Marketing
- Build Repeat Business
- Gain New Customers
- Enhance Service Experience
- Increase Your Credibility
35. 10 Secrets of Email Marketing
- Cross market
- Add value
- Ask permission
- Slash Costs