social networking & your career
Click here to load reader
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONsocial networking for your career
- Kate Carruthers FITT CeBIT Lunch Sydney May 2009 Social Networking for Work & Life
- Life used to be different
- We lived
- in a different world
- Careers used
- to be different
- Careers have changed
- Hidden Job Market
- How do you access the hidden job market?
- Cold calling
- Tips on MyCareer & Seek
- > 50% of jobs are never advertised
- Source: Seek Australia
- Now we live in a connected world
- May 2009 2009 Kate Carruthers | www.katecarruthers.com How many loose connections will you have collected between youth and old age?
- May 2009 2009 Kate Carruthers | www.katecarruthers.com Source: www.com.washington.edu/nj/article.m?id=63 Source: private archives of Kate Carruthers We've done this forever!
- Just a new way to stay in touch May 2009 2009 Kate Carruthers | www.katecarruthers.com But wait! Theres more to think about
- How connected do you want to be?
- Do you want to segment personal from business?
- What is your plan?
- May 2009 2009 Kate Carruthers | www.katecarruthers.com Authenticity Privacy Control Safety
- May 2009 2009 Kate Carruthers | www.katecarruthers.com Source: http ://icanhascheezburger.com/ Where are the boundaries? Does everyone agree?
- social networks enable us to maintain loose ties with large numbers of people
- even casual conversations on social networks are never off the record
- people underestimated how likely others were to help them by as much as 100%
- Rules of Engagement
- Its just like real life
- Courtesy counts
- Most people want to feel special
- Give help karma counts
- Everything you say is on the record
- Think carefully!
- More info
- SOCIAL NETWORKING & JOB SITES