Spelling Tests And Spelling Pests
Post on 21-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONUsed in Teacher Education with level 5 Literacy diploma stuents
- 1. Spelling Tests and Spelling Pests and beyond!
2. How did you learn to spell? 3. Why do we need to spell correctly?
- poor spelling creates a bad impression
- it's the first thing a reader notices
- examiners, teachers and prospective employers often place weight on spelling
- anxiety about spelling inhibits individuals writing
- and their choice of words
- even in these days of word processors there arestill times when we need to write
4. To improve and develop their spelling learners need to:
- develop an interest in words
- feel safe about trying new words, not just words they're sure about
- learn about the way words are built up using syllables
- learn basic spelling patterns of English
- learn memorizing strategies
- learn the meanings of words
- learn about prefixes and suffixes
- write for their own enjoyment, without the fear that they will be criticized
- read for pleasure
5. Task 1
- You will be given a list of words, some of which are spelt correctly and some of which are not.Highlight or underline the correct spelling of each word.
- (answers available upon completion)
6. Task 2
- Today, many people think they need not worry about spelling, since their word processor will mostly take care of that tedious aspect. Unfortunately, that's not true. Firstly, spell checkers are not clever enough to catch mistakes such asadaptforadopt(both perfectly good words). Secondly, there are plenty of occasions in teaching, such as when you step up to a flip chart, when your inability to spell can become embarrassingly obvious.
7. Task 3
- This is a test of your knowledge of English spelling. All you have to do is cross out all the letter "e"s in two short passages.
8. Task 3 Explanation
- Usually people miss about 5 "e's' out of the hundred in each passage, most of them in the word "the". This test has been used to identify different types of dyslexia, signalled by problems with 'important' s which matter to the spelling of the word, such as the in 'den' which distinguishes it from other words 'din' and 'don' but not with 'unimportant' 'e's which don't matter so much such as the 'e' in 'waited' as there are no word spelled 'waitid' or 'waitod'.
9. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using:
- A spell checker?
- A traditional dictionary?
- Flash cards
- Analyze and analyseorrealize and realise?
10. Oops! Spelling Mistakes in Hand Drawn Street Notices Printed Spelling Mistakes 11. Mnemonics
- mnemonic[ni- mon -ik],helpful in remembering something; or (as a noun) a form of words or letters that assists the memory, e.g. the rhyme beginning Thirty days hath September. Rhyming verse is often employed for mnemonic purposes, and it is sometimes claimed that this was poetry's original function.
12. What do the following mnemonics stand for?
- Big Elephants Can Always Understand Small Elephants.
- Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain.
- Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.
- A shirt is made from one collar and two sleeves
- Kids Prefer Cheese Over Fried Green Spinach.
13. B igE lephantsC anA lwaysU nderstandS mallE lephants.
Go back 14. R ichardO fY orkG aveB attleI nV ain.
- red, orange, yellow, green ,blue, indigoandvioletform the seven colours of the rainbow
Go back 15. E veryG oodB oyD eservesF avour.
- are musical notes, in sequence
Go back 16. A shirt is made from onec ollar and twos leeves
- Necessarycontains the letter c once and the letter s twice
Go back 17. K idsP referC heeseO verF riedG reenS pinach.
- This helps to remember the order of taxonomy in biology:
- Kingdom ,Phylum ,Class ,Order ,Family ,Genus ,Species
Go back 18. Think of mnemonics for differentiating themeaningof the following words:
- licence / license
- affect / effect
- enquire / inquire
- (If youre a little rusty, word meanings are available)
19. Read Through ADVAANTEJEZ OV A RASHONAL SPELING: DHE TEECHING WOOD BE RASHONAL.
- Why is the English spelling system so confusing?
- Should we try a simplified system of spelling?
The Simplified Spelling Society 20. Any Questions?