Post on 12-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Spiritu alGifts
2. 3. Review
- Inner Life
- What Does It Mean to be Filled with the Holy Spirit?
- What Is the Evidence?
4. John Wesley
- In his Journal entry for August 15, 1750, he wrote, "I was fully convinced of what I had long suspected,
- That the Montanists, in the second and third centuries, were real, scriptural Christians; and,
- that the grand reason why the miraculous gifts were so soon withdrawn, was not only that faith and holiness were well nigh lost; but that dry, formal, orthodox men began even then to ridicule whatever gifts they had not themselves, and to decry them all as either madness or imposture."
5. 1 Cor 2:9-14
- However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him"
- but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.
6. 1 Cor 2:9-14
- For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.
- We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us.
7. 1 Cor 2:9-14
- This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words.
- The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
8. I Jn 2:27-28
- As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit-- just as it has taught you, remain in him.
- And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming.
9. 1 Sam 16:12-14
- Then the LORD said, "Rise and anoint him; he is the one.
- So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the LORD came upon David in power. Samuel then went to Ramah.
- 14 Now the Spirit of the LORD had departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD tormented him.
10. Rom 1:11
- I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong
11. 1 Tim 4:14
- Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.
12. 2 Tim 1:6
- For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
13. 1 Cor 12:11
- All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
14. 1 Cor 12:29-31
- Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?
- Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?
- 31 But eagerly desire the greater gifts. And now I will show you the most excellent way.
15. 1 Cor 14:26-32
- What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church.
- If anyone speaks in a tongue, two-- or at the most three-- should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret.
16. 1 Cor 14:26-32
- If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.
- Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said.
17. 1 Cor 14:26-32
- And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop.
- For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged.
- 32 The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets.