t5 b24 copies of doc requests file 2 fdr- doj tab- entire contents- doj doc requests and responses...

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T5 B24 Copies of Doc Requests File 2 Fdr- DOJ Tab- Entire Contents- DOJ Doc Requests and Responses 187

1/133

Thomas H. KeanC H A I R

Le e H. HamiltonV I C E C H A I RRichard Ben-VenistcMax C lelandFred F. FieldingJamie S. GorelickSlade GortonJohn LehmanTimothy J. Roem erJames R. Thompson

Philip D. ZelikowE X E C U T I V E D I R E C T O R

FBI DOCUMENT REQUEST NO. 13The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States ("theCommission") requests that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI or the"respondent") provide the Commission with copies of the following documentsno later than September 26, 2003 (the "production date"):

1 . Memoranda to and from the FBI Director. For the period from February26, 1993 through Sept. 20, 2001, policy mem oranda, including memorandaconcerning the issues of student tracking and watchlisting, regarding the role ofimmigration law enforcement in counterterrorism investigations andprosecutions:a. to the Director of the FBI from the Office of the Attorney Gene ral, theOffice of the Deputy A ttorney General, or the C ommissioner of theImm igration and Naturalization Service (INS), or persons acting inthese capac ities; andb. from the Director of the FB I to the Office of the Attorney General, theOffice of the Deputy Attorney General, or the Commissioner of theINS, or persons acting in these c apacities.

2. Documentation on previous terrorist entry to the United States. The Alienfile ("A-File") collected by the FBI in connection with its investigation orprosecution of the following individuals:a. Nidal Ayyadb. Mahmud Abouhalimac. M ohammed Abouhalimad. Ahmad Mohammad Ajaje. M ohammed Salamehf. Eyad Ismoilg. Ramzi Yousefh. Mustapha Shalabii. Bilall A lkaisij. Sheik Omar Abdel Rahmank. El Sayyid Nosair1 . Ibrahim el Gabrownym. Mohammed Salehn. A mir A bdelghanio. Fadil Abdelghanip. Tarig Elhassanq. Fares Khallafallar. Siddig Ibrahim Siddig A lis. Matarawy Mohammed Said Saleht. Abdo M ohammed Haggagu. Gazi Ibrahim A bu Mezerv. Lafi Khalil

T E L (202) 331-4060F A X (202) 296-5545

http://www.9-llcommission.gov

• 8/14/2019 T5 B24 Copies of Doc Requests File 2 Fdr- DOJ Tab- Entire Contents- DOJ Doc Requests and Responses 187

2/133

FBI Document Request No. 13Page 2

w. Abdul Hakim Muradx. Ali Mohammedy. Khalid Abu Al Dahabz. Wad ih el Hageaa. Essam al Ridibb. Ahmed Ressamcc . Abdelghani Meskinidd. Abdel Hakim Tizegha

3 . FBI immediate response on imm igration and border security. Docum ents setting forth theFBI's role in governmental actions taken with regard to immigration an d border security fromSeptember 11, 2001 through December 31, 2001, including the dates of and nam es of attendees atWhite H ouse meetings attended by FBI officials to address border security issues; policy papersprepared by the FBI for the above meetings; and mem oranda to the Office of the Attorney Generaland Deputy Attorney General from the Director of the FBI sufficient to establish the FBI's currentrole in border security.4. Liaison by border authorities w ith the FBI. Documents sufficient to show the process b y whichthe FBI was notified by U S border a uthorities of the entry into the United States of potential foreignterrorists, an d coordinated response to such entries, including: Interagency agreements between theFBI and other U.S. Government agencies on this topic in force from January 1, 1998 throughSeptember 11, 2001; interagency agreements between the FBI and other U.S. Government agencieson this topic currently in force; and documents, including interagency agreements, reflectingpolicies, practices, an d assignments with respect to INS, U.S. Custom s Service, an d U.S.Diplomatic Security Service detailees assigned to FBI-led Joint Terrorism Task Forces (JTTFs)from January 1, 1998 through September 11, 2001.5 . W atchlisting of terrorists before September 11 ,2001 . From January 1, 1998 through September

11, 2001, documents sufficient to show the FBI's criteria for placing individuals into the TIPOFFwatchlist and the Violent Gang and Terrorist Organization File (VGTOF); the number ofindividuals FBI submitted to each list and the number of individuals in VGTO F for terrorismconcerns on September 11, 2001; and interagency agreements in force between the FBI and otherfederal, state and local ag encies on watchlist data sharing.6. Watchlisting of terrorists after Sept. 11,2001. FBI policy directives currently in effect regardingterrorist watchlists, including the criteria for placing individuals into TIPOFF and VGTOF forterrorism concerns; interagency agreements in force between the FBI and other federal, state, an dlocal agencies regarding the sharing of data on w atchlists; the most recent policy statement andMemorandum of Understanding (MOU) concerning expansion of watchlists and state and localauthorities' access to them; and a list of current FB I employees on detail to the Terrorist Threat

Integration Center assigned to work on terrorist Watchlisting.7 . FBI terrorist identity lookback project. Documents setting forth or summarizing the descriptionand results of the project undertaken by the FBI prior to the 2002 W inter O lympic Gam es in SaltLake City, Utah, under w hich the FBI tasked its field offices to cull terrorism investigation files fo rthe names of potential terrorists for addition of their names to the V iolent Gang and TerroristOrganization File (VGTOF) and NCIC databases fo r watchlist and related purposes.

3/133

4/133

FB I Document Request No. 13Page 4

14 . "S" visas. Documents sufficient to describe the FBI's role in the "S" visas program fo r individualswho have supplied terrorist-related information to U.S. law enforcement, including the number ofindividuals to whom "S" visas were issued since September 11, 2001, and whether such personswere associated with immigration-related detainees program, the voluntary interview program, theAbsconder Initiative, or another FBI activity.

15 . Referrals for prosecution on imm igration charges. Docum ents setting forth the num ber ofindividuals who were either the subject of or a cross-reference in an FBI counterterrorisminvestigation who were referred by the FBI for prosecution on at least on e immigration chargeduring the period (a) from January 1, 1998 through September 11, 2001; and (b) from September12, 2001, through the present.

16 . Alien smuggling along the Southwest border. Documents from January 1, 1998 through thepresent discussing the issue of smuggling of aliens from the Middle East, Pakistan and Afghanistaninto the United States across the Southwest border.17. Links between illegal entry into the US and organized crime. Documents from 1998 to thepresent discussing in summary form FBI information about linkages between illegal entry byterrorists into the United States and organized crime, weapons traffickers, traffickers in persons,terrorist financiers, or narcotics traffickers.

The Comm ission further requests that documents requested above be provided as soon as they areavailable, even though all requested docu ments m ay not be provided at the sam e time, thoroughmeans of a "rolling"production.If any requested docum ents are withheld from production, even temporarily, based on an allegedclaim o f privilege or for any other reason, the Com mission requests that the respondent, as soon aspossible and in no ev ent later than the produ ction date, identify and describe each such documentor class of documents, as well as the alleged basis for not producing it, with sufficient specificity toallow a meaningful challenge to any such withholding.If the respondent does not have possession, custody or control of any requested do cumen ts but hasinformation about where such documents may be located, the Commission requests that therespondent provide such information as soon as possible and in no event later than the productiondate.If the respondent has any questions or concerns about the interpretation or scope of these documentrequests, the Commission requests that any such questions or concerns be raised w ith theCommission as soon as possible so that any such issues can be addressed and resolved prior to theproduction date.September 12, 2003 Daniel MarcusGeneral Counsel

5/133

panne [email protected]: Friday, September 12, 2003 3:12 PMj: [email protected]

Cc: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected];[email protected]: FBI document request no. 13

FBI documentrequest no 13.doc...Pat: Attached as a Word document is FBI document request no. 13. Please callTom Eldridge at 202-401-1686 with any questions about this request and toarrange for production. Feel free to call Dan or me as well if any issuesarise. Thanks. Steve

6/133

U.S. Department of Justice

Federal Bureau of Investigation

Office of the General Counsel Washington, D.C. 20535September 3, 2003

Daniel Marcus, General CounselNational Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United StatesSuite 3002100KStreet,N.W.Washington, D.C. 20036RE: Commission's Request for DocumentsDear Mr. Marcus:

following:In response to the Commissions Request for Documents, please find the

Documents responsive to Document Request l-8e: 2001 AFOR Phoenix FieldOffice;

Documents responsive to Document Request l-8e: 2000 AFOR Phoenix FieldOffice;Documents responsive to Document Request l-8e: 1999 AFOR Phoenix FieldOffice;

Documents responsive to Document Request l-8e: 1998 AFOR Phoenix FieldOffice; Documents responsive to Document Request 1-11: 1998 Inspection Report for

Berlin Legat; Documents responsive to Document Request 1-11: 1998 Inspection Report for

Bonn Legat; > Documents responsive to Oral Request from Thomas Eldridge.This is part of the FBI's rolling production and thus may be supplemented in the

future. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at 202-324-9613.

Sincerely,

Assistant General Counsel

7/133

DateLogged

09/04/03

09/04/03

09/04/03

09/04/03

09/04/03

09/04/03

09/04/03

09/04/03

Date ofItem

09/03/03

undated

undated

undated

undated

undated

undated

undated

Type

RFBI

RFBI

RFBI

RFBI

RFBI

RFBI

RFBI

RFBI

DocumentRequest /

Item*

1,8e

1, Be

1,8e

1,8e

1, 11

Doc*

From

Sinton, Robert

To

Marcus, Daniel

Subject

Response to FBI Document RequestNo. 1

2001 Annual Field Office Report [Phoenix FClassified Material attached

2000 Annual Field Office Report [Phoenix FClassified Material attached

1999 Annual Field Office Report [Phoenix FClassified Material attached

1998 Annual Field Office Report [Phoenix FClassified Material attached

Inspector's Report Berlin Legat 2001 Class

Inspector's Report Bonn Legat 1998 Class

HI IF Technology Demonstration [oral re

8/133

9/133

just wanted to make sure my notes were right from our meeting on FBI? #13 (and the upcoming DOJ one). Please let me know if you have any'disagreementrith the following:

> 1. In general, at least as an initial matter, searching can be limited> to> the central records systems (for the DOJ one I may also try to search an> individual's files if I think there is someone who is likely to have> responsive> material that can be easily retrieved). Also, we can shift requestsbetween> FBI and DOJ (or DHS) if it makes it easier to respond (we'll obviously> let you know if we do so).> YES> 2. Item #2 has been shifted to DHS> YES> 3. Item #3 - the post 9/20 period is not being considered part of> the "immediate response" but rather policy changes; you are looking> for> substantive documents (which we will likely shift to DOJ) reflecting the> policies as opposed to identifying every meeting or participant.> WAS FBI LEADERSHIP A POTTED PLANT? IF "IMMEDIATE RESPONSE1" DID NOT> INCLUDE ADDRESSING WHAT TO DO AT THE BORDER AND WHAT TO DO ABOUT> POSSIBLE ASSOCIATES IN THE US, THAT WOULD BE SURPRISING. THAT BEINGya-^SAID. WE ARE LOOKING FOR KEY SUBSTANTIVE DOCUMENTS, WITH DATES,^ \SSOCIATED WITH THE INDIVIDUALS WHO DEVELOPED THE PROPOSALS,

SANCTIONED, AND IMPLEMENTED THEM.> WE WOULD LIKE THE KEY PEOPLE FROM FBI -- THOSE WHO PROPOSED,> DECIDED, AND IMPLEMENTED --TO BE IDENTIFIED SO WE CAN INTERVIEW THEM. IFWE> DID NOT STATE THIS ADEQUATELY WE CAN ADD IT TO THE DOJ REQUEST.

> 4. On #7, the focus is not the Olympics or Olympic security but the> particular project and you are looking for summary documents> evaluatingthe> project and its results.> WE ARE LOOKING FOR THE ACTUAL RESULTS. HOW MANY ADDITIONAL ISLAMIC> FUNDAMENTALIST TERRORISTS WERE IDENTIFIED THROUGH THIS PROCESS THAT> WERE ADDED TO VGTOF? THUS -- "DOCUMENTS SUMMARIZING THE PROJECT AND> ITS RESULTS."> 5. For #11 again you are looking for significant policy documents> describing the purpose and/or results of the list.> RESULTS.> 6. For #12 in the first instance at least you are looking for names of> people affiliated with the hijackers, AQ, or groups related to AQ (and> you will then check to see if you already have additional information> on any such people).>

^ *WE REQUEST THE TOTAL NUMBER OF IMMIGRATION RELATED DETAINEES (ASSTATED IN THE FINAL CLAUSE), AND THE ABOVE INFORMATION.

> 7. On #13, you are looking for summary documents evaluating the project>

10/133

and its results.>> THE SUMMARY NEEDS TO INCLUDE CRITERIA FOR THE INTERVIEWS, NUMBER OFINTERVIEW'S, AND THE RESULTS.J . On #14, we will check to see if the FBI has any easy way to provide> such summary information but will not go through each individual file> or field office/USAO to try to determine it. Similarly on #15, we> will see if the FBI> (or DOJ) has any easy way from computerized systems to determine these

> numbers> but will not go through individual files or field of f ices/USAOs to try to> determine this.>> *#14 ALLOWS US TO SHOW SOMETHING POSITIVE, AND EVALUATE THIS> POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT TOOL. WE WOULD LIKE TO BE AS CREATIVE AS> POSSIBLE ABOUT HOW TO GET IT. FOR INSTANCE WE MIGHT ACTUALLY WANT TO> GO TO ONE OR TWO KEY FIELD OFFICES FOR A CHECK. WE WOULD LIKE DHS TO> BE CONSULTEDABOUT> WHETHER THEY CAN OBTAIN THIS INFORMATION. WHO WAS THE INDIVIDUAL WHO> HAD THE FINAL SAY ON PROVIDING THIS BENEFIT AT FBI/DOJ?>> 9. On #16 and #17 you are looking for significant or summary reports or>> analyses on these subjects.>> WE WANT TO KNOW IF FBI HAS ANY EVIDENCE THAT TERRORISTS HAVE ENTERED> THROUGH THE SW BORDER, THROUGH ALIEN SMUGGLING AND/OR NARCOTICSTRAFFICKING> OR OTHER FORMS OF ORGANIZED CRIME. FOR THIS QUESTION, AN INTERVIEW> WITH-AH\PPROPRIATE PERSON MIGHT BE AN ACCEPTABLE SUBSTITUTE.> (Again, in a number of these areas there may be no such summary> documentsor>> evaluations, but we will look for them.)>> Do I have it right?>> Thanks .>>> ----- End forwarded message -----

11/133

U.S. Department of Justice

Federal Bureau of Invest igat ion

Off ice of the General Coun se l Washington, D. C. 20535

October 6, 2003Daniel Marcus, General Counsel yj J JNational Comm ission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States \l_^r\^/r>^*^'Suite 3002100 K Street, N.W.Washington, D.C. 20036RE: Commission's Request for DocumentsDear M r. Marcus:

In response to the Commissions Request fo r Documents, please find th e following:Documents responsive to Document Request 5-4c;Documents responsive to Document Request 5-9a -8 Packets;Documents responsive to Document Request 10-lc;Documents responsive to Document Request 10-Id;Documents responsive to Document Request 10-If;Documents responsive to Document Request 10-lg;Documents responsive to Document Request 10-lh;Doc uments responsive to Docum ent Request 10-Ik;Documents responsive to Document Request 10-11;Docum ents responsive to Document Request 10-Is;Documents responsive to Document Request 10-lu; ;Documents responsive to Document Request 13-4.Additionally, enclosed is an electronic copy of the t ime line an d, as a " separatedocum ent, a set of instructions fo r searching th e t ime line. Adherence to these instructions willprevent possible reconfiguration of the chart.This is part of the FBI's rolling production an d thus may be supplemented in thefuture. Should you have an y questions, please do not hesitate to con tac t me at 202-324-9613.

JRoberts. SintonAssistant General Counsel

12/133

U.S . De p a r t me n t o f Ju s t ic e

Federa l Bureau of Invest igat ion

W a sh i n g t o n , D. C . 20535-0001October 8, 2003

Daniel Marcus, General CounselNational Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon th e United StatesSuite 3002 1 0 0 K S t r e e t, N . W .W ashington, D.C. 20036RE: Commission's Request fo r DocumentsDear M r. Marcus:

In response to the Commissions Request for Documents, please find th efollowing:Documents responsive to Document Request 3-Supplemental #lb;Documents responsive to Document Request 3-Supplemental #lc;D ocuments responsive to D ocument Request 3-Supplemental # l i ;D ocuments responsive to D ocument Request 5-9a - 3 Packets;Documents responsive to Docum ent Request 10-lb;Docum ents responsive to Docu ment Request 10-1m;Docum ents responsive to Document Request lO - lo ;Docum ents responsive to D ocument Request 10-lr;Documents responsive to Document Request 10-lw;Docum ents responsive to Document Request 10- lx;Documents responsive to D ocum ent Request 13-10;D ocuments responsive to Docum ent Request 14-3.This is part of the FBI's rolling production and thus may be supplemented in thefuture. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at 202-324-9613.

Sincerely,

Robert S. SintonAssistant General Counsel

13/133

U . S . D e p a r t m e n t o f J u s t i c e

F e d e r a l B u r e a u o f I n v e s t i g a t i o n

W a s h i n g t o n , D. C. 20535- 0001October 21 ,2003

Daniel Marcus, General CounselNational Commiss ion on Terrorist Attacks Upon th e United StatesSuite 3002 1 0 0 K S t r e e t , N . W .Washington, D.C. 20036RE: Comm ission 's Request for DocumentsDear Mr. Marcus:

In response to the Comm ission 's Request fo r Documents , please find th efollowing:Documents responsive to Document Request 3-Supplemental # l g - 13 Packets ;Documents responsive to Document R equest 10-lz -3 Packets ;Documents respons ive toDocum ent Request 13-6.^

This is part of the FBI 's rol l ing production and thus may be su p p lemen ted in thefuture. Should you have any quest ion s, please do not hesi ta te to contact me at 202-324-9613.Sincerely,

Robert S. S i r t o nAssis tant Genera l Counse l

14/133

WATCHLISTING OF TERRORISTSAFTER SEPTEMBER 11,2001

RESPONSIVEtoREQUEST #13-6[PACKET #2]

COMMISSION COPY

15/133

To: 9-11 Commission Task ForceFrom: Terrorist Threat Integration Center (TTIC)Subject: Request for a list of current FBI employees detailed to TTIC, assigned to work on terroristwatchlisting.Date: Oc tober 10, 2003Details: The Terrorist Identities Group (TIG), within TTIC, is the organizational componen t tasked withdeve loping and maintaining an all-source terrorist identities database. It is from this database, thatwatchlist nominations will be provided to the newly created Terrorist Screening Center.

Currently, only one FBI employee is assigned to the TIG, that being th e Group Chief, SSAMichael D. Resnick. It is anticipated that five FBI analysts will be assigned to the TIG by year-end.An additional 10 FBI analysts have been requested to report to the TIG by M ay, 2004. These analystswill be responsible for maintaining the portion of the database dealing with the relevant information onthe FBI's international terrorism subjects. These 15 FBI analysts are critical to the TIG fulfilling itsmission.

The POC in this matter is SSA M ichae l D. Resnick, telephone (703) 482-9783.

16/133

U.S . Dep a r t m en t of Just ice

Federa l B u r e a u o f I n v e s t i g a t i o n

W a s h i n g t o n , D . C . 20535-0001October 24, 2003

Daniel Marcus , General C ounselNational Commission on Terroris t Attacks Upon the United StatesSuite 3002 1 0 0 K S t re e t , N . W .Wash ing ton , D .C . 20036RE: Commission 's Request for DocumentsDear Mr. Marcus:

In response to the Comm iss ions Request fo r Documents , please find th e ~ " / L , ,fol lowing: OUUW- Docum ents respons ive to Document Reques t for AC S Material[10/21/0 3]-5 Packets; Docum ents respons ive to Document Reques t 1-11: 1998 Inspection Report fo rLondon Legat ;Documents responsive to Document Request 1-11: 2001 Inspection Report forLondon L egat;Documents responsive to Docum ent Request 3 - l e ;Docu ments respons ive to Docum ent Reques t 3 - l j ;Documents respons ive to Document Reques t 3- l q ;Docu ments respons ive to Docu ment Reques t 3- l r ;Docu ments respons ive to Document Reques t 3 - I s ;Docum ents respons ive to Document Reques t 3 - l v ;Docum ents respons ive to Documen t Reques t 3- l x ;Docum ents respons ive to Docum ent Reques t 3 - ly ;Docum ents respons ive to Document Reques t 5-4 - 4 Packets ;Docum ents respons ive to D ocumen t Reques t 5-4d - 3 Packets ;Documents responsive to Document Request 5-8a;Docu ments respons ive to Docum ent Reques t 5-11 - 2 Packets ;

17/133

Docum ents responsive to Document Request 13-11; ^Docum ents responsive to Docum ent Request 14- lc;Docu ments responsive to Docum ent Request 14- l r .

This is part of the FBI's rolling production and thus m ay be supp lemented in thefuture. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact m e at 202-3 24-9613 .Sincerely,

Robert S. SintonAssistant General Counsel

18/133

U.S. De p a r tm en t o f Justice

Federal Bureau of Investigation

Wash i n g t on , D. C. 2 0 5 3 5 - 0 0 0 1

November 1 8 , 2 0 0 3Daniel Marcus, General CounselNational Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United StatesSuite 3002 1 0 0 K S t r ee t ,N . W .W ashington, D.C. 20036RE: Commission's Request fo r DocumentsDear M r. Marcus:

In response to the C omm issions Request for Docu ments, please find th efollowing:

Documents responsive to Document Request 3- I f ; Documents responsive to Document Request 3 Supplemental #3-e -4 Packets; Documents responsive to Document Request 3 Supplemental #3-h -2 Packets; Documents responsive to Document Request 13-11.Th is is part of the F BI's rolling production and th us may be supplemented in thefuture. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at 202-324-9613.

Sincerely,

S. SiriAssistant General Counsel

19/133

SECURITY DIRECTIVE LISTDOCUMENTS SUFFICIENT TO ESTABLISH THE

ORIGIN , MISSION AND RESULTS OF THESECURITY DIRECTIVE LIST CREATED AND

DISSEMINATED BY THE FBI IN THE IMMEDIATEAFTERMATH OF SEPTEMBER 11,2001.

RESPONSIVEtoREQUEST #13-11

(PACKET #2)

COMMISSION COPY

20/133

9/11 COMMISSION TASK FORCEDOCU MEN T DELETION CODES[As of August 11,2003]

"A" - SOURCE/INFORMANT INFORMATION - Information, the disclosure ofwhichwould tend to reveal the identity of an in form ant or so urce where confidentiality isexpressed or implied."B" - FBI TECHNIQUES AND/OR METHODS - Information on sensitive FBItechniques an d/or method s which wou ld imp ede or impair the effectiveness of thattechnique and/or method."C" - NON-RELEVANT FBI CASE INFORMATION - Information neither relevant norresponsive to the Commission's requests."D" - FBI PENDING CASE INFORMATION - Information which would impede orjeopardize a pend ing investigation of the FBI."E" - STATUTORY - Inform ation legally prohibited from release by statute."F" - PRIVACY/SECURITY - Information, the disclosure of which would be anunw arrante d invasion of the personal privacy or jeopardize the safety of lawenforcement personne l and/or their family membersMaterial redacted under this code includes (1 ) social security numbers;(2 ) date and place of birth; (3) hom e address and telephone numbers;

(4) personnel cell phone and pager numbers"G" - FOREIGN GOVERNMENT INFORMATION - The identity of a foreigngove rnmen t and/or foreign service to include the na me s of foreign law enforcem entemployees/officials.

21/133

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELANDSECURITYTRANSPORTATION SECURITYADMINISTRATION

Aviation Security Directive

Subject: Threat to U.S.Airports - No Fly andSelectee ListsNumber: SD 1542-01-1 OB Date: April 22, 2003EXPIRATION: IndefiniteThis Security Directive (SD)sup erce des and cancels SD 1542-01-10A and must beimplemented not later than April 29,2003. Revised proceduresare indicated by boldtext.INFORMATION: The Transportation Security Administration (TSA)has receivedinformation indicating that the individuals on the No Fly and Selectee Lists associatedwith this SD could pose a threat to civil aviation and national security.This SDprovides procedures that airport operatorsare to follow to compare individualswhose names appear on the No Fly and Selectee Lists with direct employees and thoseemployees to which the airport has issued Security Identification Display Area (SIDA)identification media, or is considering issuing SIDA identification media.

REVISION SUMMARY: Revises procedures for comparing names of direct employeesand those employeesto which the airport has issued SIDA identification media or is considering issuingSIDA identification media against the No Fly and SelecteeLists Provides guidanceand direction to restrict or prohibit access to the SIDA andothersterile areas of the airportACTIONS REQUIRED BY A IRPORT OPERATORS REGULATED UNDER 49 CFR 1542:The requirements of this SD are applicable to Category Xthrough IV airports that arerequired to maintain SIDAs and sterile areas.I. TSAwill provide No Fly and Selectee Lists to the security coordinator of each airportto which this SD applies. The No Fly and Selectee Lists will be provided viapassword protected email or may be obtained from TSA's secure webpage. All future

SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION

DOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A NEED TO KNOW, AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR 1520, EXCEPT WITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSIONOF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAYRESULT IN CIVIL PENALTY OR OTHER ACTION. FOR US. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5 U.S.C. 552.

REQ 13-11 000000004

22/133

SECURITY DIRECTIVE 1542-01-10BPage 2 of 3

updates (removal or addition of names) to the No Fly and Selectee Lists will beprovided in the same manner. Airport operators must conduct a comparisonbetween the names on the most recently issued No Fly and Selectee Lists andits direct employees and any other individual to whom the airport has issued,or is processing an application for SIDA, sterile area, or other identificationmedia that is evidence of employment at the airport.

SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATIONWARNING: THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION THAT IS CONTROLLED UNDER 49 CFR PART 1520. NO PART OF THISDOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A NEED TO KNOW, AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR 1520, EXCEPT WITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSION

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAYRESULT IN CIVIL PENALTY OR OTHER ACTION. FOR US.GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5 U.S.C. 552.

REQ 13-11 000000005

23/133

SECURITY DIRECTIVE 1542-01-1OBPage 3 of 2

II. Many non-Western cultures do not follow strict patterns in name order. The namesthatappear on the No Fly and Selectee Lists may be in varying order and spelling. Datasuch as date of birth, social security number, and passport number and country ofissue, will be provided by TSA when available. This data must be used when makinga comparison between names on the No Fly and Selectee Lists and those individualsto whom the airport has issued, or is processing an application for, SIDA, sterilearea, or other identification media that is evidence of employment at the airport.illNO FLYLIST ACTIONSA. If during the course of the name comparison, the airport operator determines ithas issued, or is processing an application for SIDA, sterile area, or otheridentification media that is evidence of employment at the airport, to an individualnamed on the No Fly List, the airport operator must immediately contact:

1. The nearest FBI Office.2. The Transportation Security Intelligence (TSI) Watch at 202-267-3099.B. If processing an application for SIDA,sterile area, or other identification mediathat is evidenceof employment at the airport, the airport operator must not issuethe media. For those individuals already issued SIDA, sterile area, or otheridentification media that is evidenceof employment at the airport, the airportoperator must suspend the media and prohibit the individual's access, whetherescorted or unescorted, to the SIDA and sterile areas until the status of theindividual is determined by the FBI.

IV. SELECTEE LIST ACTIONSA. If during the course of the name comparison, the airport operator determines ithas issued, or is processing an application for SIDA, sterile area, or other

identification media that is evidence of employment at the airport to a directemployee and that employee is named on the Selectee List, the airport operatormust immediately contact:1. The nearest FBI Office.2. The Transportation Security Intelligence (TSI) Watch at 202-267-3099.

B. In relation to identification media:1. If the employee has applied for SIDA,sterile area, or other identification mediathat is evidence of employment at the airport, the airport operator must notissue the media until the FBI clears the employee. An airport operator mayissue other than SIDA identification media if that employee will be subject toscreening in accordancewith the SD1542-02-03 series prior to entrance intoany sterile area of the airport.2. Do not permit the employee access to the SIDA if the employee hasalreadybeen issued a SIDA identification media unless that employee isaccompanied

SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATIONWARNING: THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION THAT IS CONTROLLED UNDER 49 CFR PART 1520. NO PART OF THISDOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A NEED TO KNOW, AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR 1520, EXCEPT WITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSION

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAYRESULT IN CIVIL PENALTY OR OTHER ACTION. FOR US. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5 U.S.C. 552.

REQ 13-11 000000006

24/133

~~~~ SECURITY DIRECTIVE 1542-01-10BPage 4 of 3

by an escort who has been issued a SIDA media, or the employee is cleared b yth e FBI.

AIRPORT OPERATOR ACKNOWLEDGMENT: The Airport Operator must immediately providewritten confirmation to the Federal Security Director (FSD) indicating receipt of this SD.

AIRPORT dissemination: The FSD will disseminate this SD to the Airport SecurityCoordinator (ASC) and any law enforcement element having 49 CFR 1542responsibilities at that airport. No other dissemination may be made without priorapproval of the FSD.Airport Law Enforcement Agency Network (ALEAN) affected members who currently have amemorandum of agreement with the TSA will also receive this SD from the TSA. No otherdissemination may be made without prior approval of the Administrator. Unauthorizeddissemination of this document or information contained herein is prohibited by 49 CFR 1520.

APPROVAL OF ALTERNATIVE MEASURES: With respect to the provisions of this SD, anairport operator may submit in writing to the FSD, proposed alternative measures and thebasis for submitting the alternative measures, for approval by the Assistant Administratorfo r Aviation Operations.FOR TSA ACTION ONLY: The TSA shall issue this SD immediately to 49 CFR 1542 airportsCategory X through IV and to the corporate security element of all affected U.S. aircraftoperators.

IslJ. M. Loy, AD MAdministrator

SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATIONWARN I N G- THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION THAT IS CONTROLLED UNDER 49 CFR PART 1520. NO PART OF THISDOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A NEED TO KNOW, AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR 1520, EXCEPT WITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSION

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAYRESULT IN CIVIL PENALTY OR OTHER ACTION. FOR US. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5 U.S.C.S52.REQ 13-11 000000007

25/133

V.T

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELANDSECURITY

TRANSPORTATION SECURITYADMINISTRATION

Aviation SecurityDirectiveSubject: Threat to U.S.Aircraft Operators - Selectee ListNumber: SD 1544-01-21C Date: April 22, 2003EXPIRATION: IndefiniteThis Security Directive (SD) supercedes and cancelsSD 1544-01-21B and must beimplemented not later than April 29 , 2003. Revised proceduresare indicated by boldtext.INFORMATION: The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has receivedinformation indicating that individuals on the Selectee List associated with this SD maywarrant additional scrutiny prior to boarding to ensure they do not pose a threat to civilaviation and national security.This SDprovides procedures that aircraft operators are to follow to verify the identity ofindividuals whose names appear on the Selectee List. The procedures outlined hereinapply to passengers carried by the aircraft operator and the aircraft operator's directemployees.REVISION SUMMARY: Revises procedures for verifying the identity of individuals whose names appear onthe Selectee List Revises procedures to restrict or prohibit access to restricted areas of an airport byaircraft operator employees whose names appear on the Selectee ListACTIONS REQUIRED BY AIRCRAFT OPERATORS REGULATED UNDER TITLE 49.CODEOF FEDERAL REGULATIONS (CFR). PART 1544: If you are an aircraft operator coveredby49 CFR 1544, you must implement all the measures set forth in this SD.

I. TSAwill provide a Selectee List to the security director or designee of eachaircraft operator required to implement this SD. The Selectee List will beprovided via password protected email or may be obtained from TSA's securewebpage. All future updates (removal or addition of names) to the Selectee Listwill be provided in the same manner. Aircraft operators must conduct acomparison between the names on the most recently issued SelecteeList and

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OFTHETRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION,WASHINGTON, DC20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAYRESULT INCIVILPENALTY OR OTHER ACTION. FOR U.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5 U.S.C. 552.

REQ 13-11 000000008

26/133

.-U01 IJ.UUO- - - - - - - -|' Security Directive 1544-01 -21 C

] Page 2 of 4

those passengers checking in for flights. Additionally, aircraft o perators mustalso conduct a comparison between names on each updated Selectee List and alldirect aircraft operator employees and those individuals to which the aircraftoperator has issued S ecurity Identification Display Area (SIDA) identificationmedia, or is considering issuing SIDA identification media.

II. Many non-Western cultures do not follow strict patterns in name order. Thenames that appear on the Selectee List may be in varying order and spelling.Data such as date of birth, soc ial security number, and passport number andcountry of issue, will be provided by ISA when available. This data must be usedduring the flight check-in process to assist in the determination of an individual'sstatus as outlined in Section III of this SD.m. PASSENGERS

Should an individual whose name appears on the Selectee List present himself orherself to the aircraft operator for transport, the aircraft operator must completethe following procedu res prior to allowing the passenger and bags on board theaircraft:A. Compare all available passenger data (date of birth, social security number,and passport number and country of issue) to information on the Selectee Listto determine if there is a match.B. If the passenger matches both name and one piece of identifying data or thereis an exact name match and no additional identifying data is provided to youon the Selectee List, the aircraft operator must:

1 . Designate the person as a selectee for enhanced screening procedures.2. Clear all c hecked baggage belonging to the passenger, if any, inaccordance with the measures in AOSSP Section VIII.E.3. Ensure the passenger and all their access ible property are subjected tosecon dary screening either at the security screening che ck point or at thegate in accordance with SD1544-01-10 series.4. Immediately contact the following:

a. The nearest FBIOffice if within the United States or the UnitedStates legal attache at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate ifoutside the United States.b. The local Federal Security Director, if within the United States or itsterritories, who will alert other air carriers of that airport of the

situation.c. The appropriate law enforcement officials at the airport if outsidethe United States, advising them of the situationC. Each aircraft operator must develop a system to document passengersprocessed in accordance with Section III.B. above, and the system must beapprove d by the aircraft operator's Principal S ecurity Inspector.(PSI). The

SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATIONWARNING: THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION THAT IS CONTROLLED UNDER 49 CFR PART 1520. NOPART OF THISDOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A NEED TOKNOW, AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR 1520, EXCEPT WITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSION

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAY RESULT IN CIVILPENALTY OR OTHER ACTION. FOR U.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLICAVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5 U.S.C. 552.

REQ 13-11 000000009

27/133

Mage 31 x Security Directive 1544-01 -21C

, Page 3 of 4

system must include a recordof verification check of the informationprovided on the SelecteeList. A record must be maintained at each stationof all flights operatedwith passengers who are designated as selectees inaccordance with this SD, listing the name of each passenger and thenames of the two aircraft operator representativeswho completedtheverification. These records must bemaintained at the station for aminimum of seven (7)days if in the United States or 180days if outside theUnited States.

SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATIONWARNING: THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION THAT IS CONTROLLED UNDER 49 CFR PART 1520. NO PART OFTHISDOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONS WITHOUTA NEED TO KNOW, AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR 1520, EXCEPTWITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSION

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAY RESULT INCIVILPENALTY OR OTHER ACTION. FOR U.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5U.S.C. 552.

REQ 13-11 000000010

28/133

29/133

Security Directive 1544-01-21CPage 5 of 4

receipt of the informationand directivesset forth in this SD.

SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATIONWARNING: THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION THAT IS CONTROLLED UNDER 49 CFR PART 1520 NO PART OF THISDOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A NEED TO KNOW. AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR 1S20, EXCEPT WITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSION

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAY RESULT IN CIVILPENALTY OR OTHER ACTION. FOR U.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5U.S.C.SSL

R E Q 13-11 000000012

30/133

, , Page 6Security Directive 1544-01-21CPage 6 of 4

The aircraft operator shall disseminate this information to senior ma nagement personnel,GSC's, and supervisory security personnel at locations within the United States and itsterritories. Aircra ft operator security personnel at each location should coordinate thedistribution of information in this SD with local airport management and law enforcementpersonnel on a strict need-to-know basis. All recipients must limit dissemination within theirrespective organizations to personnel with an operational need-to-know. All aircraft operatorpersonnel implemen ting this SD must be briefed by the aircraft opera tor on its content and therestrictions governing dissemination.APPROVAL OF ALTERNATIVE MEASURES: With respect to the provisions of this SD, theaircraft operator may submit in writing to its Principal Security Inspector (PSI) proposedalternative mea sures and the basis for submitting the alternative measures, for approval bythe Ass istant Administrator for A viation Op erations. The a ircraft operator shallimmediately notify its PSI whenever any procedure in this SD cannot be carried out by theaircraft operator or its agents, or is not being carried out by a governm ent authority chargedwith performing security procedures.FOR TSA ACTION ONLY : The TSA shall issue this SD immediately to the cornorafpelement of all affected U.S. a ircraft operators and to local airport managem ent andassociated law enforcement officials.

/s /J. M. Loy, ADMAdministrator

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAY RESULT IN CIVILPENALTY OR OTHER ACTION. FORU.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5 U.S.C. 552.

REQ 13-11 000000013

31/133

(3tch%20List%20SD-l544-01-20B%2ft^ted%204-22-03[1].doc ,- I . ,.Pa9e1

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELANDSECURITY

TRANSPORTATION SECURITYADMINISTRATION

Aviation Security DirectiveSubject: Threat to U.S.Aircraft Operators - No FlyListNumber: SD 1544-01-20B Date: April 22, 2003EXPIRATION: IndefiniteThis Security Directive (SD) supercedes and cancels SD1544-01-20A and must beimplemented not later than April 29,2003. Revised procedures are indicated by boldtext.INFORMATION: The Transportation Security Administration (TSA)has receivedinformation indicating that individuals on the No Fly List associated with this SDcouldposeathreat to civil aviation and national security.Therehave been many instances where the name of a passenger is identical or similar toan individual on the No Fly List.This SD provides revised guidance and directionconcerning use of the No Fly List and procedures aircraft operators are to follow toresolve nameconflicts. Affirming the incorrect identity of the individual can causeunnecessary embarrassment and inability to board aflight. Additionally, this SD revisesprocedures currently in placewhich prohibit aircraft operator employees whose namesappear on the No Fly List, access to restricted areas of airports.

REVISION SUMMARY: Revises procedures for verifying the identity of individuals whose names appearonor aresimilar to names on the No Fly List Provides guidance and direction for the use of the No Fly List and procedures aircraftoperators are to follow to quickly resolveconflicts Revises procedures to restrict or prohibit access to restricted areas of an airport byaircraft operator employees whose names appear on the No Fly List

ACTIONS REQUIRED BY AIRCRAFT OPERATORS REGULATED UNDER TITLE 49. CODEOF FEDERALREGULATIONS (CFR).PART 1544: If you are an aircraft operator coveredby49 CFR1544,you must implement all themeasures set forth in this SD.I. TSAwill provide a No Fly List to the security director or designeeof each aircraftoperator required to implement this SD. The No Fly List will beprovided viapassword protected email or may beobtained from TSA's secure webpage. All

SENSITIVESECURITY INFORMATION

DOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A NEED TO KNOW, AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR 1520, EXCEPT WITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSIONOF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAY RESULT INCIVIL

PENALTYOR OTHER ACTION. FORU.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5 U.S.C. 552.

REQ 13-11 000000014

32/133

-2QB%'2pdated%204-22-Q3[1]'.dbc""" - ' , . . . . . . . . - page2< i Security Directive 1544-01-20B IPage 2 of 1

future updates (removal or addition of names) to the No Fly List will be provided in^ the same manner. Aircraft operators must conduct a comparison between the

SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATIONWARNING: THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION THAT IS CONTROLLED UNDER 49 CFR PART 1520. NO PART OF THISDOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A NEED TO KNOW, AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR 1520, EXCEPT WITH THEWRITTEN PERMISSION

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAY RESULT IN CIVILPENALTY OROTHER ACTION. FOR U.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDERSU.S.C. 552.

R E Q 13-11 000000015

33/133

J3ted%204-22-03|:i].doc ,' > Page 3'f Security Directive 1544-01-208 |' Page3 of 1

names on the most recently issued No Fly List and those passengers checking nfor flights. Additionally, aircraft operators must also conduct acomparisonbetween names on each updated No Fly List and all direct aircraft operatoremployees and those individuals to which the aircraft operator has issued SIDAidentification media, or is processing an application for SIDA identificationmedia.Many non-Western cultures do not follow strict patterns in name order. The namesthat appear on the No Fly List may be in varying order and spelling. Data suchasdate of birth, social security number, and passport number and country of issue,will be provided by TSA when available. This data must be used during the flightcheck-in process to assist in the determination of an individual's status as

outlined in Section III of thisSD.PASSENGERS

A. Check Prior to Arrival: When passenger reservation data is available inadvance of the arrival of a passenger for check-in, the aircraft operator mustconduct a comparison of its flight reservation system to the most current NoFly List. During this process, if an aircraft operator matches a name and atleast oneadditional piece of identifying data on its flight reservation systemwith the No Fly List, excluding a match of identifying data that appears n theRemarks Section of the No Fly List, the aircraft operator must immediatelycontact the following:1. The nearest FBI Field Office, if the departing flight is within theUnited States, or the United States legal attache at the nearest U.S.Embassy or Consulate, if the departing flight is outside the United States.2. The Transportation Security Intelligence (TSI) Watch at 202-267-3099.3. The local Federal Security Director, if the departing flight is within theUnited States,who will alert other aircraft operators at that airport of thesituation.

B. Clearanceat Check-In (Within the United States): Upon arrival of apassenger for check-in at an airport in the United States, the aircraftoperator must conduct a comparison between the names on the mostrecently issued No Fly List and their flight reservation system. During thisprocess, if an aircraft operator matches a name and, if provided, at least oneadditional piece of identifying data on its flight reservation system with aname on the No Fly List, excluding a match of identifying data that appearsin the Remarks Section (if the passenger matches data in theRemarksSection, see III. B. 4.), the aircraft operator must deny transportation to thatindividual, their accessible property, checked baggage,and any otherindividual(s) accompanying the passenger and their baggage unless clearedby the following process:1. Contact the appropriate local law enforcement officials and ensure theresponding Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) compares all available data

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION,WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAY RESULT IN CIVILPENALTY OROTHER ACTION. FORU.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER t U.S.C. 552.

REQ 13-11 000000016

34/133

544-01 -20B%^i3ted%204-22-Q3[1].doc 717T..7.l'"~NF Security Directive 1544-01 -20B' Page 4 of 1

(date of birth, social security number,pas sport number and country ofissue, etc.) to determine if the individual is a match.

SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATIONWARNING: THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION THAT IS CONTROLLED UNDER 49 CFR PART 1520. NO PART OF THISDOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A NEED TO KNOW. AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR 1520, EXCEPT WITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSION

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION. WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAY RESULT INCIVILPENALTY OROTHER ACTION. FOR U.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5 U.S.C. 552.

R E Q 13-11 000000017

35/133

%20List%20SD-1544-01 -20B%2Q^|ted%204-22-03[1 J.doc _ Page 5"'i Security Directive 1544-01-20B TPage 5 of 1

2. If the LEO determines there is no matching data from the No Fly Listother than the individual's name, the aircraft operator may accept theindividual as a passengerfo r transport.3. If the LEO determines that an individual matches the name and at least

one additional piece of identifying data (requirement to match additionaldata does no t apply where only a name is listed) from the No Fly List, theaircraft operator must immediately contact the following:a. The nearest FBI Field Office.b. The Transportation Security Intelligence Watch at 202-267-3099,c. The local Federal Security Director who will alert other aircraftoperators at that airport of the situation.

4. Match of identifying data that appears in the Remarks Section of the NoFly List. TSA may provide identifying data in the Remarks Section of theNo Fly List for an individual who bears a name that is the same as, orsimilar to, a name on the No Fly List, but who is permitted to fly. Thisidentifying data will beused to confirm that the individual is not theperson identified as a threat on the N o Fly List.

a. TSA will accept, from individuals only, written requests fo r relief from the No FlyList clearance procedures of III. B. 1., 2., and 3.b. If TSAestablishes that an individual requesting relief is not on theNo Fly List, TSAwill include in the Remarks Section of the No FlyList the identifying data that distinguishes the cleared passengerfrom the individual who is prohibited from flying.c. An aircraft operator must implement a system approved by its

Principal Security Inspector (PSI) that:(1) Utilizes the data provided in the Remarks Section of the NoFly List to clear an individual for flights at check-in withoutthe procedures, listed in III. B. 1., 2., and 3.(2) Provides a procedure to verify that an authorized aircraftoperator representative responsible for verification of the NoFly List applies these clearance procedures.(3 ) Maintains at each station a record of every flight that operatedwith an individual who was cleared to fly with these clearanceprocedures, including listing the name of each individual and

the names of two representatives of the aircraft operator whocompleted the verification. These records must be maintainedat the station for a minimum of seven (7 ) days.C. Clearanceat Check-In (Outside of the United States): Upon arrival of apassenger for check-in at an airport outside of the United States, the aircraftoperator must conduct a comparison between the names on the mostrecently issued No Fly List and their flight reservation system. Whenan

SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATIONWARNING: THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS SENSITIVESECURITY INFORMATION THAT IS CONTROLLED UNDER 49 CFR PART 1520. NO PART OF THISDOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A NEED TO KNOW. AS DERNED IN 49 CFR 1520, EXCEPT WITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSION

OFTHE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE HAY RESULT IN CIVILPENALTY OR OTHER ACTION. FORU.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITYTO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5 U.S.C. 552.

REQ 13-11 000000018

36/133

I I." _- Security Directive 1544-01-20B| Page6of1 j

individual matches information on the No Fly List, excluding a match of identifyingdata that appears in the Remarks Section (if the passenger matches data in theRemarks Section, see III.C.4.), an aircraft operator must deny transportationto that individual, their accessible property,checked baggage,and any otherindividual(s) accompanying the passengerand their baggage unless clearedby:1. The United States legal attache at the nearest U. S. EmbassyorConsulate.2. The Transportation Security Intelligence (TSI) Watch at 202-267-3099.3. Additionally, the appropriate aw enforcement officials at the airportshould be notified.4. Matchof identifying data that appears in the Remarks Section of the NoFly List. TSA may provide identifying data in the Remarks Section of theNo Fly List for an individual who bears a name that is the same as, orsimilar to, a name on the No Fly List, but who is permitted to fly. This

identifying data must be used to confirm that the individual is not theperson identified as a threat on the No Fly List.a. TSAwill accept, from individuals only, written requests for relieffrom the No Fly List clearance procedures of this SD.b. If TSA establishes that an individual requesting relief is not on theNo FlyList, TSAwill include in the Remarks Section of the No FlyList the identifying data that distinguishes the cleared passengerfrom the individual who is prohibited from flying.c. An aircraft operator must implement a system approvedby itsPrincipal Security Inspector (PSI) that:

(1) Utilizes the data provided in the Remarks Section of the NoFly List to clear an individual for flights at check-in,alleviating the requirement to process the passenger throughthe proceduresof III.C.1., 2., and 3.(2) Provides a procedureto verify that an authorized aircraftoperator representative responsible for verification of the NoFly List applies these clearance procedures.(3) Maintains at each station a recordof every flight thatoperated with an individual who was cleared to fly with theseclearance procedures, including listing the name of each

individual and the names of two representatives of theaircraft operator who completed the verification. Theserecords must bemaintained at the station for a minimum ofone hundred and eighty (180) days.IV. AIRCRAFT OPERATOR EMPLOYEES

SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATIONWARNING: THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION THAT ISCONTROLLED UNDER 49 CFR PART 1520. NO PART OF THISDOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONSWITHOUT A NEED TO KNOW, AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR1520, EXCEPTWITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSION

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAYRESULT IN CIVILPENALTY OROTHER ACTION. FORU.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER SU.S.C. 552.

REQ 13-11 000000019

37/133

Security Directive 1544-01-208Page 7 of 1

A. Aircraft operators must conduct a comparison between names on eachupdated No Fly List and its direct aircraft operator employees and thoseindividuals to which the aircraft operator has issued, or is processing anapplication for SI DA, sterile area, or other identification media that isevidence of employment with the aircraft operator.

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAY RESULT INCIVILPENALTY OR OTHER ACTION. FOR U.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5 U.S.C. 552.

REQ 13-11 000000020

38/133

Security Directive 1544-01-2013Page 8 of 1

B. If during the course of the name comparison an aircraft operatordetermines it has issued, or is processing an application for a SIDA, sterilearea, or other identification media that is evidence of employment with theaircraft operator, for an individual named on the No Fly List, the aircraftoperator must immediately contact the following:1. The nearest FBI Field Office, if within the United States, or the UnitedStates legal attache at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate, if outside

the United States.2. The Transportation Security Intelligence Watch at 202-267-3099.3. The local Federal Security Director who will alert other aircraft operators

at that airport of the situation.C. If processing anapplication for a SIDA, sterile area, or other ID media that isevidence of employment with the aircraft operator, the aircraft operator mustnot issue the media. For those individuals already issued SIDA. sterile area,

or other identification media that is evidence of employment with the aircraftoperator, the aircraft operator must suspend the media and prohibit theindividual's access, whether escorted or unescorted, to the SIDA and sterileareas until the status of the individual is determined by the FBI.

AIRCRAFT OPERATOR ACKNOWLEDGMENT: Upon receipt of this SD, the aircraft operatorshall provide immediate written confirmation to its assigned PSI, indicating that they havereceived this SD.AIRCRAFT OPERATOR dissemination required: The aircraft operator shall immediately passthe information and directives set forth in this SD to all stations affected, and provide writtenconfirmation to its assigned PSI, indicating that all stations affected have acknowledgedreceipt of the information and directives set forth in this SD .The aircraft operators shall disseminate this information to senior management personnel,GSC's, and supervisory security personnel at locations within the United States and itsterritories. Aircraft operator security personnel at each location should coordinate theinformation inthis SDwith local airport managementand lawenforcement personnel on a strictneed-to-know basis. All recipients must limit dissemination within their respective organizationsto personnel with an operational need-to-know. All aircraft operator personnel implementingthis SD must be briefed by the aircraft operator on its content and the restrictions governingdissemination.APPROVAL OF ALTERNATIVE MEASURES: With respect to the provisions of this SD, asstated in 49 CFR 1544, aircraft operators may submit inwriting to their PSI, proposedalternative measures and the basis for submitting the requests, for approval by the AssistantAdministrator for Aviation Operations. The aircraft operator shall immediately notify its PSIwhenever the aircraft operator or its agents cannot carryout any procedure in this SD, or isnot being carried out by a government authority charged with performing security procedures.

SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATIONWARNING: THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION THAT IS CONTROLLED UNDER 49 CFR PART 1S20. NOPART OF THISDOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A NEED TO KNOW, AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR 1520, EXCEPT WITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSION

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAY RESULT IN CIVILPENALTY OR OTHER ACTION. FOR U.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5 U.S.C. 552.

REQ 13-11 000000021

39/133

:1544-01-20B%2Q^ted%204-22-03[1].doc!; "" ' \. "Page 9t j Security Directive 1544-01-20B T?

Page 9 of 1

SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATIONWARNING: THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATIONTHAT IS CONTROLLED UNDER49 CFR PART 1520. NOPART OF THISDOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A NEED TO KNOW. AS DEFINED IN 49 CFR 1520. EXCEPTWITH THE WRITTEN PERMISSION

OF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAY RESULT IN CIVILPENALTY OROTHER ACTION. FOR U.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5 U.S.C. 552.

REQ 13-11 000000022

40/133

H,ated%204-22-03[1].doc ;\e10Security Directive 1544-01-208Page 10 of 1

FO R ISAACTION ONLY: The TSAshall issue this SD immediately to the corporate securityelement of all affected U.S. aircraft operators and to local airport management and associatedlaw enforcement officials.

FO R STATE DEPARTMENT: Retransmittal to appropriate foreign posts is authorized. Postmust refer to STATE 162917, 201826Z Sep 01, Subject: FA A Security Directives andInformation Circulars: Definitions and Handling, for specific guidance and dissemination.

Is lJ. M. Loy, ADMAdministrator

SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATIONWARNING: THIS DOCUMENTCONTAINS SENSITIVE SECURITY INFORMATION THATIS CONTROLLED UNDER 49 CFR PART 1520. NOPARTOF THISDOCUMENT MAY BE RELEASED TO PERSONS WITHOUT A NEED TO KNOW, ASDEFINED IN 49 CFR 1520, EXCEPT WITHTHE WRITTEN PERMISSIONOF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, WASHINGTON, DC 20590. UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE MAY RESULT IN CIVILPENALTY OR OTHER ACTION. FORU.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, PUBLIC AVAILABILITY TO BE DETERMINED UNDER 5 U.S.C. 552.

R E Q 13-11 000000023

41/133

(R e v . 01-31 -2003 )

FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION

Precedence: PRIORITYTo: All Field Offices

All LegatsCounterterrorism

Date: 06/09/2003Attn: ADIC/SACASAC Counterterrorism

JTTF SupervisorsAirport Liaison AgentsFBIHQ, Manuals DeskAttn: Section Chief, ITOS ISection Chief, ITOS IISection Chief, DTOSUnit Chiefs

From: CounterterrorismSpecial Events Management Unit/Civil Aviation Security ProgramContact: SSA Alexis Louise Smollok, (202) 324-0242Approved By: Mefford Larry APistole John SHarrington T JDrafted By: Smollok Alexis Louise:alsLightfoot JohnCase ID #: 3OOB-HQ-C1184203-K (Pending)66F-HQ-C1384970Title: TSA NO FLY AND TSA SELECTEE LIST;PROCEDURES TO ADD OR REMOVE NAMESReference: 265A-NY-280350-WLC Serial 98265A-NY-280350-WLC Serial 89265A-NY-280350 Serial 158666F-HQ-C1392852 Serial 8Enclosure: The following three TSA Aviation Security Directives,dated April 22, 2003, are enclosed:(1) SD-1544-01-21C, "Threat to U.S. Aircraft Operators-SelecteeList"(2) SD-1542-01-10B, "Threat to U.S. Airports-No Fly and SelecteeLists"; and,(3) SD-1544-01-20B, "Threat to U.S. Aircraft Operators-No FlyList. "

REQ 13-11000000024

42/133

To: All Field Of? Jes From: Counterterrori:Re: 300B-HQ-C1184^d3-K, 06/09/2003

Synopsis: To advise of procedures established to provide consistentapplication of names submitted by the FBI to the TransportationSecurity Administration (TSA) No Fly and Selectee Lists.Details: Background:

On October 15, 2001, the FAA issued Security Directives(SB's) after receiving lists of individuals associated with Al-Qaedafrom both the CIA and the FBI. The SB's contained a list of personswho were believed to pose a threat to civil aviation security. Thisprocess was refined to a coordinated policy and protocol between theFBI, CIA, and FAA (now the TSA) to identify persons who may pose athreat to civil aviation security. Since late 2001, there have beenrefinements - t o the protocol in which persons are either placed on orremoved from either list. The TSA maintains the two lists and namesare submitted mostly by the CIA and the FBI, but also from theDepartment of Homeland Security/Bureau of Immigration and Customs.Enforcement, TSA, and on occasion, other agencies.

The TSA No Fly List and TSA Selectee List are not to beconfused with other watch lists, such as:a. Terrorist Watch List (TWL),b. National Crime Information Center Violent Gang andTerrorist Organization File (VGTOF),c. Department of State (TIPOFF System),d. Consular Lookout and Support System (CLASS),e. Bepartment of Homeland Security (formerly TreasuryDepartment) Treasury Enforcement Computer System (TECS),f. Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (formerly

United States Customs Service and Immigration andNaturalization Service) Interagency Border InspectionSystem (IBIS), andg. National Automated Lookout System (NALS).Definitions of each list

The persons on the TSA No Fly List are to be prevented fromusing U.S. commercial aviation, since they have been deemed by theTSA to be a threat to civil aviation security, based upon informationreceived from various sources. These individuals may not usecommercial aviation as long as their name appears on the TSA No FlyList.When a person on this list arrives at an airport andattempts to fly, the airline is required to alert local lawenforcement. Local law enforcement authorities will be the primaryresponse to determine if the person at the airport matches the personon the list. If there is a positive match, then the local law

REQ 13-11 000000025

43/133

To: All Field Of., j:es From: Counterterrori. IRe : 300B-HQ-C1184203-K, 06/09/2003

enforcement authorities will contact the local FBI Field Office'sAirport Liaison Agent or Joint Terrorism Task Force. The FBI shallthen respond to the airport to conduct further investigation,including identity checks, consensual interview, and notification toFBIHQ. Such responses should be documented at the field divisionlevel.A detention is generally warranted for individuals with anoutstanding arrest warrant, or if investigation reveals the person ison an operational terrorist mission.The persons on the TSA Selectee List are not known to be athreat to aviation, but an agency has said . they may have a possibleconnection to terrorism or a terrorist organization. Passengersdetermined to match the name on this list are subject to enhancedpre-boarding security screening measures, and ultimately, arepermitted to travel on commercial aviation. The .airlines are also

required to notify both local and airport law enforcement and thelocal FBI office. However, as long as individuals are subject toenhanced screening, additional law enforcement review is notrequired.The backbone to the regulatory process for the civilaviation industry is Security Directives, issued by the TSA (formerlyFederal Aviation Administration). Over the past twenty months, theTSA has issued updated SD's that outline actions for airportoperators and airlines in regard to names appearing on either the TSANo Fly List or TSA Selectee List.In essence, the SB's advise airport operators to (1) check

applicants for airport ID card (e.g., SIDA badge) applicants namesagainst the TSA No Fly List and TSA Selectee List, and (2) outlineprocedures for airlines to check passengers names and employees forname matches from either list. Responses to positive nameidentification may require FBI involvement for further identificationand interview after screening by local or airport law enforcement inquestionable cases of identity.To control all names placed on and removed from both the TSANo Fly List and TSA Selectee Lists by the FBI, a separate controlfile (300B-HQ-C1184203-K), has been established for accountabilitypurposes in the Counterterrorism Division. This file number shall beappropriately referenced in all documentation.

Procedures to add or remove a person for both lists:' The Counterterrorism Division has developed the followingprocedures to add a person to either the TSA No Fly List or TSA/\e List. TSA has concurred with the following procedures:

REQ 13-11 000000026

44/133

To: All Field Of?! ies From: Counterterrori*,Re : 300B-HQ-C1184'^03-K, 06/09/2003

1. A substantive terrorism case, such as a 265 and 199 or a266, must be open on the subject. (Neither a Headquartersnor Field Office's control file may be used for thispurpose.)

2. Submissions to either the TSA No-Fly List or the TSASelectee List must be done via an EC that is uploaded withunrestricted text. The person's name and identifyinginformation must also be indexed in UNI. Submissions toadd or remove a person via an e-mail message or telephonecall will be denied.3. The EC must include all of the following:

a. The substantive file number(s) and the control file number(300B-HQ-C1184203-K);b. Addressed to the following three units in t - h ^

Counterterrorism Division at Headquarters:(1) the appropriate FBIHQ operational unit;(2) Terrorist Watch and Warning Unit, Room 11303; and(3) Special Events Management Unit/Civil Aviation SecurityProgram, Room 11795.

c. The Synopsis section of the EC should state: "Request toadd [or remove] [Name] [DOB], a U.S. citizen [or US ER ornon-USPER] , to [or from] the TSA No Fly List [or TSASelectee List]." Example: Request to add John Q. Citizen,DOB 03/15/1971, a U.S. citizen, to the TSA No Fly List.

d. The Details section of the EC must specify: (1) which ofthe two lists (TSA No-Fly or TSA Selectee) the personshould be added or removed, (2) whether the person is anUSPER (citizen), USPER (non-citizen, such as a PermanentResident Alien or lawful non-immigrant visa status), or anon-USPER, and (3) complete identifying information.e. For all persons -- including non-citizen USPERs and non-USPERs -- the EC must include a (1) full name, (2) gender,and (3) a complete date of birth. Year of birth or

approximate age will not be sufficient. TSA will not adda person to either list without these three pieces ofinformation.f. For USPERs, and non-USPERs when the information isattainable, the identifying information shall include all

REQ 13-11 000000027

45/133

To: All Field Off l e s From: CounterterroritRe: 300B-HQ-C1184203-K, 06/09/2003

other known identifiers, such as: known aliases, country oforigin, passport number, alien registration number,address, Social Security Number, driver's license number,physical description.g. The Details section of the EC must describe: (1) theperson's known or suspected connections to terrorism or aterrorist organization, and (2) the reasons to believe theperson poses a threat to civil aviation security.h. The Details section of the EC must include a point-of-contact who is thoroughly familiar with the case, such asthe case agent, co-case agent, and/or supervisor. The POCshould be available at all hours (24/7) in case questionsarise about the person placed on the list. Include direct-dial work numbers, pager number, and cellular number for'each POC.i. The Leads section of the EC must include at least fourleads to the Counterterrorism Division:

(1) the operational unit's Unit Chief to review andapprove;(2) the operational unit's SSA;(3) Terrorism Watch and Warning Unit ("Read and clear"),and(4) Special Events Management Unit/Civil Aviation Security

Unit ("Read and clear").Approval of request4. Note that only a Unit Chief or higher in the CounterterrorismDivision at HQ may approve the inclusion (or deletion) of aperson onto either list. No one in any field office or LegalAttache has approval authority.

a. Approval to add to the TSA No Fly List: If the Unit Chief(or higher) approves the request to add a person, thenhe/she will add the following statement: "The FBI considersthis person to be a threat to civil aviation security."b. Approval to delete from the TSA No Fly List: If the UnitChief (or higher) approves the request to delete a person,then he/she will add the following statement: "The FBI nolonger believes this person is a threat to civil aviationsecurity."

REQ 13-11 000000028

46/133

;To: All Field Off" es From: Counterterroris/"N,Re: 300B-HQ-C1184^.3-K, 06/09/2003 v. /

c. Approval to add to the TSA Selectee List: If the UnitChief (or higher) approves the request to add a person,then he/she will add the following statement: "The FBIbelieves this person may have a possible link to terrorismand may be a threat to civil aviation security."d. Approval to delete from the TSA Selectee List: If the UnitChief (or higher) approves the request to delete a person,then he/she will add the following statement: "The FBI nolonger believes this person to be a threat to civilaviation security."

5. If the Unit Chief or higher in the operational unit in theCounterterrorism Division approves the addition to or removalfrom either list, then it is the responsibility of theoperational unit to coordinate with the TSA's detailees on the-FBI's National Joint Terrorism Task Force (NJTTF) for inclusionor deletion.The TSA's detailees to the NJTTF are currently Stuart O'Neil andJorge Dominguez. They will forward the approved request to TSAfrom for placement (or removal) on the appropriate list.

Mandatory review of USPERs6. If an USPER is added to either list, then the submittor of theUSPER is required to review whether the person should remain onthe list. This mandatory review will occur when the case isclosed and every 12 0 days after the date of the EC thatrequested submission of that person to the list. Note that an

USPER can remain on the list even if the Field Office has closedtheir investigative or intelligence case, as long as there isjustification to do so. The justification would have to bearticulated in an EC uploaded to the substantive and controlfiles, and it must include articulable facts that the personcontinues to pose a threat to civil aviation security. Even ifthe Field Office has closed the case, it is still required toconduct a review and document the results every 120 days.The results of the review -- that is, the reasons to maintainthe person on the list or the reasons to remove the person fromthe list -- will be documented in an EC that is uploaded withunrestricted text. The EC will be sent, as above, to the sameunits in the Counterterrorism Division with the same leads,described above.If the Field Office, Legat, or operational unit in theCounterterrorism Division concludes prior to the closure of the

1 o o o n n n n o o

47/133

/" . " *

To: All Field Off- f es From: CounterterrorisxRe: 300B-HQ-C1184203-K, 06/09/2003

case, or prior to the mandatory 120 day review, that the personno longer poses a threat to civil aviation security, then an ECshould be submitted immediately to request deletion from thelist.Distribution of the lists

The most current TSA No Fly List and TSA Selectee List are e-mailed to all Airport Liaison Agents, Legats, and Joint TerrorismTask Force members as soon as they are received from the TSA by theCounterrorism Division, Special Events Management Unit/Civil AviationSecurity Program. Dissemination of these lists may occur as much astwice daily. The points-of-contact in that unit are SSA AlexisSmollok, (202) 324-0242, and IOS Brenda Jones: (202) 324-8693.The lists are also posted on the FBI's Intranet, SIOC Operations,TSA/FBI Support Page, which is located at: . '

http://30.5.100.249/opsupport/faasupport/FBI response to an airport

If an FBI response is warranted, then full database checks andother appropriate investigation should be conducted and documented.The Terrorist Watch and Warning Unit is available 24/7 at (202) 324-1220 as a resource to check ACS and NCIC on possible matches.If FBI searches are negative, but it is determined the person isa match, then the field agent should contact the TSA's 24-hourcommand center at (202) 267-3099 f or background information. TSA'-scommand center maintains documentation on all persons on both lists

provided to them by the FBI and all other agencies who contribute tothe lists. For these instances, it is recommended that responses topositive name matches on the lists be maintained in the appropriateairport liaison or civil aviation security file in the fielddivision.For Legat response purposes, individuals appearing on the TSA NoFly list may not utilize U.S. commercial aviation. Interview andidentification of the individual will rest within the appropriatelocal law enforcement jurisdiction, at the request of the FBI. If theindividual uses a foreign-flag air carrier to attempt to enter theU.S. and cannot be prevented from traveling, the FBI office at thearriving city must be contacted for appropriate action as soon aspossible. For reference, it is the responsibility of the TSA toinclude names appearing on the TSA No Fly List to also be entered inTIPOFF and TECS.In instances in which individuals are prevented from flying andwish to voice their objection, the TSA, Office of the Ombudsman has

REQ 13-11 000000030

48/133

To: All Field Ofl Jes From: Counterterrori^.Re: 300B-HQ-C1184203-K, 06/09/2003

been organized to handle such matters. They can be contacted, inwriting, at: Office of the Ombudsman, Transportation SecurityAdministration, 601 South 12th Street, Arlington, VA 22202.

REQ 13-11 000000031

49/133

/-S. . "VTo: All Field Off J*s From: Counterterrori4 ,)Re: 300B-HQ-C1184V203-K, 06/09/2003 V'"

ISA Security Directive 1544-01-20A[Note that this SD was replaced on April 22, 2003 by TSA SD-1544-01-20B, but is included here for background]:

US Department of TransportationTransportation Security AdministrationCivi l Aviation SecuritySecurity DirectiveInformation of Concern to Aviation Security Personnel:Cur ren t Security Procedures Should be ReviewedSubject: Threat to U.S. Airc raft Operators No F ly ListNumber : SD 1544-01 -20ADate: Apri l 5, 2002EXPIRATION: Indef ini teThis Securi ty Direct ive (SD) 1544-01-20A supercedes and cancels the SD 108-01-20 and mus t be implemented immedia te ly uponreceipt by corporate offices.I N F O R M A T I O N : The TS A has received information indicat ing th e i nd iv idua l son the list associated with this Security Directiveare dangerous and could pose a threat to civilaviat ion.REVIS ION S U M M A R Y :

-Updates regulatory citations.--Provides an additional option for clearing passengers listed on the No Fly list.ACTIONS REQ UIRED BY AIR CARRIERS REGULA TED UND ER TITLE 49. CODE OF FEDERAL REGU LATIONS (CFR). PART1544: If you are an aircraft operator covered by 49 CFR Part 1544, yo u must implement all the measures se t forth in this SD .I. TSA wil l provide a No Fly List to you. All future updates to the l ist wil l be forwarded by the TSA to your corporate securityoffice under separate cover. It is anticipated that .names may be added or removed from this l ist . When you receive an updatedNo Fly List, you must im med iately conduct a comparison of passengers boarding all f l ights, as well as screeners and direct aircarrier employees.II. Ma ny non-Western cultures do not follow strict patterns in name order. The names that appear on the No Fly List may be invarying order and spell ing. Data such as Date of Birth, Citizenship, Passport N umb er, etc. wil l be prov ided wh en available.III. PASSENGERSA. Should you find in your f l ight reservation system an indiv idual whose name appears on the No Fly List, you mu st imm ediatelynotify:The nearest field office of the FBI, and at overseas locations th e nearest United States Embassy.B. Should an individual whose name appears on the No Fly List present himself or herself fo r transport, you must denytransportation fo r that individual, their accessible property, checked baggage and any person(s) accom panying that individua land th eir baggage until cleared by one of the fol lowing processes:

KEQ 13~1:L 000000032

50/133

. .

To: All Field Off jes From: CounterterroriRe : 300B-HQ-C1184^G3-K, 06/09/2003

LEAD(s) :Set Lead 1: (Info)

ALL RECEIVING OFFICESDisseminate as appropriate.-

13-11 000000035

51/133

52/133

"S"VISADOCUMENTS SUFFICIENT TO DESCRIBE THE FBI'S ROLEIN THE "S" VISAS PROGRAM FOR INDIVIDUALS W HOHAVE SUPPLIED TERRORIST-RELATED INFORMATION

TO U.S. LAW ENFORC EMENT, INCLUD ING THE NUMBEROF INDIVIDUALS TO WHOM "S" VISAS W ERE ISSUED

SINCE SEPTEMBER 11, 2001, AND WHETHER SUCHPERSONS WERE ASSOCIATED WITH IMMIGRATION-RELATED DETAINEES PROGRAM, THE VOLUNTARY

INTERVIEW PROGRAM, TH E AB SCO ND ERINIATIATIVE ,OR ANOTHER FBI ACTIVITY.

RESPONSIVEto

REQUEST #13-14

COMMISSION COPY

53/133

9/11 COMMISSION TASK FORCEDOCUMENT DELETION CODES[As of August 11, 2003]

"A" - SOURCE/INFORMANT INFORMATION - Information, the disclosure ofwhichwould tend to reveal th e identity of an informant or source where confidentiality isexpressed or implied."B" - FBI TECHNIQUES AND/OR METHODS - Information on sensitive FBItechniques and/or methods which would impede or impair th e effectiveness of thattechnique and/or method.11C" - NON-RELEVANTFBI CASE INFORMATION - Information neither relevant norresponsive to the Commission's requests."D" - FBI PENDING CASE INFORMATION - Information which would impede orjeopardize a pending investigation of the FBI."E" - STATUTORY - Information legally prohibited from release by statute."F" - PRIVACY/SECURITY - Information, the disclosure of which would be anunwarranted invasion of the personal privac