t5 b68 bin laden flights- state fdr- entire contents- withdrawal notice- dos materials- 2 press...

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T5 B68 Bin Laden Flights- State Fdr- Entire Contents- Withdrawal Notice- DOS Materials- 2 Press Reports (1st Pgs f

1/21

Current Operations Page 1 of 1

Diplomatic O verflight and Landing C learancesISO is responsible for issuing diplomatic clearances to all foreigngovernment aircraft that wish to enter U.S. airspace. ISO issuesdiplomatic clearance numbers and coordinates interagency activityrelated to the flight. This procedure applies to aircraft both landing in oroverflying U.S. territory. Foreign embassies are required to submitapplications at least 72 working hours prior to arrival in the U.S. or itsterritories. Other overflight duties include: ISOsends a representative to special events, such as theOlympics and the annual UN General Assembly, that involve aheavy volume of foreign governmen t aircraft transporting VIPsinto U.S. airspace. ISO ssues diplom atic clearances to all foreign government (non-military) aircraft arriving at U.S. airbases overseas As necessary, ISO representatives hold workshops for foreignembassy officials to educate them on the overflight and landingclearance process.

For further information on diplomatic overflight and landing clearancesgo to www.useg.org.Personnel Recovery (PR)ISO represents theDepartment in DoD andinteragency discussions a ndplanning pertaining to therecovery of personnel whoare isolated or in distressabroad.

http://www.state.gOV/t/pm/iso/c7954.htm 7/21/2004

• 8/14/2019 T5 B68 Bin Laden Flights- State Fdr- Entire Contents- Withdrawal Notice- DOS Materials- 2 Press Reports (1st Pgs f

2/21

WITHDRAWAL NOTICERG: 148 Exposition, Anniversary, and Mem orial Com missionsSERIES: 9/11 Comm ission Team 5, FRC B ox 31

NND PROJECT NUMB ER: 51095 FOIA CASE NUMB ER: 30383WITHDRA WAL DAT E: 11/06/2008

BOX: 00009 FOLDER: 0014 TAB: 3 DOC ID: 31205166COPIES: 1 PAGES: 5

The item identified below has been w ithdrawn from this file:FOLDER TITLE: Bin Laden Flights-StateDOCUMENT DATE: DOC UM ENT TYPE: ChartFROM:TO:SUBJECT: Log from the USA 9/11 Terrorist Task Force

This docum ent has been withdrawn for the followin g reason(s):9/11 Classified Information

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

3/21

D E C 2 PH 5 19

S/S 200329667

United States Department of StateWashington, B.C. 20520December 2, 2003

MEMORANDUM FOR MR. DANIEL MARCUSGENERAL COUNSEL

NATIONAL COMMISSION ON TERRORIST ATTACKS UPONTHE UNITED STATES

SUBJECT: National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon theUnited States (Request for Documents No. 8,Installment 1)

This is in response to the National Commission on TerroristAttacks Upon the United States' eighth request for Department ofState documents.

Attached is the first installment of documents responsiveto the Commission's Department of State Document Request No. 8.This installment consists of "S v unclassified documents.

We hope this information is useful to you. As always,please do not hesitate to contact us if you have furtherquestions .

IUH /V/vv, < \Karl HofmshnExecutive Secretary

Attachments:Tab 1 - Incoming RequestTab 2 - Documents Responsive to DocumentRequest No. 8

UNCLASSIFIED

4/21

D E C 2 P H 5 H 9

S/S 200329667United States Department of StateWashington, D.C. 20520

December 2, 2003

MEMORANDUM FOR MR. DANIEL MARCUSGENERAL COUNSEL

NATIONAL COMMISSION ON TERRORIST ATTACKS UPONTHE UNITED STATES

SUBJECT: National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon theUnited States (Request for Documents No. 8,Installment 1)

This is in response to the National Commission on TerroristAttacks Upon the United States' eighth request for Department ofState documents.

Attached is the first installment of documents responsiveto the Commission's Department of State Document Request No. 8.This installment consists of 5 unclassified documents.

We hope this information is useful to you. As always,please do not hesitate to contact us if you have furtherquestions.

Karl HofrExecutive Secretary

Attachments:Tab 1 - Incoming RequestTab 2 - Documents Responsive to Document

Request No. 8

UNCLASSIFIED

5/21

TAB 1

KcanC H A I H

HamiltonCHAIRBen-Veniste

S. GordkkCotton

Roemer3 R. Thompson

DOSDOCUMENT REQUEST NO. 8The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States (the"Commission") requests that the Department of State (DOS or the "respondent")provide the Commission with copies of the following documents no later thanNovember 11,2003 (the "production date"):1. AH records relating to the departureof Saudi nationalsby airplane from the United

States while the national airspace was closed to commercial aviation after theSeptember 11,2001 terrorist attacks, including flight manifests or other documentsrelated to the individuals on those flights.

The Commission request? that the documents requested above be provided as soonas they are available, even though all requested documents may not be provided atthe same time, through means of a "rolling"production.If any requested documents are withheld from production, even temporarily, basedon an alleged claim of privilege or for any other reason, the Commission requeststhat the respondent, as soon aspossible and in no event later than the productiondate, identify and describe each such document or class of documents, as well as thealleged basis for not producing it, with sufficient specificity to allow a meaningfulchallenge to anysuch withholding.

If the respondent does not havepossession,custodyor controlof any requesteddocuments but has information about where such documents may be located, theCommission requests that the respondent provide such information as soon as possibleand in no event later than the production date. .If the respondent has any questions or concerns about the interpretation OF scope ofthese document requests, the Commission requests that any such questions or concernsbe raised with the Commission as soon aspossible so that any such issues can beaddressed and resolved prior to the production date.October 28,2003 Daniel Marcus

General Counsel

TE L

6/21

""*"?09/11/2001/I'8/2001 - 09/20/2001 Bin Laden family Charter, Ryan International Airlines Flight 44 123 Passengers, no children, 20 Passengers were interviewed based upon thediscretion of the FBI.A maid was not interviewed.

The wife and son of Khalil Bin Laden w ere present during interviews, bu twe re not interviewed separately. . K halil Bin Lade n was interviewed twice prior to the departure date. He then calledthe interviewing agent and requested security assistance in getting to the airport. Athird interview was conducted during the ride. Searches of the aircraft an d passenger luggage were conducted, identities werechecked against the manifest , and record checks were conducted.

Prior to 09/23/2002, several chartered flights which contained Saudi passengers drew aconsiderable amount of attention. These flights are summarized below. After 09/23/2002,an undetermined number of Saudis departed theUnited States aboard commercial and tchartered aircraft. *09/14/2001 Prov idence Rhode Island Charter flight 4 Passengers, no children. Extensive investigation including follow-up interviews were conducted into 2002.09/16/2001 Jetlease USA Charter flight from Lexington, KY 14Passengers, no children. All passengers were identified andconfirmed prior to departure. INS, USCS, and

FBI records were checked.09/19/2001 Las Vegas Charter Flights (three flights) 48 Passengers (three children) on 09/19/2001, 18 passengers (no children) on

09/20/2001; 34 passengers (one child) on 09/24/2001 FBI SAC of Las Vegas made contact with the Saudis at the Hotel prior to departurean d obtained copies of passport an d passenger lists. Record checks were conducted and interviews were conducted where necessary. 5 individuals in the party were interviewed b ecause of information in niA.3 departed on 9/19/2001, with no derogatory inform ation in IIIA.One departed on 9/20/2001, with no derogatory information in HIAOne, a US citizen intended to depart fo r Boston commercially sometime

after 9/20/2001, was not identical to information in IIIAFollowing departure of these three flights a subpoena was served for telephone records ofthe party. No connections to the 19 hijackers of 09/11/2001 were identified.We have information about one Saudi Airline flight which arrived on 09/10/2001 in thecourse of normal b usine ss. This flight was stranded at New ark International in New Jerseyalong with al l other commercial flights at the time. As of 09/13/2001 the flight was still

14-4 000000006

7/21

9/11 Personal Privacy

Northstar Aviation flight to Paris. France from Providence. Rhode Island Pacific Jet Company made a f l igh t reservation for 9/14/2001 to travel from Providence,

Rhode Island at 1 1 :00 am EST to Paris, France vi a Northstar Aviation. Type of aircraft isundocumented.

The reservation wasmade for 4 individuals: Sheik Mashour A l Ibrahim, Abdullah AlShwran, A ly f taf fan Soliman, and Younef Brahim Jaballah..Flight w as paid for by/ /totaling$75,00.00 for the trip including 1500 Ibs. of luggage at the request of Sheik Mashour Al

, Ibrahim's business manager]

Rene Lannoy is a security guard and coordinator of travel for Al-Ibrahim and Al-Shwran.Lannoy made th e f l ight arrangements for the aforementioned individuals.Searches/Investigative Steps: On 9/14/2001, FBI RI identifiedand interviewed, Al Ibrahim, Al Shwran,Soliman and Jaballah at Northstar Aviation in Warwick, RI. In addition to interviews an d ED checks, luggage was searched with negative

results. FBI checks, INS checks, Watchlist, and various consent searches were conducted.Each produced negative results.Extensive investigation revealed no information to suggest travel by Al Ibrahim, AlShwran, Soliman and Jaballah within New England was connected to any terrorist orcriminal activity.Other Agencies involved: USCS; USINS; DCIS; Rhode Island SPD; Warwick PD; Boston PD; and TF

Green PD

REQ 14-4 000000016

8/21

REPUBLIC OF GABON-FLAGGED fF l i gh t DC-8-731Supporting Summary: (Saudi Nationals BoardingFit. DC-8-73)Name1. PrinceAbdulmajeed bin Abdulaziz2. Princess Sara bint Abdul Mohsen al-Anyary3. Prince Faisal bin Abdulmajeed4. Prince Abdulaziz bin Faisal bin Abdulmajeed5. Prince Turki bin Faisal bin Abdulmajeed6. Princess Sultana bint Ibrahim A. al-Brahim7. Princess al-Anoud Bint Faisal8. al-Jouharah Moheisen al-Anyary9. Mr. Mohammed A. al-Tayari10. Hesham Ahmed Aki11. Amani M. M. al-Sharif12. FatimahM. S.Khati1 3. Omar Y. M. Taraweh14. Roqayah H. Sh. Fallata1 5. Hussein Abdelrahim16. Khalid H. A. al-Assaf1 7. Ahmed Abd al-Razek18. Aisha B. A. Trawi19. Sultan S. A. A. al-Amri20. H. A. M.Hassan21. Salma Kassem Daou22. NormaTamano23. Abdallah Issa Zineh24. Moustafa Maher al-Behidy25. Hassan Mohammed Abd al-Razek26. SalahNaseral-Din27. Medhat Mohammed Rizk28 . Mohammed Shawkat Ah"29. Mohammed A.M. al-Shihiri30. Talaat A ly Zenhoum31. Hayat H.A. al-Hazmi32 . Ali Faizy Delwar33. Saeedah A.M. al-Mobarak34. Faisal M.S. al-Harbi35. Rahma Saeed O. Ali36. Fatmah S. O. Ali37. Hussein Y.A. Ashmawi38. Tariq Y. Houthan39 . BadrA. S. Durayin40. Mohammed A. M. al-Zahrani

Date of Birth

9/11 Personal PrivacyREQ 14-4 O O O O Q 0 0 2 0

9/21

41. Khal idA. S. al-Jamili42. Medhat Mohammed Taha43. Hassan Sayed Soliman44 . Samir Saber Soliman45 . Mansour S. R. al-Harbi46 . Mohammad S. S. al-Harbi

9/11 Personal Privacy

REQ 14-4 000000021

10/21

CHARTERED fF l ig h t B 727-21)Suppor t ing S u m m a r y ; (Saudi Nationals Boa rding Fit B 727-21)N a m e1. Saad M. A. al-Sowailem2. Ali Abdulrahman3. M oteb R. O. al-Oufi4. Waleed S. A. al-Ajroush5. Nasser M. A . al-Swelim6. Zouheir Karim C hehayeb7. Badr Mohamed Hassan8. Ashraf Gharib Taher9. Mohamed Ishak Tolba10. Hesham Mahmoud Selim11. Gualberto Glore12. Hazem Abdul Karim13. Gamel Ibrahim al-Talwany14. Sulaiman E. A. al-Eissa15 . Abdullah D. A. al-Shahrani16 . Mohamm ed Abda lla Abou Gabil17. Gilles Gerard18. F a h d A . S. al-Salem

Date of Birth

9/11 Personal Privacy

R E Q 14-4 000000023

11/21

A M E R I C A N T R A N S A IR f F I i gh t A TA L-10inSuppor t ing Summary: (Saudi Nat ionals Boarding Fit. ATA L-1011)N a m e1. Princess Medhawi bint Abdulaziz al-Saud2. Prince Turki bin S aad bin Mo hamm ed bin Abdu laziz al-Saud3. Prince Saud bin Saad bin Mohammed bin Abdu laziz al-Saud4. Prince S arah bin Saad bin Mohammed bin Abdulaziz al-Saud5. Prince Alanoud bin Saad bin M ohammed bin Abdu laziz al-Saud6. Dr. Badr Hassan bin Shalho ub7. Mohammed al-Yahya8. Samilrah Hammad9. The(illegible) Hammad10. Noufal-(illegible)11. Luhway Abdul M(illegible)12. Sharif al-Sayed Hegazy13 . Ashraf Abou Shakrah14. Tyaha Soliman Karrar15. Agata Ok(illeg ible)16. FadhilaRojeb17. Boubaker Bou(illegible)18. HindK(illegible)19. ZkreaB(illegible)20. Bedrays Ahmed C(illegible)2 1 . Rugalya Adam Mohammed22. Wagd? Abdu l Samad Abbas23 . Ab(illegible) Yaqoub Ahmed24. GretaA(illegible)25. Princess Abta bint Abduiaziz bi n Saud26. MahmoudF. El(illegible)27. HindMahla /28. AishaA. Asir?29. Gala? Mahmoud Me?w(illegible) Al-Agz30. Am aarB(illegible) Abdul M ut(illegible)31 . Fatima I(illegible) Mohammed N(illegible)jumudeen32. Mu mu n B. T. A(illegible)min Saleh33. Prince Sultan bin Abdu laziz bin Turki al Saudi34. Princess Taghraed bint Abdu laziz al-Saud

Date of Bir th

Note: Record checks were co ndu cted based up on the narhes and iden tifiers contained in theidentification documents.

9/11 Personal Privacy

REQ 14-4 000000025

12/21

DEPARTMENT OF STATE

i

V

September 9, 2001

September 11, 2002

September 4, 2003' (3'August 1, 2003

Fax with details of visit of Saudi PrinceNaif Al-Saud"The bid Ladens' Great Escape" fromThe National Review; (from files of SaudiArabia desk officer David WhiddonE-Mail from Sandi Charles to Saudi ArabiaDesk Officer David WhiddonFax from Saudi Embassy with list of 24 peoplewho left the U.S. shortly after 9/11/2001

13/21

POLCATS CASE

FOC NUMBER: FL -

CLASSIFICAXTOSr CODE:

OI3E2 CASE AGENT:01ESR CASE AGENT:

PC. eas* eaded.

Sigiater* & DaCB SigxzaCure S Date

caiCllC T 2C1 3CMC ISPOIP02P03P O Tp o gP09

!***AAAAAMAA'AAA'j

14/21

DIPLOMATIC SECURITY SERVICEPROTECTIVE UAISON DIVISION3507 International PL N.W.W athiflgton,D.C 20008202-895-3400 fax: 3413

FAXCOVER SHEET

TO: DS/P, DS/TTA, DS/Pn (BFO Direct)FROM: SAL 1 Date: September 10, 2001SUBJECT: Saudi Arabia -Visit of Prince Naif Al-SaudCASE #:01-1752 Case Classification:?10This transmission consists of//pages following this cover sheet If you failto receive allpages, please'cal/the Protective Liaison Division at the abovenumber.

9/11 Law Enforcement Privacy

15/21

Tint lj:l5

MODE - ieCRY TWNSHI9SION SWT-SSM8 li:B9 END=SEP-ieFILE N0.*aa

S7N NO. COW. ABB* 0. STOT10N HW/TB. NO . PfCSS DUWTICNOKO K ok OK

OS DPK imD S P 1 Iwoeas/oes

r a o x n e c n v z U A K O H uvmoN3S07I.tatwtfetai1.JCW.

CQ^ER SHEETTO: D S/ P ,FROM: J Date; September10,2001

: Saudi Arabia ^ V f e i t of Prince Naif Al-Saud^ CaseOasstficatioiKl'lO; iKi transmiasion conrists a f / f pages f o J J o w m g 4is cover sheet If jwi f a i lto receive all pages, please catf the Protective Liaison Division at die abovenumber.

9/11 Law Enforcement Privacy

16/21

Protective Liaison Division3507 InteraationalPIace N.W.Washington, D.C. 20008I " I

MemorandumTO:FROM:SUBJECT:Case Number: 2001 /Case Code Number PlO

Date: Septembet 10,2001DSS/FLD/MFODSS/P-L JSaudi Arabia - Visit of Prince Naif Al-Saud1752

REFERENCE: j /Secmity Coordination as deemed necessaryM e e t a n d Assist ' 9/11 Law Enforcement Privacy

D RFOA Detail-Ambassadorial:(D Telephonic NoclCcAtkxK to Local AuthoritiesD Enhanced PL

DATES: CITIES TO BE VISrrEEiKSee AttachedThe Protective Liaison Dtvisioa Control Agent for this matter is:

CCMMDENTS:Attached is for security coordination. Additional information has been requested and will beforwarded when received. Thank you.

Director, Reid O f f i c e Management

17/21

I C O V E R P A G EREVISIOND A T E : sensaaai p6, 2001

OF XAMILT

P(e*sftrfeBver tibWarand farm to:U.S. D ip3*taneftt at SSAOSetolPretficofVtsilsDrritfonRood 1233Z2D1 CStrctt,M.W.v v w K n s i o n , D . C . aosaoA T T N r

Tiqulrrifrt^^ '

SgCTQTH E ftUaASflABOR ORTHSCHflRJSfe ^AFFAIR,. -- ~

normalbtfnesshoan, ngweyrequerfs tmy be dicecttd tow Prri^allJ^onfcwlhrjVeJi-

9/11 Personal Privacy

18/21

9/11 Personal Privacy

T J N I X E D S T A T E S O S F I C E O F E R O T C K i O L' P X P A B . T M K N T O F S T A T XR E V I S E D K & J E D R E D P O U T C L E A R A N C E

n.Ts.w .f SAUDI ASUffltA. matnUlBeMaagflHitttotlull amum r f t t i i e . omrr*wJv**fatoiVeft8wrfertfimtn*t

IELBOIAL

X rwtofEntnr to Qw Voted StatetBOSTOT/BOS STfliAnwrtt

HZHH6CLB

09/12/01

EtUJTcUK. Anmlttmr6;45 p

Xmtc oTCacerin; firac

I A la:

. AirCanxrorMnlci i in ;OfCcc*r

r" Sm-IS\m t ruakMfine Oponfiwr lMfilWt4 rmgbt Mbrndlt f -

UnSet** Slmnt

-_

9/11 Personal Privacy

19/21

UNITED STATES OrFlCEOr PROTOCOLDEPARTMENTOf STATE

EXPEDITED PORTCLEARANCEREQUEST F O R MIf wined4 *(" th tovsfcf 72 hour*tl*ecHoBbeurtquifecl fcr 1rwel

ofHat jniomwftwi ta Unkc4SWes5*cr*Svic orDiplomaticPLEASE NOTE:THE AMBASSADOR OR THE.CHARS* ISREQUIREDTO SIGN BELOWTO CSOVYTHATTHE ACCOMPANYINGSEcURTTY PERSOMNEL ARETFUUN ED AND PROFICIENT IN THEUSE OFTeWEAPOM5 THAT THEY CAfcBX

has. M/06/01AMBA33AOOEUCHAR6$

Pfeasc Wiqt< tor each o f f i c e r :

JU T I M S . povwTtfrtvK niguwEan alCanmwn&t >!IPB.*

c. Motorcada (Japplcabte): Upon afiwal nurobw of vhd provided b y Embassy fo r motorcade;(Note: Corn tpen^ airports ef not cquipptd to hantfcWJcorjiVgCornrriaaes)iO. EtnbassyTrwODocuntffi Conknater(lr

i.thme

9/11 Personal Privacy

20/21

GET4FREEissues of Na t i on a l Reviewra w M A U T H O R sewcH I N R O H{phrase 1 avaaoi

B y r o n Y o r kNR WhJt* Hou Correspondent

Author Arci i ivtSend to Friend

t'nnt VetsB U I

September 11,2002 8:00 a .m .T h e b i n Ladens' Great E s c a p eHow the U.S. helped Osama's f a m i l y leave the c o u n t r y after 9/11.S1uclh> fertftuteFccaFTEEStucfcnfsGukto to PoWcal

B il l Caner, the FBI spokesman, is ad am an t. "We were givenfull access to the ind ividu als on that p lane," he says, "and wewere satisfied t ha t we did not believe any of those individualsh ad anything to do with th e 9/11 plots."I K T H E t & S U E

4 Free Issues ofN A T I O N A L R E V I E Wj=J= |U

SIM*

SVCMIT aetinuac

The plane to wh ich Carter refers was anaircraft chartered by t he S aud i governm entin th e days after th e terrorist attacks. Theindividuals were two dozen m em bers ofO s a m a b in Laden ' s extended fam ily who hadb een l iving in th e Uni t ed S tates. S aying theywere afraid t ha t fami ly m em b ers m igh tsuffer retr ibut ion in th e U.S., th e Saud i s 'asked for Am erican assistance in gettingthem out of t he coun t ry. With t he h e lp of theFBI, th e S a u d i s and t he b in Laden fami lychartered an aircraft to p ick u p fam ilym em bers in Los Angeles , O rlando, andWashington, D.C. The bin Laden p lane thenflew th e relatives to Boston, where oneweek after the a t tacks th e group leftLogan Airport bou nd for Jedd ah.At the t im e , the m a s s iv e 9/11 investigationwas ju st beginning. The governm ent had begun detainingh u n d red s of people who were held fordays, weeks, or m o nth swh ile U .S. agents performed extensive background checksand

interviews. In addition, the governm ent announced its intentionto quest ion thou sands of m en from Musl im coun tries who m igh ts im ply h ave known som ething of interest to the investigation.

NationalReview[Selections fromthe 9/30/02 issue]tamer Sfcg

N R O 911Archive

FROM TH E JunHDR 1The Latest fromByron York:Will It Be Three?9/13After Owen: DoRepublicans Have qBattle Plait? 9/06Full Vjgfc Archive

From WW II toDien B ien PhuTravel w ith PriscillaBuckley throughsome of the biggestnew* events of the20th century.

Buv it onAmazon

http://www.nationakeview.com/york/york091102.asp 9/16/02

21/21

Whiddon, David JFrom: [email protected]: Thursday, September 04,20037:54 AMTo: [email protected]: n yt: w h ite h o u s e a p p r o v e d d e p a r tur e of saudis a f t e r 9/11

September 4, 2003White House Approved Departure of Saudis After Sept. 11, Ex-AideSaysBy ERIC LICHTBLAUASHINGTON, Sept. 3 - Top Whit e House officials personally approved theevacuation of dozens of influential Saudis, including relatives of Osamabin Laden,from the United States in the days after the Sept. 11, 2001, attackswhen mostflights were still grounded, a former Wh ite House adviser saidtoday.the adviser, Richard Clarke, who ran the White House crisis team aftertheattacks but has since left th e Bush administration, said he agreed totheextraordinary plan because th e Federal Bureau of Investigation assuredhim that thedeparting Saudis were not linked to terrorism. The White House fearedthat theSaudis could face "retribution" for the hijackings if they remained intheUnited States, Mr. Clarke said.The fact that relatives of Mr . bin Laden and other Saudis had beenrushed ou tof the country became public soon after the Sept. 11 attacks. Butquestionshave lingered about the circumstances of their departure, and Mr.Clarke'sstatements provided the first acknowledgment that the WhiteHouse hadany directinvolvement in the plan and that senior administration officialspersonallysigned off on it.

IMr. Clarke first made his remarks about the plan in an article in VanityFairdue out Thursday, and he expanded on those remarks today in an interviewandin Congressional testimony. The Whit e House said today that it had nocommenton Mr. Clarke's statements.The disclosure came just weeks after the classified part of aCongressionalreport on the Sept. 11 attacks suggested that Saudi Arabia had financiallinksto the hijackers, and Mr. Clarke's comments are likely to fuelaccusationsthat the United States has gone soft on the Saudis because ofdiplomatic