take a walk on the dark side: positioning & branding 4 startups & sith lords
out of 30
Post on 26-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONslides for my talk on branding for startups (Bangkok, July 2014)
- Branding & Positioning 4 Startups & Sith Lords Take A Walk On The Dark Side @DaveMcClure @500Startups #GoaP Bangkok, July 2014
- WARNING!!! this deck is guaranteed to offend, provide tragically incorrect advice, and perhaps get you arrested. so Fucking Deal with it.
- [This Talk] WTF is a BRAND?!? Be Different, Take Risk!!! Stand 4 SOMEthing. (or u stand 4 NOthing.) Tap Into Humanity: Fear, SEX, Power, etc. Be a Hero, or a Villain. (just dont fucking BORE me.) Pictures, Text, Music: they all say 1000 words. When It Works, Double Down. Be Yourself Only More So ! KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid.
- Dave McClure Founding Partner & Chief Troublemaker, 500 Startups 00s & 10s: VC: Founders Fund, Facebook fbFund, 500 Startups Angel: Mashery, Mint.com, SlideShare, Twilio, Wildfire, SendGrid Marketing: PayPal, Simply Hired, Mint.com, OReilly ! ! 80s & 90s: Entrepreneur: Aslan Computing (acqd by Servinet/Panurgy) Developer: Windows / SQL DB consultant (Intel, MSFT) Engineer: Johns Hopkins88, BS Eng / Applied Math
- 500 Startups Global Seed Fund & Startup Accelerator What is 500? $100M silicon valley VC fund + startup accelerator 30+ people / 10 investing partners Locations: SV, NYC, MEX, BRZ, IND, CHN, SE Asia 1500+ Founders / 200+ Mentors Community + Content + Conferences ! 800+ Portfolio Cos / 40+ Countries Wildfire (acq GOOG, $350M) MakerBot (acq SSYS, $400M) Viki (acq Rakuten, $200M) Simple (acq BBVA, $117M) Twilio SendGrid Credit Karma Udemy Barkbox HomeJoy Builk Taamkru Playbasis Eko Noonswoon
- [Interesting Shit]
- Read Geoffrey Miller. Sex + Evolution + Consumer Mktg = Awesome Sauce.
- More Great Shit. Psychology + Comics
- [Start(up) + Heart]
- NEGATIVE Emotion Examples Fear, Anger, Sadness, Pain, Pathetic, Pariah
- POSITIVE Emotion Examples Humor, Sex, Power, Daredevils, Babies & Kittens
- DO! Marketing & BRANDing (its not Evil most of the time ;) Tell a Story, Build a Storytelling Culture Identify by a Color, Animal, Number, Word, or other SINGULAR element Create Unique Position in Mind of the Market, relative to [Visible] Competition Embrace & Adopt Negative or Shameful Positioning when Necessary Know When to Get Back to Product
- What is BRAND? Brand (def): a name, term, design, symbol that identifies one seller's good or service as distinct from those of other sellers. Branding began as way to tell one person's cattle from another by a hot iron stamp. Branding is usually full of PAIN.
- Q: Who FEELS Your Brand? Customers Partners Investors Employees Press
- Be Different Take Risk.
- Be Different. Take Risk Early. U Have Nothing 2 Lose. Playing it Safe = Death. Pissing People Off is OK. (in fact, #WINNING) U Cant Build Brand around INDIFFERENCE. Niche 2 WIN (see blog post) Love *or* Hate are Ok. Both are Good Signal.
- Stand 4 SOMEthing. (or stand 4 NO-thing) CHANGE. POWER. SEX. PEACE. SEXIST!
- Ronda Rousey FIGHT. 19
- Stand 4 SOMEthing, or Stand 4 NOthing. Be Iconic. Single word or emotion. Dont be afraid 2b Hated. Dont be afraid 2b Shamed. Aim for the Moon. [Land on the Roof]
- Tap Into Humanity Fear, Sex, Power
- Tap Into Humanity Fear: What u run from Sex: Who we love, lust 4 Power: Ability 2 Control Ur World Family: Find Ur Tribe. Anger: Fight 4 Ur Right [2 Party]
- Be a Hero Be a Villain
- Be a Hero or Villain Who do u LOVE, Admire, Want 2 B? Who do u HATE, Despise, [secretly] jealous? Whatever u are Drawn 2 Just Dont Be BORING. Again: Indifference = Death.
- Say 1000 words. [or just 1 Finger]
- Say 1000 words. 1 awesome picture. 3 powerful words, or a few sentences. 30 sec meaningful music or video. Less is more. ! note: these slides are not less.
- If/When It Works Double Down.
- When It Works, Double Down. If someone loves u, its working. If someone hates u, its working. Once u get signal, try iteration, repetition. Once u get repetition, try variation. Good artists COPY; great artists STEAL (from themSELVES!)
- Be Your SELF. (But Be Ur SUPER Self)
- Always Be Your [SUPER] Self Start from the Heart. Be Yourself. Be Authentic. Be Comfortable. But: the MOST AWESOME, PASSIONATE u. Find a feeling or emotion u can sustain [sometimes even weakness can be ok]
View more >