the brave new nonprofit accountability world
Click here to load reader
Post on 07-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONKen Berger, Charity Navigator’s President & CEO, spoke about the importance of responsibility and transparency in the nonprofit sector at the first meeting of the Westchester chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
- 1.The Brave New NP Accountability World Presentation at AFP Westchester Ken Berger,President & CEO June 16, 2010
2. 3. The Explosive Growth of Nonprofits in the US 4. $1.9 Trillion in Public Charity Revenues * ~3,000 charities with annual revenues over $100 million **~100,000 charities with annual revenues over $1 million ~1.9 million Nonprofits 61% (1.2 million) are Public Charities (PCs) **6% of PCs get 96% of Revenues = $1.86 million *.2% of PCs get 59% of Revenues = $1.5Trillion 5. Accountability & Transparency 6. QUALITIES OF A HIGH IMPACT ORGANIZATION Accountability & Transparency Financial Health
- Positive, sustainable change
- Independently evaluated
HIGHER RISK INVESTMENT LOWER RISK INVESTMENT 7. Introducing CN 2.0 Financial Health Accountability/Transparency Effectiveness/Results More Comprehensive Rating System 8. Accountability & Transparency:IRS 990 Reporting Form Info. 9. Accountability & Transparency: Web Site Information 10. More on Web
- Does the charity web site have readily accessible information about the following:
- Its goals and objectives?
- Its strategies for achieving them?
- Its capacity for achieving them?
- How it measures progress in achieving them?
- What its measurements indicate about progress todate?
11. (The Nonprofit Marketplace Hewlett Foundation, 2008) *Includes Charity Navigator- evaluates nonprofits and provides meaningful information. ** Includes individuals, foundations, corporations and government funders. 12. The Battle for the Soul of the Nonprofit Sector 13. More Information
- Articles:in Philadelphia Journal of Social Innovation
- The End of Charity by David Hunter
- The Battle for the Soul of the NP Sector by Berger, Penna and Goldberg
- Book :Billions of Drops in Millions of Buckets: Why Philanthropy Doesnt Advance Social Progressby Steve Goldberg
- Web Sites
- www. alleffective.org
- Google: Nonprofit Effectiveness, Independent Sector
- www. WhatWorks.org
- Video : www.savingphilanthropy.org
14. Your Questionsand Our Web Addresses Website-www.charitynavigator.org Blogs-www.kenscommentary.org blog.charitynavigator.org Twitter-kenscommentary