The revolution has been cancelled: the current state of UK Open Access
Post on 17-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONOpening Keynote presentation by Yvonne Budden, University of Warwick, at Repository Fringe 2014.
- Grigori Goldstein (1870-1941) (1920) Lenin speaking at an assemble of Red Army troops Sverdlov Square, Moscow, on 5 May 1920 Public Domain Image The revolution has been cancelled: the current state of UK Open Access
- For their part, publishers tend to assume that OA advocates are freeloaders or - as ACSs Rudy Baum appeared to imply in 2004 - dangerous socialists. - Richard Poynder (2014) Poynder, R. (2014) Richard Poynder on the state of open access: Where are we? What still needs to be done? - http://poynder.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/the-state-of- open-access.html
- Revolution, n. An alteration, a change; esp. a dramatic or wide-reaching change in conditions, the state of affairs, etc.
- In the beginning
- connecting you with information, support and your community Disruptive technology
- A peoples revolution?
- Difficult definitions
- Revolution, n. Cyclical recurrence, esp. of a point or period of time; the passing or duration of a (usu. recurring) period of time (as a year, a season, etc.). by revolution, with the passing of time; in due course.
- Attitudes to OA
- Attitudes to OA - Warwick in favour of OA principles79.4% have made work open access Of those 67.1% used WRAP70.8% believe copyright of articles should remain with the author70.4% keep a copy of the AAM93.5% are happy with CC-BY licenses for their work48.6%
- Attitudes to the RCUK policy - Warwick 20% 23% 13% 10% 16% 13% 5% Strongly in favour Mildly in favour Neutral Mildly against Strongly against Don't know Not applicable
- Attitudes to the HEFCE policy - Warwick 16% 26% 14% 10% 12% 19% 3% Strongly in favour Mildly in favour Neutral Mildly against Strongly against Don't know Not applicable
- Carrots and sticks
- Issue of ownership http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:FACT_taxi.jpg
- Five year plan
- Swan, A and Houghton, J (2012) Going for Gold? The costs and benefits of Gold Open Access for UK research institutions: further economic modelling. Report to the UK Open Access Implementation Group. http://repository.jisc.ac.uk/610/ Released under the CC-BY 3.0 license - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/) -1,000,000 -500,000 0 500,000 1,000,000 1,500,000 2,000,000 Worldwide Gold OA Worldwide Green OA Unilateral Gold OA Unilateral Green OA GBPperannum Worldwide adoption of Open Access Unilateral adoption of Open Access
- Free markets?
- Revolution, n. Overthrow of an established government or social order by those previously subject to it; forcible substitution of a new form of government. In early use also: rebellion.
- All change?
- Which hat?
- The future of scholarly communications is
- connecting you with information, support and your community Thanks for listening! The revolution has been cancelled: the current state of UK Open Access Repository Fringe 2014, University of Edinburgh Informatics Forum, 30th July 2014 Yvonne Budden - Academic Support Manager (Research) and Chair (UKCoRR) email@example.com +44 2476 151275
View more >
Bonfils Blood Drive Cancelled Highlights of the Coming ... ?· Bonfils Blood Drive Cancelled Our June…
Cancelled Certification List 9001 Dec 2015 - tuv.com ?· No. Cert.-No. Cancelled Client Name Standard…
Payment cancellation Form Lost Cancelled - ?· Payment cancellation Form Lost Cancelled If this form…
LP SERVICE - RECC/Cancelled Tariff Pages/1985 Cancelled Tariff...For ENTIRE AREA SERVED Cornmunity,…
Restriction/Classification Cancelled 8QFODVVLILHG ?· 2013-04-10 · Restriction/Classification Cancelled…
The Deindustrial Revolution: The Decline of UK ... nbsp;· 06.03.2012 · The Deindustrial Revolution: The Rise and ... of the manufacturing sector in the UK since ... it also reflected poor relative growth of UK exports.
The Electric Vehicle Revolution - Energy UK and reports... · The Electric Vehicle Revolution is the…
Is UK Industry ready for the Fourth Industrial Revolution? ? Â· 2 Is UK Industry ready for the fourth Industrial Revolution? ... MES, CRM, and machine data) ... 6 Is UK Industry ready for the fourth Industrial Revolution?