the subjunctive-conditional “the possibilities are endless…”
Post on 22-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- The Subjunctive-Conditional The possibilities are endless
- Slide 2
- When do I use the Subjunctive-Conditional? In English, if we want to talk about something that isnt a reality, we use the subjunctive and conditional. If I could only understand the Subjunctive- conditional then I could ace the next test!
- Slide 3
- ur Agenda: Learn Conditional tenses Learn Conditional tenses Learn how to form them Learn how to form them Learn how to use them Learn how to use them PRACTICE PRACTICE Learn Subjunctive mood Learn how to form it Learn how to use it PRACTICE Writing exercise
- Slide 4
- The conditional limits a RESULT. When you hear Conditional Think if then
- Slide 5
- Forming a Conditional Statement Conditional statements have 2 parts. IF clause: the condition THEN clause: the result
- Slide 6
- Forming a Conditional Statement Conditional statements must have 2 things in the THEN clause. A MODAL + a VERB A MODAL + a VERB
- Slide 7
- CanMayWillMustShouldCouldMightWouldShall Ought to
- Slide 8
- Here are some Examples If I had money, I would buy a Christmas present. If we left now, wed arrive early. Id give them directions, if only I knew Chinese. Id love it if I had more sleep on Monday mornings. If you die, can I have your iPod?
- Slide 9
- What would you do if you had 1 billion dollars? What would you buy? Is it easy for you to give away money?
- Slide 10
- God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7 God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7
- Slide 11
- PRACTICE using the conditional! Do section (A) quietly and individually.
- Slide 12
- When do we use Conditional? Conditional tenses are used to express what we would do or what would happen. Relates RESULT to time/ other events Gives the prediction of a RESULTs completion.
- Slide 13
- What conditionals does Mayor Shelbourne give Flint? Why is the mayor able to convince Flint to do what he wants? If you could ask for a food from the sky, what would it be? Would you rather have unlimited ice-cream or unlimited chocolate? Conditional Mayor Shelbourne
- Slide 14
- You use the Subjunctive when you use your imagination. When you hear Subjunctive Think UNREAL
- Slide 15
- Subjunctive Form: The subjunctive looks the same as the past tense. The only difference is with the be verb, which always uses were and not was.
- Slide 16
- These examples look familiar! If I had money, I would buy a Christmas present. If we left now, wed arrive early. Id give them directions, if only I were Chinese. Id love it if I had more sleep on Monday mornings. If you die, can I have your iPod?
- Slide 17
- Rules for forming the Subjunctive in a Subjunctive Conditional statement The subjunctive always goes in the IF clause. Its like using past tense except for to be (say were instead of was) except for to be (say were instead of was) Has to be NON-Reality
- Slide 18
- If I ___(be) any animal ___(have) to pick one season of the year ___(know) the future ___(can use) either my arms or my legs for the rest of my life ___(give) money to anyone ___(be) 6 feet tall ___(see) rats living in my home ___(can go) anywhere in the world
- Slide 19
- PRACTICE using the subjunctive conditional! Do section (A) quietly and individually.
- Slide 20
- When does Flint use the subjunctive? Have you ever felt like Flint when you had a really good idea? If you were an inventor what would you invent? Would your invention somehow help others? Subjunctive
- Slide 21
- Put away $10.00 per week
- Slide 22
- Writing practice Write a paragraph with at least 5 setences and at least 3 subjunctive conditionals. Answer just one of these questions: 1.What would you do if you lived forever? 2.What would you do if you were the most famous person in the world? 3.What would you do if you were the richest person in the world? 4.What would you do if you knew everything?
View more >
EXAM Conditional Future Subjunctive with wants and uncertainty World issues grammar sections reading section writing section
The Life of the Subjunctive - ?· 1 The Life of the Subjunctive We use the Subjunctive to mentally and…
The Subjunctive - Maestra McCormick - Subjunctive The subjunctive is an important difference between…