the third soil - 17 december 2017 - tyron nel
of 32 /32
Embed Size (px)
- 1. God can do great things through the person who doesnt care who gets the credit.
- 2. Mark 4:15-20 Some people are like the seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them. Others, like seed sown on rocky places, hear the word at once and receive it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.
- 3. Mark 4:15-20 Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful. Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept it, and produce a crop some thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times what it was sown.
- 4. Third Soil Characteristics Initially Fruitful Lust for What the World Holds Pride of Life Desire for Glory and Wealth Robbed of their Purpose
- 5. How can we move beyond the third soil?
- 6. 1. Live for Gods Praise, not Mans
- 7. 1. Live for Gods Praise, not Mans Learn from Nebuchadnezzar That the Most High rules the kingdom of men, gives it to whomever He will, and He sets over the kingdoms the lowest of men. Daniel 4:17
- 8. 1. Live for Gods Praise, not Mans Downfall started when he wanted praise and Glory all for himself (Third Soil) Result: The king was driven from his throne Lived with the beasts of the field for seven years
- 9. 1. Live for Gods Praise, not Mans Redemptive story here: Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all of whose works are truth, and His ways just. And those who walk in pride He is able to put down. Daniel 4:37
- 10. 2. Comparison is the thief of joy STOP IT!!!
- 11. 2. Comparison is the thief of joy STOP IT!!! Saul Saul has slain his thousands, and David his tens of thousands 1 Sam 18:7 Fourth soil people: Genuinely happy for others Rid themselves of envy and jealousy Reproduce people to go ahead of you
- 12. 2. Comparison is the thief of joy STOP IT!!! In the end Saul was not going against David, but God himself His enmity towards David turned out to be hid enmity towards God
- 13. 2. Comparison is the thief of joy STOP IT!!! How did David move beyond the third soil? Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
- 14. 2. Comparison is the thief of joy STOP IT!!! Respect the calling on others people Honour Differences Avoid pulling down those with great influence Love what God is doing in you
- 15. 3. Practice self-forgetfulness
- 16. There is a world of vices hidden in the soul, but self-denial is the remedy of them all John Calvin
- 17. 3. Practice self-forgetfulness Lesson from Judas
- 18. 3. Practice self-forgetfulness Lesson from Judas None of us are immune to being a third soil Need to check our hearts daily
- 19. Without the principle of self-denial we are either led to indulgence in the grossest vices without the least of shame, or, if there is any appearance of virtue in us, it is spoiled by an evil passion for glory John Calvin
- 20. God is so far from being pleased either with those who are ambitious of popular praise, or with hearts full of pride and presumption, that He plainly tells us they have their reward John Calvin
- 21. 4. Lift others up
- 22. 4. Lift others up "How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How you are cut down to the ground, you who weakened the nations! For you have said in your heart: 'I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation on the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.' Isaiah 14:12-15
- 23. 4. Lift others up I will ascend into heaven I will exalt my throne above the stars of God I will sit on the mount of Congregation I will ascend above the heights of the clouds I will be like the Most High
- 24. 4. Lift others up Serve others Affirm and be interested in others Choose contentment
- 25. The Fourth Soil
- 26. The Fourth Soil Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept it and produce a crop 30, 60, or even 100 times what was sown. Mark 4:20
- 27. The Fourth Soil Live for Gods praise not mans Comparison is the thief of joy So STOP IT!!! Practice self-forgetfulness Lift others up
- 28. Philippians 2:5-11 In your relationships with one another, have the same mind-set as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to His own advantage;
- 29. Philippians 2:5-11 rather, He made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled himself by becoming obedient to death even death on a cross!
- 30. Philippians 2:5-11 Therefore God exalted Him to the highest place and gave Him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.