The Value-Adding Test Strategist
out of 14
Post on 19-Aug-2014
DESCRIPTIONHow can a Test Strategist add value to an organization? Can this value be measured?
- + The Value-Adding Test StrategistHow can a test strategist add value to an organization?
- + Introduction Testers can add value to an organization  Test Leaders can add value in a similar way to Project Managers (Generalization/Simplification) Test Tool Engineers provide value correlated to the tools they develop and maintain Managers and team leaders of test organizations add value  But how does a Test Strategist, Test Architect, or similar roles add value?
- + Different Test Roles Overview Tester Test Team Lead Line Manager Test Tool Engineer Test LeaderTest Strategist Project Manager Developer These are roles one person can have many roles
- + Test Strategist Value-Add Overview Document existing Methods & Processes Identifying Method & Process Improvements Driving Improvement Projects Improvement Projects Prepare Education Hold Education Competence Audit Education Set Long Term Test Strategy Audit Long Term Test Strategy Communicate Long Term Test Strategy Long Term Strategic Direction Set Project Test Strategy Audit Conformance to Test Strategy Test Risk Assessments Project Involvement
- + Long Term Strategic Direction Overview Survey Industry Best Practices of Test & QA Analyze & Define Company Context Create Context-Specific Long Term Test Strategy Identify Steps to Move in Strategic Direction Monitor Progress towards Strategic Direction Communicate Strategic Direction Start Improvement Projects to reach next Step together with Line Management Summarize Strategic View of Organization
- + Identify Improvement Projects Overview Gather Feedback & Ideas from Organization (Bottom-Up) Apply Knowledge & Experience to Ideas Summarize potential Improvement Projects Hold workshops with different groups; engineers, managers, PMs etc. Could use methods such as Systematic Inventive Thinking to refine ideasFormalize your own view on improvement potentials & problems (Top-Down) Present potential Improvement Projects to Organization Important to present to everyone who were involved in the workshops, and justify why the selected projects were chosen in favor of other potential projects
- + Documenting Existing Process & Methods Minimal high level documentation of processes and methods when possible Always strive for simplicity  Complicated detailed processes will be outdated almost as soon as they are written down Methods need to be explained in a simple way for people to understand them
- + Drive Improvement Projects Overview Define Measure Analyze Improve Control Lean Six Sigma 
- + Education Overview Competence Audit to identify Current Education Gap Identify potential Future Education Gaps Create Education Plan Create Education Material Prepare Education Session Together with Line Management Hold Education Session Receive Feedback on Education
- + Project Involvement Set Project Test Strategy Analyze Project Test Strategy Validity Analyze if Project Test Strategy is followed Test Risk Analysis Educate & Inform about Project Test Strategy
- + Test Strategist Value-Add Measurable Value Soft Value Driving Improvement Projects according to Lean Six Sigma Proposing & Rejecting Improvement Projects Competence Development Long Term Test Strategy Internal Education instead of External Education Organizational Involvement & Ownership of Long Term Test Strategy Organizational Awareness of Testing & QA Documenting Existing Processes & Methods Project Test Strategy Project Awareness of Test Strategy
- + Conclusion Long Term Test Strategy Project Test Strategy Driving Improvement Projects according to Lean Six Sigma Drives Directly Affects Value Not Easily Measurable Value Not Easily Measurable Value Measurable
- + Conclusion It is hard to measure the full value of a Test Strategist However the improvement projects that the Test Strategist runs, and the external education that can be replaced with internal education held by the Test Strategist are measureable Try to cover your costs with measurable value, and let the soft value be the extra value gain that the role provides
- + References  The Value-Adding Tester http://www.slideshare.net/JohanHoberg/the-valueadding-tester  How does a non-technical manger add value to a team of self-motivated software developers? http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/12/how-does-a-non-technical-manager-add-value-to-a-team-of-self-motivated-software-developers/?comments=1  Six Sigma http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Sigma http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_Six_Sigma  Simplicity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplicity
View more >
ADDING VALUE TO THE UK ECONOMY: BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT RESEARCH ?· ADDING VALUE TO THE UK ECONOMY: BUSINESS…
Value Adding and Sustainability after the farm ?· Value Adding and Sustainability after the farm gate…
Cognos - Adding the Prompt Value(s) to the Report Title - Adding the Prompt Value(s) to the Report Title…
Shopping Centre Car Parks: Adding Value to the Retail ... ?· Shopping Centre Car Parks: Adding Value…