Theorists to think about -Ways to prepare- Movement Ms Leah Stewart Unit 3A/B Drama Year 12
out of 21
Post on 24-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Theorists to think about -Ways to prepare- Movement Ms Leah Stewart Unit 3A/B Drama Year 12
- Slide 2
- Jerzy Grotowski Born 1933 Poland. Died 1999 Italy
- Slide 3
- Jerzy Grotowski One of the leading members of the Expressionist theatre movement. Expressionism - As opposed to having the primary aim of creating theatre to educate (like Brecht), to entertain (like Commedia dell'arte), or to be realistic (like Stanislavski); expressionistic theatre's main aim is to express emotion. BrechtCommedia dell'arte StanislavskiBrechtCommedia dell'arte Stanislavski Expressionistic theatre is different from realism - actors will behave how most people wouldn't in real life, their physical and vocal qualities exaggerating their emotions; sets designs will be exaggerated to emphasise the tone of the setting realismvocalsets designstonesettingrealismvocalsets designstonesetting His work influenced those wishing to change theatre. Developer of Poor theatre
- Slide 4
- Jerzy Grotowski Laboratory theatre Not an actual theatre, although it became the title of a theatre in 1971 (Thirteen Row Theatre in Opole) Institute that focused on the actor and the movement. In the 60s and 70s the ensemble toured the world showing the new ideas of theatre interpretation breaking down the barrier between audience and actor. Purpose was to question the nature of theatre.
- Slide 5
- The actor's first duty is to grasp the fact that nobody here wants to give him anything; instead they plan to take a lot from him, to take away that to which he is usually very attached: his resistance, reticence, his inclination to hide behind masks, his half-heartedness, the obstacles his body places in the way of his creative act, his habits and even his usual "good manners". Jerzy Grotowskis 9 th principle.
- Slide 6
- Poor Theatre Probably where Jerzy Grotowski is best known. Poor theatre is not a theatre form or style, it is a method and methodology of actor preparation like Stanislavskis system (style Realism) Wanted there to be a shift from theatre as a competitor and return it to simple roots actor + audience.
- Slide 7
- Poor Theatre Actors trained very rigorously and were put through very physical activities to gain total control. Grotowski stripped away anything that was not necessary in the preparation of a performance rehearsal blacks were worn, sets were taken away so the focus was on the actor not the image. Poor theatre is about elimination learn by eliminating the barriers to learning, produce art by eliminating unnecessary things, engage audience by eliminating social taboo.
- Slide 8
- Poor Theatre Grotowski believed that a highly trained actor was sacred. One of the key figures in developing political theatre in the 20 th century political and social themes in productions. There are 10 principles for actors to follow in Grotowskis actor preparation. Grotowski eventually ended up being propositioned by some of the most prominent companies. He refused.
- Slide 9
- Poor Theatre Grotowskis aims. Eliminate, not teach something (Via Negativa). Enhance that which already exists. Create all that is needed for the play in the actor's body, with little use of props. Promote rigorous physical and vocal training of actors Avoid the beautiful if it does not foster truth
- Slide 10
- Change focus.
- Slide 11
- Movement Theory Meyerhold and Laban (remember him???)
- Slide 12
- Vsevolod Meyerhold Developer of Biomechanics for dance and theatre training during the 20s and 30s. Forced underground after Meyerholds execution, emerging semi-secretly in the 70s. Biomechanics links "purely" physical training and the application of that physical work to concerns specific to acting.
- Slide 13
View more >
Allen ?· email@example.com Leah Stewart Director of College Counseling firstname.lastname@example.org…
Best Practices in Public Health Interventions regarding Adolescent Obesity Pat Stewart, PhD, RD LEAH Nutrition Discipline Coordinator Bionutrition Manager