tips for organizing your home office
Post on 12-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONOrganizing your home office.
- 1.Better Organization
2. PART 1 Organization and Working at Home 3. Seven Rules for Sane, Productive Work at Home
- How do you imagine your home office?
- Do you imagine yourself in a home office paradise?
- Immaculate,zipping through tasks while sipping
- a cappuccino, savoring unparalleled efficiency?
- After all, compared to the standard office, a homeoffice is an oasis and who wouldnt get more done if they didnt have to work surrounded by noise and constant interruption and have to waste time attending useless meetings.
6. Yea, right! 7. Reality Bites
- Working from home is often more like
- trying to work from home.
- You have double the phone calls.
- Personal and Business.
9. Sometimes we create our own interruptions.
- The dishes need to be done.
- There are 3 loads of laundry waiting.
- The house needs to be vacuumed.
10. I have to motivate and keep myself on task? 11. Work from home rather than just be at home.
- You need to create an environment that will
- allow you to operate in a business-like manner.
12. The Rules
- These rules are to help you get organized and create a
- home-based business environment that encourages work
- rather than hinders it.
13. Rules 1 through 3
- The first three rules will help you organize your home office so you can work at home more productively.
14. Rules 4 through 7
- The second set of rules will help you organize your work schedule in ways that will discourage others from interrupting you and keep you motivated and on task when youre working from home.
15. Organizing Your Home Office to Work at Home
- Part 2
16. Rule # 1
- Keep Work Life and Home Life as Separate as Possible.
17. Set Up a Separate Workspace
- Setting up a separate workspace helps you keep work life separate from your home life.
- A demarcated home office also serves as a signal to family members that youre working and not to be disturbed.
18. If You Cant Set Up a Separate Space.
- Keep your office materials, files and business materials separate from your personal.
- It will take a little more effort but it will payoff in the long run.
19. Rule # 2
- Make your Home Office a Real Workspace.
20. Does a Cluttered Desk = a Cluttered Mind? 21. Maybe not, but.
- Piles of unorganized papers are not conducive to trying to get work done.
- You need to be able to sit down in your workspace and get to work with out having to clear a space or hunt for a particular piece of paper.
22. Stop Wasting Time and Prevent Distractions
- Buy an In/Out basketand use it.
- Invest in a filing cabinet.
- Have a wastepaper can or recycling bag hand so you can clean up when you close for the day.
- Keep all relevant working materials in your workspace. Walking to another room to retrieve a file can be a serious waste of time.
- Wasted time = Wasted Money
24. Rule # 3
- Minimize Distractions.
25. Define Your Work Schedule 26. So Exactly How am I Supposed to do This?
- Tell you family and friends what your work hours are.
- Ask them to respect that you have a defined schedule.
27. You Cant Do Your Job if Youre Doing Something Else
- Use the answering machine.You dont have to answer every phone call.
- Put the machine in a different room than the one youre working in.You wont be distracted when its taking a message.
- Check the machine at regular, scheduled intervals.
28. Dont Let Your Email Become Your Rabbit Hole 29.
- Determine how often you need to check your emails.
- Stick to that schedule.
30. How Do I Do That?
- It takes discipline.
- Turn off the automatic notification.
- Check your email first thing in the morning.
- Check it at lunch time.
- Check it at the end of the day.
- Set up a filing system in Outlook.
31. Organizing Your Work Schedule to Work From Home
- Part 3
32. Rule # 4
- Keep your calendar prominent.
33. Wheres the Best Place to Keep My Calendar?
- On your desk.
- On your computer.
- On your PDA.
- In your planner.
34. Keep it Visible
- This helps you stay on task.
- It reminds you of your deadlines.
35. New Habits
- Get in the habit of starting every work at home day by looking at your calendar.
- Review upcoming deadlines and to-dos.
- Prioritize your tasks for the day.
36. Working More Efficiently
- Deciding what to do and when you need to do it will put you in work-mode and let you work more efficiently.
37. Rule # 5
- Keep Track of Your Time
38. Track Your Time Even if You Dont Have Billable Hours
- Keep track of all the time you work at home so you can adjust your work schedule if necessary and see if youre achieving your home-based business goals.
- You may have a home-based business goal of working 5 hours a day, but find that this doesnt allow enough time to produce enough income for you.
- If you havent tracked your time, youll be in for a nasty surprise a few months down the road.
- Be sure to include work-related activities like checking and responding to emails and paperwork.
40. Dont Put Things Off
- If you dont list these things as work, you wont think of them as work and youll be more likely to put them off.
- Make the not so fun tasks a part of your regular work at home routine.
- This will save you from having to shut-down your home-based business while you try to catch up on paperwork you should have been doing all along!
41. Rule # 6
- Keep to Your Work Schedule
42. Determine How Long and When to Work
- Determine how many hours a day you want/need to work and when, and then stick to it.
- Ask yourself what time of day is the best time for you.
43. Be Consistent
- Your work will go much easier and more efficiently
- if you stay on a regular schedule, whatever it may be.
44. Rule # 7
- Be Realistic
45. There are Only 24 Hours in a Day
- More than likely youre not going to put in 10 hours days.
- If youre the one at home, youre dealing with the normal daily at home kind of stuff.
- How many hours can you actually sanely work and still be able to stick to that schedule?
46. Life Happens 47. Be Kind to Yourself
- If youve had a bad work at home day and the universe seems to be conspiring against you, be kind to yourself.
- The great thing about working at home is that you get to set your own schedule.
- Controlling it rather than letting it control you will increase your productivity and your peace of mind.
48. Paradise 49.
- Working at home can be paradise.
- Maybe not one you originally imagined.But if you control
- your environment rather than letting it control you can
- have a home office paradise.
50. Better Organization
- Better Organization makes your organization better.