total classroom makeover keynote
Post on 13-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONSince her Georgia technology conference in November 2005, this teacher has experienced an extremely positive classroom makeover. Since that time she has co-created multiple award-winning global collaborative projects including the Flat Classroom project, and inclusion in Thomas Friedman's book The World is Flat and many media outlets. Her “Cool Cat Teacher” blog has skyrocketed into the edublogosphere, earning her multiple awards as well as grants for her classroom. Come here to learn how to give yourself an extremely positive classroom makeover as you transform your classroom safely into a place where students are engaged and collaborating with a global audience.NOTE: Many of these photos are purchased from istockphoto and therefore, I'm not able to allow download of this file.
2. 3. Extreme Makeover Classroom Edition 4. Take a Cell Phone Poll 5. 6. Extreme Makeover Challenge #1
- Voting on your cell phone looks like the graphic to your right.
- Free for up to 30 votes per poll
- Free import into powerpoint
- Live updating from web
7. 8. Open your laptop and join yourConference Backchannel 9. Backchannel a live chat that accompanies a live presentation http://tinyurl.com/ncties Password: ncties 10. Backchannel Classroom Uses
- Group Notetaking
- Link Sharing
- Quick Quiz
- Archivable Record
- Involvement of quieter students
http://tinyurl.com/ncties Password: ncties 11. Google Jockey http://tinyurl.com/ncties Password: ncties A person who watches the backchannel and posts information and hyperlinks in response to questions that are posted. 12. Backchannel Moderator http://tinyurl.com/ncties Password: ncties 13. http://tinyurl.com/ncties Password:ncties 14. President, NCTIES Scott Smith 15. Vice President Conference Chair Ellen Minter 16. 17. Welcome NCTIES 2009 18.
- The International Society for
- Technology in Education
19. ISTEs Worldwide Membership 20. 21. Supporting Educators
- Focus on improving teaching and student learning using technology as a tool
- Connect educators to learn from each other and promote best practices
- Advocacy Local and National
- Professional Development
- Networking and Collaboration
- Membership Benefits
- Recognition & Awards
- Special Interest Groups
- Research & Evaluation
23. Development of Technology Standards National Educational Technology Standards (NETS) for students, teachers, and school leaders 24. We invite you to join us.Become a member today. 25. See you in Washington, DC! 26. Welcome NCTIES 2009 27. Extreme Makeover Classroom Edition 28. Teacher 29. Blogger 30. 31. November 2005 32. 33. Research Based Best Practices 34. Authentic Assessment 35. Cooperative Learning 36. Project Based Learning 37. 38. 2 cents worth blog David Warlick 39. 40. 41. Backchannel a live chat that accompanies a live presentation http://tinyurl.com/ncties Password: ncties 42. Backchannel http://tinyurl.com/ncties Password: ncties Backchannel Moderators: Cathy Evanoff Lucas Gillispie Cris Crissman 43. Julie Lindsay(Bangladesh, Qatar) Vicki Davis (Camilla, GA) 44. Flat Classroom Project http://archive.flatclassroomproject.com 45. Horizon Project http://horizonproject2008.wikispaces.com 46. 47. 1000 + students 48. 49. Student Produced Video 50. Collaborative Group Wiki 51. Closing Student Summits in Elluminate http://flatclassroomproject.wikispaces.com/Summits 52. Turbo Tour of Digiteen Island http://digiteendreamteam.blogspot.com My Extreme Classroom Makeover for 2008-2009 53. Taking IT Global Collaborative Project Contest First Place 2007 ISTE SIGTelOnline Learning Award Winner 2007 54. The Makeover Precondition 55. 56. 57. Keynote for NetGenEd project http://netgened.grownupdigital.com 58. 59. 60.
- Walls(Connected Curriculum)
- Roofing(Keeping Obstacles Away)
61. 1. RESIDENTS 62.
- Different =Differentiated
06/08/09Licensed Istock Photo Vicki A Davis, Cool Cat Teacher - http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com OurClassrooms 63. What does the best education in the world look like? What Makes Finnish Kids So Smart The Wall Street Journal By ELLEN GAMERMAN February 2008 http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB120425355065601997.html 06/08/09 Vicki A Davis, Cool Cat Teacher - http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com 64. http://flickr.com/photos/prittibaby/477057343/ 65. 06/08/09 Vicki A Davis, Cool Cat Teacher - http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com 66. 67. 68. 69. KAIZEN = Slow, steady improvement 70. Build a personal Learning Network (PLN) 71. 15 minutes 2-3 times a week 72. Eat a watermelon 73. Not whole! 74. Small bites! 75. The power of Three! Pick three 76. The power of Three! 77.
- Never gamble with what you cannot afford to lose.
78. We never risk 79. HER! 80. HIM! 81. There aresafeways to do what some consider dangerous. 82. But remember the computer will beOKunless 83. 84. 85. The power of Three! Backchannel Todays Backchannel! a live chat that accompanies a live presentation http://tinyurl.com/ncties Password:ncties 86. http://flickr.com/photos/prittibaby/477057343/
- Establish partnerships
- Embed Their Learning
- Set Goals
- Understand Acceptable Risk
87. 88. WHY? 89. Flat Classroom Conference January 2009 Doha, Qatar http://flatclassroomconference.ning.com 90. 91. NOTwhat you are keepingOUT 92. What are you bringingIN ? 93. How are you CONNECTING ? 94. 95. Team WORK Working with people across the worldhas challenged me. The majority of my partners wanted tocontribute something meaningfulto the project. Horizon Project Students http://horizonproject.wikispaces.com 96.
- 4. Technology communications tools
- Students use telecommunications to collaborate, publish, and interact withpeers, experts, and other audiences.
- Students use a variety of media and formats to communicate information and ideas effectivelytomultiple audiences .
97. Our PD looks likethis 98. It shouldlook like this 99. 100. 101. TWO types of communication methods: SYNCHRONOUSandASYNCHRONOUS 102. Step 1C Connect your students Learn more about this in the 7 steps for a Flat Classroom. Five Phases of Flattening your classroom 103. 104.
- Maps Connections and Audience
- Embeds PD
- Facilitates Ownership NOT Dependence
- Purposeful Online Spaces
105. Barriers to Building 106. We block the world. Non progressive IT dept 107. SUPER SIXof IT Planning
- Packet Shapers (free up bandwidth)
- Virtual Servers
- Filtration by Teacher/ Students
- Specific URL decisionsCurriculum
- Open Source / Free Alternatives
- Cool Collaborative Spaces
108. Computers are good babysitters. Non progressive Teacher 109. SUPER SIXof Teachers
- Personal Learning Network (PLN)
- Vigilant Planning
- Vigilant Monitoring
- Specific URL decisionsCurriculum
- Connections with other Classes
- Customization & Differentiation
110. My budget is cut so Imust stop innovating. Excusemaking Admin 111.
- Empower teacherpreneurs
- Crowdsource your problems
- Share resources & people
SEEGreatness right here! 112. Connecting in North Carolina Aaron Slutsky McDowell County Schools 113. Connecting in North Carolina Scott Smith(Supt. Dr. Mark Edwards) Mooresville, NC 114. Connecting in North Carolina Lucas Gillispie Pender County Schools 115. Connecting in North Carolina Eric Cole, Keith Ledford McDowell County Schools 116. Connecting in North Carolina Cathy Evanoff Dare County Schools 117. Connecting in North Carolina Sonya Terry IT for Hospital Bound Students 118. Connecting in North Carolina Cris Crissman Distance Learning Consultant, NCDPI 119. Connecting in North Carolina David Warlick North Carolinas Guru 120. 121. 122.
- List your Big 3
- Build your Personal LearningNetwork
- Crowdsource your problems
123. What you want toDO helps you pick your tools. 124. 125. 126. Pen & Publish Press 978-0-9817264-4-1 VickiDavis http://coolcatteacher. blogspot.com http://coolcatteacher. wikispaces.com