train musem

Upload: odette

Post on 31-May-2018




0 download


  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Train Museum

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    paintings of Barry Freeman

    These paintings are suberbly detailed and reflect theattention that Barry pays to every stoke of the brush.

    Historically accurate and placed into the correctlandscapes for each train , the scenes seem to come to

    life and transport the viewer back to a bygone era whensteam ruled the railways of Great Britain.And our Director is a sTrain enthuiast!

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Western Workhorse

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    A sunny afternoon at Whiteball, on the Devon/Somerset border near Wellington. Ex-GWR 'Hall' Class 4-6-0 No. 4999 'GOPSALHALL' passes Whiteball Summit and begins the descent towards

    Wellington with an eastbound parcels train.

    The GWR 'Hall' Class numbered 330 in total. The first one was arebuild of a member of the 'Saint' Class with smaller wheels. Thisproved successful and further examples were built in batches

    over a period of twenty years. They could be seen on any type of train, passenger, parcel and freight, right up to the end of steam

    on British Railways.

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Return to Base

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Designed by O.V.S. Bulleid, the Southern Railway 'West Country'and 'Battle of Britain' classes entered service in 1945. They were arevolutionary design and due to their light axle loading, were to beseen almost anywhere on the Southern network. 'Battle of Britain'

    class 4-6-2 No. 34067 'TANGMERE' was rescued from Barryscrapyard in 1981. It has recently returned to service after a twentyyear restoration to full main line standards and may now be seen

    hauling steam excursions in various parts of the country. It is seenhere passing close to the site of Tangmere R.A.F. station near

    Oving, a few miles from Chichester, with Wessex Trains' pullmanliveried set of BR Mk. 3 coaches.

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Land of Lost Content

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    The Waverley' was introduced in 1957 and was a revival, and re-naming, of the 'Thames-Forth Express' from London (St. Pancras)

    to Edinburgh. It was a short lived working as the Waverley route

    from Carlisle to Edinburgh was closed in January 1969 and with itthe end of through running between London and Edinburgh via theMidland route. During the late summer of 1958, the heavily loaded

    up train, hauled by a pair of 'Jubilee' class 4-6-0's Nos. 45608'Gibraltar' and 45729 'Furious' passes Als Gill signal box and

    begins the long downhill run towards Leeds. The mass of WildBoar Fell looms In the background. Ais Gill, at 1169ft., Is the

    highest main line summit In England and marks the end of the'long drag' from both Leeds and Carlisle. The signal box and loopshave now been removed and only the summit board, close to the

    bridge, remains. The title of the painting Is a quotation from apoem by A. E. Housman, the Shropshire poet.

    Into my heart an air that kills from yon far country blows What arethese blue remembered hills? What spires, what farms are those?

    It is the land of lost content, I see It shining plain Those happyhighways where I went, and cannot come again.

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Star Quality

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    G. J. Churchward's masterpiece, the 'Star' class, first entered trafficin 1907. The first 10 locomotives were given the names of stars,

    commemorating a class of broad gauge locomotives built between1839 and 1841. They were elegant and graceful engines, serving

    the GWR with distinction over a period of almost fifty years, the lastsurvivor being withdrawn in 1956. No. 4003 'LODE STAR' is seenhere In the early 1930's at Patchway, north west of Bristol, at the

    end of its climb from the Severn Tunnel with an express from SouthWales to London. 'LODE STAR' is preserved as a member of the

    National Collection and may still be seen at the National RailwayMuseum, York.

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Castle Country

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    The 'TORBAY EXPRESS' hauled by ex-GWR 'Castle' class 4-6-0No. 5011 'TINTAGEL CASTLE' leaves Churston, on the first stage of its journey from Kingswear to Paddington. In the bay platform, '1400'

    class 0-4-2T No. 1470 waits to leave with the branch line train toBrixham. The branch from Paignton to Kingswear was unusual in

    that it could take the heaviest expresses. The whole of the branch isnow preserved as The Paignton and Dartmouth Steam Railway and

    is a major tourist attraction in the South West of England.

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Midland Trails

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Numerous transport links cross the Midland Shires on their routesnorth from London. Two of these, the Grand Union Canal and the

    West Coast main line of the former LMS Railway are often In closeproximity. On the 1st January 1948 both were nationalised,

    becoming British Waterways and British Railways. New liverieswere introduced and both concerns took on new corporate

    Identities Early on a spring morning In the mid-1950's near Nether Heyford, Northamptonshlre, 'Leo' and 'Saturn', a pair of BritishWaterways narrow boats, prepares to continue their journey to

    Birmingham. On the nearby embankment, an express fromBlackpool to London passes, hauled by ex LMS 'Jubilee' Class 4-6-

    0 No. 45580 'Burma'

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Hibernian Connection

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    The 'Irish Mail' is the oldest named train in the country. For manyyears it ran between Euston and Holyhead to connect with thesteamers to Dun Laoghaire, south of Dublin. In this view, from

    1958, 'Royal Scot' class 4-6-0 No. 46141 'The North Staffordshire

    Regiment' passes Rugby No.5 signal box with the down train as itgathers speed after it's stop at Rugby Midland station. On an

    adjacent track an ex-LNWR G2a 0-8-0 makes a maximum effortto start a heavy goods train destined for the Coventry and

    Birmingham line.

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Duchess of Carlisle

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Sir William Stanler's magnificent 'Coronation' class Pacific's were amongthe largest locomotives built for any of Britain's railways. The first ten

    were streamlined, but the next five were built without the streamlinedcasing. One of this series, No. 6233 'DUCHESS OF SUTHERLAND'

    stands at Carlisle Citadel Station in 1946 waiting to take over aSouthbound express. During the war years, many of the class were

    modified by having the streamlined casing removed and smokedeflectors and double chimneys fitted. 'DUCHESS OF SUTHERLAND' Is

    believed to be the only member of the class to emerge from the war years In modified form and still In LMS red livery. Following the

    withdrawal from service In 1964, 'DUCHESS OF SUTHERLAND' was

    repainted in its original LMS livery for preservation. Following ten yearsof display at a holiday camp in Scotland, It was moved to Bressingham

    Railway Museum in Norfolk and restored to full working order. It wasrecently transferred to private ownership and may now be seen working

    on main line steam specials in various parts of Britain.

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Out of the West

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    The Great Western's main line from London and Bristol was magnificentlyengineered. Straight, fast and with comparatively few gradients of anysignificance, it provided the easiest approach to London of any of the

    major railways. Here, in the early afternoon, on a warm September day in1949, 'Castle' class 4-6-0 No. 5084 'READING ABBEY' throws up a plume

    of spray as it picks up water from Goring Troughs with an express fromSouth Wales to Paddington. On the adjacent slow line, 6100 class 2-6-2T

    No. 6132 makes leisurely progress towards Reading with a freight fromthe Oxford line. 'READING ABBEY' was originally built in 1922 as a

    member of the 'Star' class. It was withdrawn in February 1937 for rebuilding as a 'Castle' , re-entering traffic in April of that year. The 6100

    class were designed for tightly timed London suburban commuter trains.When diesel power began to take over, however, many were moved tomore outlying parts of the system and began to appear on other duties,

    such is the one shown in this painting.

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Autumn Frosts

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    A freezing winter afternoon at Stretton-under-Fosse, near Rugby, in1959. 'TEAL' and 'CRANE', members of the Willow Wren Canal

    Company's fleet of narrow boats, make their way slowly along the OxfordCanal towards Hawkesbury Junction. On the adjacent embankment 'THECALEDONIAN', on its way to London from Glasgow, races past, hauled

    by 'Coronation' class Pacific No. 46229 'DUCHESS OF HAMILTON'.'DUCHESS OF HAMILTON' is preserved as part of the National

    Collection. It was originally streamlined and is the locomotive which wasexhibited at the New York World Fair in 1939, disguised as No. 6220

    'CORONATION'. It can now be seen as a static exhibit at the NationalRailway Museum, York.

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Winter Wayfarers

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Stretton-under-Fosse, near Rugby In the winter of 1938. A pair of

    Fellows Morton & Clayton narrow boats, 'Denmark' and 'Linda' maketheir way slowly south with a cargo for the London Docks. On theadjacent West Coast main line, LMS 'Coronation' Class 4-6-2 No.6221 'QUEEN ELIZABETH' powers northwards with the Glasgow-

    bound 'Coronation Scot' Sir William Stanier's 'Coronation' classpaclfics entered service In 1937. The first five were painted In

    Caledonian blue livery with silver stripes especially for working the 1.30 p.m. express from Euston and Glasgow. As the LNER had already

    Introduced a new express named the 'Coronation' the LMS namedtheirs the 'Coronation Scot'. The service was discontinued at the

    outbreak of World War II, and was never re-instated.

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Return to Highlands

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Amidst glorious Highland scenery and back on the line for which it

    was built, preserved LNER K4 2-6-0 No. 3442 "THE GREAT

    MARQUESS" swings round the western end of Loch Eilt, betweenGlenfinnan and Lochailort, with the special charter train run for its

    owner, the Earl of Lindsay, from Fort William to Mallaig on July

    15th, 1989.

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    The Rare Bird

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    The appearance of one of Sir Nigel Gresley's 'A4' Paclflcs alwayscaused excitement amongst Iineside observers. Their streamlined

    shape and melodious chime whistles graced the East Coast main linefor almost a quarter of a century. Here No. 60024 'KINGFISHER', anEdinburgh based locomotive seldom seen so far south, appears outof the gloom of a winter's day at Peterborough (North) In 1951, with

    an express for King's Cross. Altogether, 35 of these locomotives werebuilt, perhaps the best known being 'MALLARD', holder of the worldrecord for steam traction at 126 mph. Six of the class are preserved.

    One Is in the United States and one in Canada. Of the remaining four,two are maintained in working order and may still be seen hauling

    steam specials, both on privately preserved lines and, occasionally,on main line excursions. Mallard, the record holder, is now a static

    exhibit at the National Railway Museum, York.

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Sharing the Moment

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    A fine summer morning on the Kennet and Avon Canal during the late 1920's. The horsedrawn barge 'Unity' slowly makes its way towards Hungerford. Its crew, busily engaged in

    negotiating Little Bedwyn lock, pause to watch an express for Plymouth as it races past onthe adjacent Great Western main line, hauled by 'Saint' class 4-6-0 No. 2982 'LALLA

    ROOKH' and 'Castle' class No. 4093 'DUNSTER CASTLE'. The first examples of G. J.Churchward's 'Saint' class locomotives appeared in 1902. A total of 92 were built over a

    period of years, the last one entering service in April 1913. Although only 20 were actuallynamed after Saints, this is the name by which the class was universally known. Of the other members of the class, some were named after country houses and others after characters

    from the novels of Sir Walter Scott. The 'Saint' class formed the basis of all subsequentexpress passenger locomotive development on the GWR right up to Nationalisation in 1948.

    The last survivor, No. 2920 'SAINT DAVID' was withdrawn in October 1953. The first of C. B.Collett's 'Castle' class locomotives first appeared in 1923. They were a development of theearlier 'Star' class, which in turn were developed from the 'Saints'. Most were named after

    castles in south west England and Wales. They formed the mainstay of express passenger motive power on the GWR over many years. A total of 171 were built, the last 20 not

    appearing until after nationalisation, in 1950. The first one, No. 4073 'CAERPHILLY CASTLE'is now in the National Collection and several others have been preserved. They were knownas 'Swindon's Finest'. The Kennet barge 'UNITY' was the last vessel to use the Kennet andAvon Canal on a regular basis before the canal was allowed to fall into disuse in 1933. Built

    by Robins, Lane and Pinnegar, it was mainly used to transport timber from Savernake Forestto the builder's boatyard at Honeystreet. It was a very large boat by canal standards, being

    almost 70 ft. long and having a beam of 13ft. 9ins., making it a very tight fit in the many lockson the canal. The Kennet and Avon canal is now in the process of being restored and is

    increasingly used by narrow boat enthusiasts.

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Elegance & Industry

  • 8/14/2019 Train Musem


    Newton Abbot was for many years a notorious bottle-neck on themain GWR line from London to the South West. In 1928, the stationwas completely re-built in an attempt to ease the congestion. This

    view shows the station as it appeared in 1930, shortly after rebuilding. GWR 'Star' Class 4-6-0 No. 4010 'WESTERN STAR'

    leaves with an express for Paignton & Kingswear. 5700 Class Panier Tank No. 5760 makes its way towards the West loading dock with a

    'Siphon C' milk van.

    Made by Odette

    Photos from