Unit 1 Cultural relics Warming up & Reading Warming up & Reading.
out of 59
Post on 26-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- Slide 3
- Unit 1 Cultural relics
- Slide 4
- Warming up & Reading Warming up & Reading
- Slide 5
- 1. Do you know what a cultural relic is? 2. Does a cultural relic always have to be rare and valuable? Is it enough to have survived for a long time? 3. Are cultural relics only objects like vases or can they be buildings too?
- Slide 6
- Look at the pictures below and discuss what they are and whether they are cultural relics or not.
- Slide 7
- The Great Wall
- Slide 8
- The Pyramids in Egypt
- Slide 9
- The Tai Mahal (In India)
- Slide 10
- The Sydney Opera (in Australia)
- Slide 11
- The Great Barrier Reef (In Australia)
- Slide 12
- The Big Ben (In England)
- Slide 13
- Slide 14
- Name: Name: Place: Place: Time: Time: Importance: Importance: The Great Wall Beijing Since 475BC the symbol of China and its culture.
- Slide 15
- Name:Place:Time:Importance: the Forbidden City Beijing the largest museum of cultural relics in China The imperial palace/ 1406 (the Ming Dynasty)
- Slide 16
- Name:Place:Time:Importance: The Potala Palace Lhasa, Tibet the residence of the Dalai Lama/ one of Tibet's major pilgrimage destinations 1693
- Slide 17
- Name:Place:Time:Importance: The Great Pyramid of Khufu Egypt around the year 2560 BC the only surviving of the Seven Ancient Wonders
- Slide 18
- Angkor Wat in Cambodia Taj-Mahal in India The Sports Arena of Ancient Rome Stonehenge in England
- Slide 19
- Ancient Villages in Southern Anhui - Xidi and Hongcun Mount Huangshan The Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor and the Terracotta Warriors the Leshan Giant Buddha The Classical Gardens of Suzhou
- Slide 20
- Slide 21
- What is a cultural relic ? What is a cultural relic ? A cultural relic is something that has survived for a long time, often a part of something old that has remained when the rest of it has been destroyed; it tells people about the past.
- Slide 22
- According to the definition, what characteristics does a cultural relic have ? mysterious mysterious precious old valuable rare rare cultural relic Can you recognize any other cultural relics? Do you have any in your family?
- Slide 23
- amber beautiful rare/precious C a n y o u i m a g i n e a h o u s e m a d e o f a m b e r ?
- Slide 24
- The Amber Room
- Slide 25
- The main idea of each paragraph: Para 1: ______________________of the Amber Room. Para 2: ______________________of the Amber Room. Para3: ______________________ of the Amber Room. Para 4: ______________________of the Amber Room. Para 5: ______________________of the Amber Room. General description History and functions Change Disappearance Reproduction skimming
- Slide 26
- 1.) Draw a chart to show the remove of the Amber Room Scanning Prussia Russia the winter palace in St Petersburg- the summer palace in St Petersburg German city on the Baltic Sea ? A strange history
- Slide 27
- Year What happened to the Amber Room 1716 1770 1941 2003 In 1770, the Amber Room was completed the way Catherine wanted it. In September, 1941, the Nazi German and Russia were at war, and the Amber Room was missing. In the spring of 2003, a new Amber Room was built at the Summer Palace, and it was 300 years old. In 1716, Frederick William I gave the Amber Room to Peter the Great, as a gift of friendship from Prussian to the Russian people.
- Slide 28
- Join the correct parts of the sentences together. 1.Frederick I 2.Frederick William I 3.Peter the Great 4.Catherine II 5.The Nazi army 6.The Russians and Germans A.Stole the Amber Room B.Sent a troop of his best soldiers to the King of Prussia. C.Had the Amber Room made D.Had it moved outside St Petersburg. E.Gave it to the Czar as a gift F.Built a new Amber Rom after studying pictures of the old one
- Slide 29
- Put the numbers in the boxes. Then answer the questions. Para 1 Para 2 Para 3 Para 4 Para 5
- Slide 30
- In groups discuss: Is it worth rebuilding lost cultural relics such as the Amber Room or Yuan Ming Yuan in Beijing? Give your reasons.
- Slide 31
- 1.The king of Prussia who gave the Amber Room as a gift to Russia was___. A. Frederick I B. Frederick William I C. Peter the Great D. Catherine II B Detailed-Reading
- Slide 32
- 2. The king of Prussia gave the Amber Room to Russia because_____. A. he wanted to marry Catherine II. B. he was kind. C. he needed better soldiers D. he wanted to make friends D Detailed-Reading
- Slide 33
- 3. The Amber Room was stolen by___. A. Russian soldiers B. German soldiers C. People in Konigsberg D. People in St Petersburg 4. In 1941, the city of Konigsberg was in ___. A. Germany B. Russia C. Sweden D. France B A Detailed-Reading
- Slide 34
- 5. The Russians didnt hide the Amber Room because ______. A. they were at war B. the couldnt find a place C. the German soldiers arrived too soon D. no train could take it away C Detailed-Reading
- Slide 35
- ( ) 1. The Amber Room was not easy to make. ( ) 2. Catherine II didnt like everything about the Amber Room when she first saw it. ( ) 3. The Amber Room was taken to Konigsberg and hidden there in 1941. NS S S Reading: SURE or NOT SURE
- Slide 36
- Reading ( ) 4. The Russians didnt care about the Amber Room. ( ) 5. The Russians dont think the Amber Room will ever be found. NS
- Slide 37
- Listen to the tape and follow it to read the text. Listening Discussion What should we do to protect our cultural relics?
- Slide 38
- Explanation 1. compete: (vt) take part in a race, contest, exam, etc. (1)compete in / Will you compete in the race? (2) compete against / with / He is going to compete against / with his classmates.
- Slide 39
- (3) compete for / The two teams will compete for the championship. (4) competitor competition , competitive (adj.) ,
- Slide 40
- 2. survive vt &vi Fortunately he survived the traffic accident. Camels can survive for many days with no water. The helicopter picked up all the ________. They prayed for the _______ of the sailors. survivor (n.) survival (n.) survivors survival
- Slide 41
- 3. remain (1) vi. , I went to the city, but my brother remained at home. (2) link-verb. n. /adj. / / adv. My friend became a boss, but I remained a teacher. The death of the old man remained unknown. The problem remains to be discussed.
- Slide 42
- Nothing remains but to send the invitation out. ( ) It only remains for me to sign the paper that you gave me. ( ) He bought a new book with the _________ ( ) 40 yuan. =He bought a new book with the 40 yuan ___. ( ) remaining left
- Slide 43
- --- Why do you look so upset? --- There are so many troublesome problems ___. A. remaining to settle B. remained settled C. remaining to be settled D. remained to be settled. C
- Slide 44
- 4. the rest , , , (1)I have finished most of the work, and the rest __ to be done next week. (2)Some students went out, and the rest ___ remained in the classroom. is are
- Slide 45
- 5. imagine vt. n. imagination (1) You cant imagine how I miss you all. (2) We can hardly imagine life without water. (3) Can you imagine her becoming a thief? = Can you imagine her as a thief?
- Slide 46
- 6. state / condition / situation (1) We try to make ourselves get into a ____ before the exam. (2) Janna is in a poor ____ of health, which worries her parents. (3) His health is in good ________. state condition
- Slide 47
- (4) Suddenly he found himself in a difficult ________. state , ; condition , , ; situation , situation
- Slide 48
- 7. find / find out / discover (1) Ive _____ the book I was looking for. (2) Please _______ what time they are coming. (3) The police are trying hard to _______ about the accident. found find out
- Slide 49
- (4) Columbus _________ the New World in 1492. find out : , , find: , , discover: , , discovered
- Slide 50
- 8. gift ; He has got lots of birthday gifts. He is a man of gifts. The boy has a gift for music. gifted (adj.)
- Slide 51
- could couldnt 9. +have done ( ) He paid for a seat when he _____ have entered free. (could /would / must / need) I _______ have been more than six years old when the accident happened. (shouldnt / couldnt / mustnt / neednt)
- Slide 52
- 10. it easily melts when heated + ( : v- ing, ) (1) While (they were) ________the house, they found the vase. (2) When (he was) _____, he made no answer. building asked
- Slide 53
- (3) Unless (I am) ______, I wont go there. (4) When ______ help, one often says Thank you or Its kind of you. (offering / to offer / to be offered / offered) (5) When first __________ (introduce) to the market, these products enjoyed great success. (o4 ) offered invited introduced
- Slide 54
- 11. design (v. / n.) (1) They ________ the building carefully. (2) The experiment ____________ test the new drug. ( ) (3) I like the ______ of the new school. (4) Children above 12 are able to take part in skiing or other activities ________ (design) for them. (05 ) designed is designed to design
- Slide 55
- 12. fancy adj. (1) fancy clothes (2) Fancy meeting you here! ! (3) I dont fancy walking in the snow. have a fancy for , , fancy sb. doing sth.
- Slide 56
- 13. in return , What can we do for them in return for all the help they have given us? ? I gave him some books in return for his assistance. in turn , ; by turns ,
- Slide 57
- 14. missing / lost / gone (1)Five people were _______. (2)The boat and all the men were ___ in the storm. (3)My pain in the leg is ____ now. (4)Much to his upset, Bob found his wallet _______ just as he wanted to pay for the necktie. missing lost gone missing
- Slide 58
- missing: , , ; lost: , , gone: , , , , 15. + ( ) at war/work/home/table on show/duty/sale/holiday/fire/watch in trouble/danger/battle/doubt under repair/discussion/construction
- Slide 59
- 16. Theres no doubt that Theres no need to do / for sth / sb Theres no possibility that (Its) no wonder (that) (1)Do you doubt ____ she will succeed? (2)I doubt _________ he will keep his word. (3)I have no doubt ____ he will win the game. that if/whether that
- Slide 60
- 1. Remember the useful words and Expressions. 2. Prepare for the next period. Homework
View more >
Unit 13 Product Description. Objectives Objectives Objectives Focus Focus Focus Warming up Warming up Warming up Warming up 13.1 Comparing products 13.1.
Period 1 Warming up, Pre-reading & Reading. What are the two main kinds of disabilities? Do you know anyone with a disability? Warming up.
高一必修 2 Unit 2 The Olympic Games Warming-up and Reading 高一必修 2 Unit 2 The Olympic Games Warming-up and Reading.