unit4 green world warming up warming up reading listening integrating skill integrating skill...
Click here to load reader
Post on 30-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
Unit4 Green world
Warming up readinglisteningIntegrating skillspeakingWord study
Can you tell the name of the flower?
roseRoses are best presents to be sent to friends. And it is also very popular to send roses as love signal between young people. Red roses indicate warmth and love and white ones, purity and simplicity, blue ones, honesty and sincerity.
tuliptuliptuliptuliptuliptuliptuliptuliptuliptuliptulipTulips are beautiful flowers and people often Send them to their friends as presents.
It comes from North America.Indians there began to grow them some 3000 years ago .
the Chinese national flower
Peony the Chinese national flower
Which flower is your favorite? Explain why.
Growing plants in pots or boxes at home can be both fun and a useful experience.
Discuss: What to grow in my garden How to take care them.When to harvest or pick them
What to do How to take care of them
1..Why do people need to eat fruit? To keep healthy. 2. Some unfamiliar words and expressions. the richness in local fruits the poorness in local fruit species grew there in the wild keep fruit and vegetables fresh Farmers in old England often had health problems during the winter because they did not get enough greens.
Long voyages took people away The diet aboard ships consisted of salt meat, and hard biscuits. The health of the sailors was the major concern of a captain.James Cook
to keep his men in good shape He also experimented with foodssuch as dried vegetables, preserved cabbage, boiled carrot and fruit juice and beans.the cure for this disease lay in eating fresh vegetables and fruit.
found themselves in heaven when they arrived in the East With so much delicious fruit to choose from, they soon recovered their health.
3.Listen to the tape and get the topic of the passage1).This passage mainly deals with _. A. Flowers B. Grain C. Fruits
2).From this passage we know that_. A. People in the past had enough fruits to eat. B. People on the voyages long ago couldnt survive long on board, one of the main reasons was that they lacked fresh fruits and vegetables. C. Captain Cook didnt realise the importance of keeping ship and the crew members themselves clean and taking regular exercises.
Fruit__________________________________|||Family of oranges|Other fruits|______________________|______________________________Strawberry|_______|_______lemon_____________ _____________||family of the roses.applespeachespearsorangesbananasgrapes4.Listen to the tape and fill in the following chart
5.Please judge the following statements as true or false.falsefalsetrue( )1. There were enough fruits in ancient Europe. ( )2. Farmers in old England often got ill during the winter because they did not get enough exercises. ( )3 Fruit and vegetables could not be kept fresh for a very long time because they they had not found ways to keep them.
( )4.The diet aboard ships consisted of salt meat, and hard biscuits. The sailors hardly ate any fresh vegetables or fruit.
( )5. The discovery of Vitamin C made people realise that eating fresh vegetables and fruit could treat this disease.truefalse Back
1.procedure n. a procedure for sth. the normal/usual procedure /
2. classify vt. e.g. The books in the libraryare classified according to subject. adj. classifiable n. classification
3. identification n. e.g. His only means of identification was his passport. v. identify with This matter is too closely identified with you.
4. reward n.+for vt. She received a crystal ball as a reward for her services. reward sb. with sth. reward sb. for sth.
5. altogether adv., e.g. I am not altogether sure if Id want you as a host.
altogether, together, gather altogether adv. together adv. Mix the salt and sugar together. gather v. She went along the lane gathering blackberries.
6. distinguish vi.&vt. distinguish between distinguishfrom distinguishing mark distinguish yourself (to do sth.)
e.g. People who cant distinguish between colours are said to be colourblind.()
The birth of a science Unit 4Reading
What products are these?2. What are they used for?3.Where do they come from?4. Which countries produce them?
While-readingI. Fast readingHow many people are mentioned in the passage?
Carl Linnaeus Daniel SolanderJoseph BanksCaptain Cook
Karl Linnaeus Daniel SolanderA student of KarlJoseph BanksA friend of Daniel the founder of botanical classificationDaniel and Joseph developed the theory of Karl LinnaeusJames CookBoth of them joined the expedition to Oceania led by Captain James Cook
Language pointsmostly most mostly most mostly e.g. More people arrived mostly Europeans.
mostly mainly, chieflyThe dish consisted chiefly of meat.
2. make attempts/an attempt +to do/at sth./at doing sth. e.g. They made no attempt to help. Stephen made a faint attempt at a smile.
3.be based on The book is based on a true story.baseon One should always base ones opinion on facts.
4. at first sight at the sight of catch sight of lose sight of in sight
5. born bear v. adj.1. be born in2. be born onHe was born in 1805 in China.Helen was born on November 1st,1985.
3.() be born of4. family be born inHe was born of poor parents. She was born in a rich family.
5. be born toA baby has born to them. He was a born musician.
6.have an appetite for appetiteJack has no appetite for hard work.
7. on a large scale e.g. Our school has been development on a large scale since 1980.
8. involve be involved in / involve oneself in/withDont involve yourself with those people.
9.accumulate gather collect
10. abandon give up They abandoned all hope of finding the child. abandon oneself to Dont abandon yourself to drinking.
ConsolidationTranslate the following phrases into English:1. 2. 3. 4. 5.6. in detailin charge ofin the charge ofappoint sb. asclassifyintocalculate the distance between
8.9.; 10.;11.12.pass on from one generation to the nextbe based onbe involved inaccording tosearch foraltogether
II. Careful readingBefore Linnaeus botany was ________ Astudied by doctors Bunknown to anyone Cfully developed Da branch of medicine
2. Some economic species plants such as____could help to develop local economies Arose and peony Btea and apple Ccocoa and hemp DCocoa and lemon3. It was ____ who made Kew a centre of scientific and economic researchAJoseph Banks BCaptain CookCLinnaeus D. Daniel Solander
4.Paragraph one of the text mainly tells us ___ Athe importance of botany Bhow to classify plant species into groups CLinnaeus contribution to botany DLinnaeus discoveries about different species
5.Captain Cook made ___voyages altogether around the world. Aone BTwo CThree D. four
Post-reading1. How did scientists classify plants before Linnaeus?Some scientists classified plants into herbs and trees, or according to the shape of the fruit, or whether they had flowers or not.
2. What were the goals of James Cooks first voyage around the world?To study the passing of the planet Venus across the sun; to record, classify and describe all plant and animal life observed during the trip; to search for an unknown southern continent.
3. Why did Joseph Banks have to supply his own money to equip part of the expedition? Because the government would not pay for such a new field of science as botany.
4. What could be a possible explanation for the name strawberry?When people plant strawberry, they spread straw under the fruit to reduce the necessary amount of watering.
Integrating SkillsWildlife and garden roses
The process of evolution
Charles Darwin: (Charles Robert 1809-1882,,)
Find out the important people mentioned in the text.
Charles DarwinGregor MendelGote TuressonFrom England From AustriaFrom Sweden
1.relate to He bought all the papers that related to this subject. n. relation + between / with I have had business relations with him.
relation He had no other near relations.
2. concern vt. e.g. These problems dont concern them.
I think David is a good __ on you.2.His new way of teaching produced a good __ . A influence B effectA B influence effect
4. bringback in view in view e.g. The time is already in view when the children must leave home.
in view of
In view if the fact, wed better give up trying. in ones