UXSG2014 Lightning Talks - UX and Semantic web making web more human (Nurgul Karadeniz)
out of 39
Post on 01-Dec-2014
DESCRIPTIONUX and Semantic web making web more human Presented by Nurgul Karadeniz Co-founder and principal consultant UX Thought, United Kingdom
- 1. UX AND SEMANTIC WEB ! ! Making the web more human Nurgul Karadeniz Principal Consultant UX Thought ! @nurdeniz
- 2. Internet Today 10,000,000,000 Connected Devices Cisco estimates 20 billion by 2020
- 3. 1 Known Known Known OR I know where to get gluten free products. I just need to find the link 3 Unknown 2 Unknown Unknown OR I need to find some gluten free products Known OR I need to find some sort of special dietary products, what was it Unknown OR I have absolutely no idea what products I need nor what I can do with them 4
- 4. We need technology that can adapt to users rather than forcing users to adapt to technology
- 5. Human Language User asks "I want to find a hotel for next week in Singapore with a pool and less than 5 min walking distance to any MRT station"
- 6. WHeubm uannd eLrasntagnudasge Destination Name:City name Date range: Calendar Start Date + Number of Nights Room type
- 7. Is there an easy way to find the best mortgage product and the best mortgage deal from the high street banks in UK
- 8. Making the Web more human?
- 9. Semantic Web Users Data Relationships Whats data?
- 10. Present information in a structured way Salary stats Which university course? Potential job titles Industry review Universities Tuition Fee Entry Requirements Market estimations Decision and Application
- 11. News Bio Program Pages Current Web Wiki web page Web results for Jeremy Clarkson? Jeremy Clarkson Page tags!
- 12. Semantic Web Who is the guy who works with Jeremy Clarkson? Jeremy Clarkson Wiki
- 13. Current Web Results
- 14. Semantic Web Results
- 15. This brings together a focus area Understanding users data relationships
- 16. Design Process Discovery User Research Interaction Design Visual Design Usability Evaluation Linked Data Ontology RDF FOAF Development Semantic Web Process
- 17. Storing information with actual meaning..
- 18. Current Web Semantic Web
- 19. Things and the relations
- 20. MORE RELATIONS
- 21. CASE STUDY BBC Learning Project: PEOPLE, PLACES and EVENTS
- 22. Auto curated pages
- 23. Step 1: What these means for users
- 24. Step 2: How things could be related
- 25. Entry Point Related content Related content Find information about Churchill People Adolf Hitler Places Kent Events Battle of Britain Things Imperial War Museum Step 3: Designing user journeys Things Churchill speeches Place Germany Event World War I
- 26. People Events Things Places Related Events Related People Related Things Related Places PEOPLE PLACES AND EVENTS
- 27. PEOPLE Project Challenges PLACES ! AND EVENTS Understanding Relationships Christmas day Charlie Chaplin died Christmas - Religion Level of information needed Project Boundaries
- 28. BBC aims; Connect the content of 5 million BBC Pages ! Provide one service for ten product across four screens PEOPLE PLACES AND EVENTS
- 29. Guided Navigation ! !
- 30. Guided Navigation ! !
- 31. PROS CONS Level of information required at concept phase ! Consider different users e.g. cultural stereotype ! Cost of building ! Extensive IA and Analysis required to spot edge cases Easy to discover content ! Easy to manage large volumes of content ! Guided navigation ! Presents information in a structured way ! Multiple ways of accessing information
- 32. Examples of semantic web today Facebook: Graphsearch Google: 15% of Search Apple: Siri Windows: Cortana BBC: Public content Twitter: Realtime search Best Buy: Online retail !
- 33. Where can we use semantic web?
- 34. Semantic Technologies ! Understand human language - Linked Data Understand other meaning of words - Linked Data Manages sources - RDFs Define related information - Ontologies Product Visibility - Domain Driven Design
- 35. Semantic Web ! Understands what we mean Reliable online services and contextual content Offering successful decision support applications Auto-curated pages guided by the users needs
- 36. Designing for semantic web ! Users: Mental model, Motivation, Culture, Perception Data: Content, Sharing resources, User Journeys ! Design: Defining user journeys, designing variety of page template for auto curated content
- 37. UX AND SEMANTIC WEB Punk References Big & Bold Beautifully Clean - Article: Too much information? Improving user experience of semantic web http:// www.publishingtechnology.com/2011/03/user-experience-semantic-web/ - Bing vs. Google - http://www.entrepreneur.com/blog/224639 - Duane Degler - Design for Semantic Web, Design for Context www.designforsemanticweb.com/ - Crowdsourcing, citizen sensing and sensor web technologies for public. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1186%2F1476-072X-10-67/ fulltext.html#Fig11_459 - Facebook Graph Search - https://www.facebook.com/about/graphsearch - Faceted Semantic Search - Massimiliano Dal Mas http://arxiv.org/pdf/ 1202.6685.pdf - Find out about Semantic Web in simple terms - http://luca.wordpress.com/ 2008/02/03/semantic-web-for-dummies/ - Frankfurt Show Daily Article: The future of content delivery in publishing http:// www.publishingtechnology.com/2012/10/the-future-of-content-delivery-in-publishing/ - How a Facebook Search Engine Could Change the Way People Find Your Business http://www.entrepreneur.com/blog/224452 - Lee Feigenbaum (May 1, 2007). "The Semantic Web in Action". Scientific American. Retrieved February 24, 2010 Nurgul Karadeniz ! nurdeniz
- 38. UX AND SEMANTIC WEB ! - Linked data and the semantic web - http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/technology/article/ Punk Big & Bold Beautifully Clean art20130724121658626 - Link Data Platforms - http://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/wiki/Main_Page - Music Datasheet - Automatic Interlinking of Music Datasets on the Semantic Web Yves Raimond, Christopher Sutton and Mark Sandler (http:// citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download? doi=10.1.1.123.9753&rep=rep1&type=pdf) - Next-Generation Wikis: What Users Expect; How RDF Helps- Axel Rauschmayer - Semantic Web Handbook - Pascal Hitzler Krzysztof Janowicz http:// knoesis.wright.edu/pascal/pub/crc-handbook-13.pdf - The Semantic Web: Research and Applications - Springer Link http:// link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-642-13486-9 - The Friend of a Friend (FOAF) project - hhttp://www.foaf-project.org - The NoTube Project, http://notube.tv (retrieved on January 31st, 2012) - The NoTube Use Case Personalised News, http://notube.tv/showcases/ personalised-news/ (retrieved on January 31st, 2012) THANK YOU ! Nurgul Karadeniz ! nurdeniz
View more >
MAKING RADAR ALTIMETRY MORE USABLE AND WEB ?· MAKING RADAR ALTIMETRY MORE USABLE AND WEB-INTEROPERABLE…
Semantic Technologies and Semantic Web: Structuring ?· Semantic Technologies and Semantic Web: Structuring…