visual poetry & value - what is visual poetry? this is usually poetry written in an intentional form
Post on 04-Jul-2020
Embed Size (px)
VISUAL POETRY & HANDMADE BOOKS
WHAT IS VISUAL POETRY?
This is usually poetry written in an intentional form to emphasize the words of the poem. It employs the use of some or all visual art elements – line, shape, value, colour, form, space, texture – to symbolize the intended effect of the words.
TYPOGRAPHY AS A VISUAL ASSIGNMENT
For this assignment, we will not be creating poems as much as we will look at typography and how it can be used as a visual form.
How did this artist use typography to create a visual form?
STEP 1: BRAINSTORM THE THEME
PROCESS WORK 2
Work with a partner. Share your 12 thumbnails.
From feedback from your partner, choose your best four thumbnails for your final designs. Use the following criteria to support your decisions.
1. Which thumbnail best shows the words in the shape of the image.
2. Which group of thumbnails would best show unity.
3. How can a thumbnail design be improved? Be nice, be constructive. Use the elements of art (line, shape, colour, space, texture, value, form) to support your ideas.
1. Once you have chosen your four designs, re-work them if necessary. This could mean, adding colour or changing a font as suggested by your partner.
2. Choose one of the book-making approaches. (see Ms. Toor’s samples)
a) Flat-lay book
b) Star book
Complete your images on the paper provided. Draw all four images first.
Shape or form of the image is created and emphasized by typeface (font).
The images show value and depth.
The images are unified by art element(s), and not just by theme or idea.
Chosen fonts show variety in shape and size.
Book making technique shows outstanding craftsmanship.