what struggling readers need for success
out of 28
Post on 30-Apr-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONIn this presentation, Keith Pruitt shares 10 things struggling readers need for success in reading.
- 1. What Struggling Readers Need For Success Keith Pruitt, Ed.S. Words of Wisdom Educational Consulting www.woweducationalconsulting.com www.myspace.com/wowedu
- 2. Two Little Boys Look At The Mountain. One says I cant. The other says, I will.
- 3. What Is A Struggling Reader?
- Good Readers
- At-Risk Readers
- Likes to Read
- Strong Comprehension
- Prior Knowledge
- Good Vocabulary
- Passive in Learning
- Talks Negatively about Reading
- Few Strategies
- Poor Comprehension
- Limited Prior Knowledge
- Limited Vocabulary
- Learned Helplessness
- 4. What Struggling Readers Dont Need
- Textbooks that are too hard to read
- To Just be sat in front of a computer
- More of the same as what caused the failure
- Social promotion
- Drill and kill and more worksheets ( Worksheets Dont Build Dendrites, Marcia Tate)
- Continuous testing
- Special education (perhaps)
- 5. Where Do We Find Best Practices?
- National Reading Panel Report
- Reading Next Report
- Theoretical Frameworks
- Some efficacy studies
- What Works Clearinghouse
- 6. The Reading Process
- 7. The Boat in the Basement A woman was building a boat in her basement. When it was finished she couldnt get the the boot out of the basement because it was too wide to go though the door. So she had to take the boat a part to get it out. Perhaps he should of planned ahead. Andrea Butler
- 8. The Reading Process Meaning Visual Structure Sample Predict Check Confirm
- 9. Three Cues Used in Reading Structure It __________________across the grass.
- 10. Three Cues Used in Reading
- John let his pet rabbit go.
- It __________________across the grass.
- 11. Three Cues Used in Reading
- It hopped across the grass.
- 12. Three Cues Used in Reading
- It hopped across the grass.
- 13. #1- Students Must Break The Code
- Foundational phonics is essential, but by itself is not enough.
- Can I build a house with just a hammer?
- Does the foundation alone constitute a house?
- 14. #2-Children Need to Read, Read, Read!!! What Really Matters for Struggling Readers, Richard Allington, 2001
- 15. #3-Students Need Books At Instructional Levels Lev Vygotsky, Marie Clay, etc.
- 16. #4-Need to hear language Stephen Krashen, Linda Hoyt
- 17. #5- Practice
- According to Lucy Calkins and Richard Allington, the average amount of time children spend actually reading during a 90 minute block is less than _ minutes (range is _____)
- 18. #5- Practice
- According to Lucy Calkins and Richard Allington, the average amount of time children spend actually reading during a 90 minute block is less than 4 minutes (range is 4-10)
- 19. #6-Students Need Words Beck, McKeown, Kucan, Marzano, Nagy
- 20. From Pruitt, dissertation, 2009 Summary of the Hart and Risley Demographic Study Chart 1 Welfare 13 M words Working 26 M words Professional 45 M words Derived from Hart & Risley, 1995 , pp 197-198
- 21. #7- Books That Interest Students
- 22. #8-Students Need Strategies Ask Questions Make Connections Synthesize Visualization Determining Importance Inferring
- 23. #9- Students Need Exposure to New Experiences
- Virtual Tours ( www.woweducationalconsulting.com and www.myspace.com/wowedu )
- Field Trips
- Guest Speakers
- Living Museum
- History and Science Workshop
- 24. #10- Students Need to Hear Fluent Reading
- Books on Tape
- Partner Reads
- Teacher Reads
- Fluent Reader Audio programs
- Small Group choral reading
- 25. Conclusion
- This is merely a summary of best practices.
- Remember, we teach children not programs.
- These children depend on us to help them be successful.
- 26. Teach them what you know , they pass a test . Teach them how to learn , they pass a lifetime .
- 27. WE WILL! SUCCESS
- 28. Thank You Keith Pruitt Words of Wisdom Educational Consulting www.woweducationalconsulting.com
View more >