writing - short stories
out of 7
Post on 21-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Elements and Characteristics
- The short story is type of fictional writing that tends to be more brief and to the point than longer works of fiction such as and novels.
- Short stories tend to be less complex than novels. Usually, a short story will focus on only one incident, has a single plot, a single setting, a limited number of characters, and covers a short period of time.
- Short stories have their origins in oral story-telling traditions.They also developed from the prose anecdote, a swiftly-sketched situation that quickly comes to its point.
- The term short story most often refers to a work of fiction no longer than 20,000 words and no shorter than 1,000.
- Stories less than 1,000 words are usually referred to either as "short short fiction, "short shorts, or flash fiction.
- A short story is one that should be able to be read in one sitting,
View more >