acupuncture & pain relief
Post on 08-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONEastern and Western View of how and why acupuncture relieves pain.
- 1.Acupuncture & Pain Relief Heaven & Earth Acupuncture and Wellness How Acupuncture Relieves Pain and Promotes Healing
2. Areas of Discussion
- Acupuncture & Pain Relief from Eastern mind set
- Acupuncture & Pain Relief from Western mind set
- Pain Relief & Acupuncture Data
3. Eastern Mind Set
- Pain = Blocked Energy
- Sources of Blockages
- Poor Diet
- Environmental Factors
4. BLOCKAGE!!!! 5. Resolving Pain Eastern Mindset
- Remove the Blockage!
- Where do the needles go?
- Ashi Points Ouch Points
- Local Needling
- Systemic Needling Channel Based
- Happy Points Relaxing
- Tui Na
- Manual Manipulation TherapyMassage
6. Resolving Pain Cont.
- Electro Stimulation
- Passing current along painful channel
- Removes blockage from channel
- Relieves pain within short period of time
- Can relieve pain within minutes
- Cupping Therapy
- Suction created within cups
- Applied to skin
- Creates movement by creating stagnation in a different location
7. Resolving Pain Cont.
- Herbal Medicine
- Goal for Pain Relief
- Invigorate the blood, resolve blockage, relieve pain
- Common herbs for Pain Relief
- Ru Xiang (Frankincense)
- Mo Yao (Myrrh)
- Yan Hu Suo (Great Corydalis)
- Opium poppy alternative, to which it is distantly related. It does not contain morphine / codine
- Analgesic, Antiseptic, Antispasmodic and Sedative
8. Unblocked 9. Western Mind Set
- Pain Defined
- Merriam Webster Dictionary
- A basic bodily sensation induced by noxious stimulus, receive by naked nerve endings, characterized by physical discomfort
10. Western Mindset Cont.
- Treatment of Pain (Standard of Care)
- Merck Manual Bible
- Nonopioid and opioid analgesics are the mainstay of pain treatment. Antidepressants, anticonvulsive, or other CNS-active drugs may be used. Neuraxial therapies, nerve stimulation, injection therapies, and neural blockade can help select patients. Cognitive intervention (eg. Relaxation techniques, hypnosis, biofeedback) and behavioral therapy may help modify patients response to pain.
- Palliative Care
11. Acupuncture Response within the Body
- Close-Ended System
- Acupuncture focuses the bodies response to area
- Acupuncture excites receptors or nerve fibres in the stimulated tissue which are also physiologically activated by strong muscle contractions. Both exercise and acupuncture produce rhythmic discharges in nerve fibres, and cause the release of endogenous opioids and oxytocin essential to the induction of functional changes in different organ systems. Beta-endorphin levels, important inpain controlas well as in the regulation of blood pressure and body temperature, have been observed to rise in the brain tissue of animals after both acupuncture and strong exercise.
12. Electro Stimulation to Needles
- Neuropeptides are released by EA with different frequencies
- 2 Hz accelerates the release of enkephalin, beta-endorphin and endomorphin
- Immediate relief
- 100 Hz selectively increases the release of dynorphin
- Prolonged relief
- A combination of the two frequencies produces a simultaneous release of all four opioid peptides, resulting in a maximal therapeutic effect
13. Scientific Evidence of Acupuncture
- Twelve patients were monitored using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), a technology that reveals what parts of the brain are receiving increased blood flow.
- The patients were subjected to pain in the form of a tiny filament used to prick the inside or outside of their upper lip.
- Seven subjects received traditional acupuncture at the Hegu point (LI4) Thumb and Index Finger
- Remaining five subjects received electroacupuncture at the Hegu point
14. Scientific Evidence Cont.
- fMRI showed considerably decreased levels of brain activity associated with the pain
- The study found activity subsided in 60 to 70 percent of the entire brain
- The response was even greater among those who received electroacupuncture
- Those subjects showed a greater tolerance to pain than those who received traditional acupuncture treatment
15. Scientific Evidence Cont.
- Study Conclusion-
- "It is important for Western medicine to recognize that these acupoints really mean something in regard to pain relief," Dr. Lee concluded. "So many people with pain, whether from cancer, headache or a chronic, unexplained condition, rely on medications such as morphine, which can become addicting. Acupuncture asno side effects , and other studies have shown the pain relief it provides can last for months."
- Dr. Wen-Ching Liu, an assistant professor of radiology at UMDNJ
16. Scientific Evidence Cont.
- Article from Massage & Bodyworks March/April 2009
- Acupuncture for Headaches
- Duke University Study
- 4,000 participants
- 62%showed significant pain reduction after acupuncture
- 45% showed significant pain reduction with pharmaceuticals
- Acupuncture products fewer harmful sign effects versus pharmaceuticals
17. Scientific Evidence- Cont.
- Acupuncture and fMRI study confirms acupuncture and neurological response
18. Acupuncture Relieves Pain
- Does not matter which side of the fence you stand.
- Science is proving what we already know
- Acupuncture is a viable pain relief and healing tool.
- Acupuncture increase the quality of life
- Activities of Daily Living
19. Free Initial Consultationand First Treatment!
- Pain Discussion Attendants have access to Special Pricing Structure
- 10 Treatments for $425
- Standard Treatment- $55
20. Introducing.Isabel Caleigh Smith