computer tips, tricks & tweaks
Post on 06-Jul-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONBasic Tips For Novice Computer Users
- 1. Computer Tips,Tricks & Tweaks Courtesy of: Lori Rich, Computer Tutoring
2. What is a Menu?
- Unlike at a restaurant, adrop-down menu in a software program is a list of options that are specific to that category.For example, your Web browser ( Internet Explorer)is open. Click onFile and a dropdown list ( menu ) appears.You canopena new file,editthe file,saveorprintthe file.
3. Q.What is a left-click vs. a right click? A.Your mouse has two sides; left and right.With your palm covering the mouse, use your index finger to left-click.You will usually tap quickly two times (double-click). Use your middle or ring finger to right-click.This opens a shortcut menu with options that you can left-click! 4. What is cut and paste?
- Cut and paste is the operation of moving a word or block of text to a different location.This new location can be in the same document, or in a document or program.
- This comes in handy when you are filling in a form online, and you accidentally put data in the wrong box.
5. How is it done?
- First, you must select the text to be cut (highlight) by dragging your mouse across it.
- Then, click onEdit, Cut .
- The text is memorized in an electronic clipboard.
- Go to the location that you want the text to appear.
- ClickEdit, Paste .Voila!
6. What is Copy & Paste?
- It is similar to cut and paste. Instead of moving the text, you are copying the text and inserting it in a different location.Once the text is copied, it can be pasted multiple times.
7. Why Doesnt Text Appear Where I Expect?
- The blinking line on your computer screen is called theinsertion point . That point is where text will appeareven if yourmouse pointeris somewhere else!
8. H a n d y S h o r t c u t
- Press theCTRLkey along with the A key to select all of the text on a page.Comes in handy when copying or deleting!
- You can also use the shortcut menu (right-click) and use the Select All option that will do the same thing.
9. Where can I get more help?
- For tutoring of most software programs, help with internet and email access, and downloading files & photos, contact:
- Lori Rich, Computer Tutoring,223-6869