critiquing participatory video
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThis presentation critiques Participatory Video and questions some underlying assumptions about the emancipatory nature of the video-making process. Do ask for the full paper if you are interested
Understandings from the Process:
- Namita Singh
QuickTime™ and a decompressorare needed to see this picture.
How does PV affect the agency of women?
How and Where: The lens and its focus
• PV - my Practice and Research
• Ground Zero - Akshara in Mumbai and Mahita in Hyderabad, India
• The PV Projects - For local social change
• The freedom and critical perspective equation - through young
• Factors I explore - Viability and sustainability
Methodology: How I did, what I did (last
• Participatory Observation
• Focus Groups
• Participatory Video
Agency in Context: It all makes Sen’s…!
• Citizen’s participation and agency
• Amartya Sen’s Capability Approach
• The ability ‘To do’ and ‘To be’
The Video-Making: Shoot to skill…
• Raising Issues
• Engagement with Communities
Representation: Mirror, mirror on the wall…
• Is Representation essentially empowering?
• What about Reality and Aspirations?
• Resisting and Accepting Gender Norms
• Multiple performative identities
Raising Issues: What say you…?
• How to balance support and domination?
• Need to choose between product quality and participants’ agency?
• The freedom and critical perspective equation
Being with Communities: The Engagement Ring
• From harassment to respect
• From hostility to trust
• Community engagement as a source of agency
• The focus - wide angle or community oriented?
PV in Research: Shooting from my lip…
• Representation: Balancing reality and aspirations, resistance
and acceptance of gender norms
• Raising Issues: Treading between research agendas and
• Being with communities: ‘My’ audience; ‘Their’ audience
The Understanding : To be or not to be…
• Agency as the focus - understanding the contribution of
participatory processes in development
• Video or participants - choosing between the product and the
• PV as Technique or PV for Sustaining Agency - focusing on