out of 37
Post on 20-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- World Famous Earthquakes and Volcanoes
- By The Explorers
- 2. The Sumatra earthquake of Dec.26, 2004 by: KC
- 3. Sumatra earthquakeA minute before 8:00 a colossal earthquake happened in Sumatra, Indonesia on December 26, 2004 (magnitude of about 9.3). It happened in the northern part of Indonesia and the Andaman Sea.It started in the Indian Ocean and went NE and hit Sumatra. It was the worst earthquake in the last 100 years to occur in the Indian Ocean. When the earthquake hit Sumatra it hit the Andaman inland .
- 4. Here is a map of Indonesia.Sumatra is on the left side of the pic.
- 5. Over 100 people died in the Sumatra earthquake. And it was vary hard to find the people who were lost, here is a policeman trying to find the lost and hurt people in the rubble.
- 6. Unzen the deadly volcano of 1792 by: LG
- 7. The Unzen volcano picture
- 8. Unzen, a large volcano on Kyushu near Nagasakai, erupted catastrophically in 1792.
- An earthquake started by the eruption triggered an avalanche.
- 9. Unzen the volcano has rapidly grew in the past 200,000 years, forming a large cone.
- Eruptions over the past 150,000 years filled in much of the graben. A graben is a place between two fault lines. Initially, activity was dominated by blocky andesitic lava and ash flows. Andesite is an igneous rock with a weird texture.
- 10. Activity from 150,000 years ago to the present has occurred at a number of sites all around the volcanic complex, building four main domes at different times:
- The nodake (70-150,000 years old)
- Myokendake (25-40,000 years old)
- Fugendake (younger than 25,000 years old)
- And Mayuyama (4,000 years old.)
- 11. Mount St. Helens 1980 EruptionBy: NH
- There where 36 victims, there was a mud slide that reached a car 7 miles away. Mount St. Helens lost 1,314 feet after the eruption, it lost a volume of 0.67 cubic miles, the very bottom of the crater is at 6,279 feet.
- The ash cloud got to a height of 80,000 feet(15.151515 miles high) in less than 15 minutes and circled the Earth in 15 days and the ash depth was 10 inches, an area of 22,000 square miles of ash. It spread across the U.S. in 3 days.
- The land slide was 70-150mph, the lateral blast was 300mph. It blew down enough trees to build 300,000 two-bedroom homes, 4billon board feet of timber. The final cost was $2.74 billion to repair every thing Mount St. Helens destroyed . It released 24 megatons of thermal energy.
- The temperature of the Pyroclastic Flows was 1,300F it was as fast as 50-80 miles per hour. Lahars damaged 27 bridges and nearly 200 homes.
- Krakatau, Indonesia.
- By: NM
- 16. Krakatau was 2nd largest volcanic eruption in Indonesia of all time.
- 17. Krakatau is astrato volcano but it also made a caldera
- 18. It blew off 2,000 feet of the volcano
- 19. The tsunami was 180 feet high thats the same height as a 14 story high building. It went almost over the entire island.
- 20. Krakatau killed 36,000 people.It hadnt erupted until that dayMay 20, 1883 that was the first eruption since two centuries ago.
- 21. Krakatau made a dust cloud seven story high.
- 22. Aerial view of Indonesia.
- 23. The fault lines and volcanoes around Indonesia.
- 24. Where Krakatau is and the areas it can affect.
- 25. The eruption of Krakatau
- Tangshan, China By: WT
- 27. The Tangshan, China earthquake on July 27 , 1976 is the deadliest earthquake recorded.About 242,000 people died from this earthquake.
- 28. The reason the 8.3 earthquake was so deadly is because buildings werent built to withstand the strong force of such an earthquake. The reason the buildings werent so strong is because it was in an area that didnt expect earthquakes.
- 29. The second part of the reason it killed so many people is because there was only one road to the area that was not destroyed. 80% of the people were saved but an aftershock of a magnitude 7.1 reburied them in rubble.
- The night before the earthquake people claim to have heard strange sounds and weird lights. The animals also gave warning that the earthquake was about to happen. One thousand chickens refused to eat and drink and ran around chirping like crazy. Mice and weasels were sighted running around searching for a place to hide. In one of the houses a goldfish was jumping in its bowl. At two oclock a.m. an hour and forty two minutes before the earthquake the goldfish jumped out of its bowl as the owner kept putting him back in the bowl the fish kept on jumping out.
- 31. When the earthquake hit over one million people lay sleeping they didnt know that the earthquake was about to happen.
- The Eruption of Kilauea on
- May 18 th , 1924
- By QH
- Most of the blocks were small, but some blocks reached more than 200 pounds (90 kg). Some of the rocks reached 3,000 feet (900m) in the air.
- 35. This is the Kilauea caldera
- 36. It was raining pisolites (mud balls) as big as peas
- The only person killed was Truman Taylor
- 37. There were about 200 earthquakes before the eruption and there were reports of the ground splitting open more than a meter wide and then closing up again
- The eruption doubled the diameter of Kilauea to about 3,000 feet.
View more >