emailing using hotmail - leisure and culture hotmail page 8 of 14 sending hotmail email attachments
Post on 04-Jul-2020
Embed Size (px)
EMAILING USING HOTMAIL
Hotmail Page 2 of 14
Signing into Your Email Account
Open up explorer and type in www.hotmail.com in the address bar.
• Enter your email address.
• Hit the tab key on the keyboard and enter your password.
Hotmail opens up with the Hello page as shown below.
• Click on the Inbox to check received mail or to compose a new email.
Hotmail Page 3 of 14
Receiving Emails From the main Hotmail screen click on the Inbox button.
To read emails you have received:
• Move the mouse to the Sort by column, select the email you wish to read, when the
pointer changes to a hand
click once with the left mouse button to open the email.
• To delete an email insert a tick inside the box next to
• Click on the Delete button.
Hotmail Page 4 of 14
Composing an Email Using Hotmail
• Click the New button to send a new email.
• Click in the To: box with the left mouse button to insert the flashing cursor.
Type the recipient’s email address i.e. joeblogs@hotmailcom or insert the
address from the Favorite Contacts List.
• If you would like to send a copy to other recipients type their email
addresses in the Cc: box separated by a comma.
• Click in the Subject: box and type a subject, it can simply be Hi.
• Click inside the text area and start to type in your email.
• When you are finished composing your email click the Send button to send your email.
Hotmail Page 5 of 14
• To delete any unwanted emails click inside the box with the left mouse button next to the recipient’s name.
• Click the Delete button.
Hotmail Page 6 of 14
• The emails are then sent to the Deleted Folder so don’t forget to empty your trash can afterwards.
• Click on the Deleted from the folders list and place a tick inside the box next to the Sort By box – that will select all the emails in the deleted Folder.
Press delete to empty the deleted folder
Hotmail Page 7 of 14
• Folders are a way of organising your emails.
• Select the email by placing a tick in the box next to the email.
• Click on the Put in Folder button and select the folder you wish the email to be put into.
• You can also create a new folder by selecting the New Folder from the list.
• A dialogue box appears asking you to type in a name for your new folder.
• Click the OK button when you are finished.
Hotmail Page 8 of 14
Sending Hotmail Email Attachments
Sending an attachment simply means including a picture or text document with your email.
• Hotmail allows you up to 2MB of free space, only 1MB of which can be used for attachments.
• To send an attachment click with the left mouse button on the Attach button.
• Select File from the drop down list.
Hotmail Page 9 of 14
Adding Your Attachments
• The Choose File dialogue box appears.
• Now you have to find your file - it will be in either My Documents or other external storage device
• Select the file by clicking once with the left mouse button.
• Click the Open button down on the right hand side of the dialogue box.
Hotmail Page 10 of 14
Attachments - Step 2
Hotmail allows you to attach a number of files with a maximum size of 1MB.
• To attach more than one file click on the Ok and Attach Another
• Then simply click on the Browse button and repeat step 1 to attach another file.
• Hotmail will display the details of the current attachments including the file name and file size.
Ensure the attachments are the correct files.
• Click the OK button to return to your email.
• Click the Send button to send your email as normal.
Hotmail Page 11 of 14
Receiving Hotmail Email Attachments
• Open up the email.
• The email opens as normal and includes the attachment. When you hover over the picture a small toolbar appears.
Hotmail Page 12 of 14
� Once the email is opened click on the Attachment link.
� Hotmail will automatically scan the file for viruses and warn you if the attachment is affected. If the attachment is
infected Delete it immediately.
� In the file download dialogue box select Save and then click OK.
� In the Save in: location select the Floppy drive (A:).
� Click Save to begin downloading the attachment.
When the download is complete the dialogue box will close
Hotmail Page 13 of 14
The picture toolbar shown above includes the following four options:
• The Save icon enabling you to save
the picture either to My Documents
or to the 3 ½ Floppy drive (a:).
• Simply Print the picture.
• Send this image in an email.
• Open My Pictures folder.
If the attachment is a text document you will need to download the file.
• Click on the file name to the right of Attachment: when the pointer turns into a hand to open the attachment.
• Remember to always scan attachments before downloading.
Hotmail Page 14 of 14
Adding a New Contact Email addresses can be difficult to remember so it is a good idea to add the email address to your Contacts list.
• Click on the Contacts List button.
Now Click on the Edit button to add people to you address book