environmental concerns of latin america
out of 24
Post on 18-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Latin Americas Environmental Concerns Unit 7 Notes
- 2. Air Pollution in Mexico City nearly 20 million people live here second most populated city in the world--Tokyo is first citys population & location contribute to its bad air pollution problem considered to be the most polluted city in the world
- 3. Air Pollution Over Mexico City
- 4. Air Pollution Over Mexico City
- 5. Causes of Air Pollution1. huge population = lots of cars2. high elevation--less oxygen so fuels dont fully burn --higher level of gases that harm eyes, lungs, & the heart1. Sierra Madre mountains surround city & trap in polluted air (Wind is unable to blow gases/chemicals away)
- 6. Surrounded by Mountains
- 7. Solutions To reduce air pollution, the city promotes public transportation (buses, subway). The city is also testing buses that run on cleaner burning fuels. new restrictions on car use and emissions workshops to teach people about the environment Changing the fuel used in factories
- 8. Amazon Rainforest largest rainforest in the world most of the rainforest is in Brazil experiences a hot, humid, & rainy tropical climate home to a huge variety of plants, trees, insects, birds, & animals produces 1/3 of the earths oxygen
- 9. Amazon Rainforest
- 10. Destruction of the AmazonRainforest In the 1950s, the Brazilian government began building a major highway system. opened rainforest to loggers Farmers are also cutting using a method known as Slash and Burn Brazils population has increased--parts of rainforest are being cut down to create farms, homes, and ranches
- 11. Before
- 12. After
- 13. Results of Deforestation Plants & animals are losing their homes; many are endangered, and some are becoming extinct. Loss of trees increases carbon dioxide, a gas that contributes to global warming.
- 14. Solutions The government is working to fix the deforestation problem by passing laws on cutting down too many trees. The government is setting aside land to protect areas of the rainforest The Government is setting up programs where new trees are planted when older trees are cut down.
- 15. Oil-Related Pollution in Venezuela One of the worlds leading producers of oil has been producing oil for about 100 years Oil production has boosted economy Main source of income for many people Oil production results in toxic wastes, air pollution, & oil spills
- 16. Problems Venezuelas coast has become polluted with oil. oil spills have damaged the environment hurts the ability of fishermen to earn a living due to killing fish.
- 17. Result of Drilling for Oil
- 18. Problems Venezuela leads South America in the production of carbon dioxide, which is a by- product of burning fossil fuels like natural gas & oil. can cause breathing problems for children & elderly contributes to global warming
- 19. Problems Oil businesses have damaged Lake Maracaibo (largest lake in South America). Large amounts of oil have been removed from the area so the land is changing. * eastern shore of the lake is dropping about three inches a year Contaminated oil pits, which collect waste from oil wells, threaten to seep into the water supply for people. government is having to take precautions to keep water from flooding into nearby towns
- 20. Problems Money from selling oil is the countrys main source of income. Venezuelans are motivated to keep producing, selling, and burning oil--and polluting.
- 21. Solutions People are becoming aware that the cost in the long term may be too great. Groups are calling for renewable energy sources and the clean-up and prevention of pollution. Venezuelas state oil company is working to clean up its pits It has adopted an environmental policy to focus more closely on environmental protection.
View more >