making that tumblr tumble
of 9 /9
Post on 18-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresentation to accompany talk at SoCon, Atlanta, GA, Feb. 9, 2013. Case study of successful Tumblr, Art Deco Architecture, and tips on how to succeed on Tumblr.
- 1. Making That Tumblr Tumble Achieving Tumblr SuccessWendy Darling, Atlanta, [email protected] | facebook.com/wdarling | tumblr.com/wdarling | about.me/wdarling
- 2. Begun October 2010 As of Feb. 8, 2013 6,963 Posts 5,732 Followers 746 Likes on Facebook 299 Followers on TwitterArt Deco Architecture Blog for Art Deco architecture, civil engineering, interiordesign, plus related history and culture around the world decoarchitecture.tumblr.com
- 3. Types of Posts Photos Historical Photos (1900s-1940s) Later Photos Recent Photos Historic Illustrations Architectural Drawings Postcards and Posters Advertising Movie Sets New Digital Design & Traditional Art Videos Articles and Books Reblogs Questions & Submissions
- 4. Traffic Numberson Web SiteSince Inception*200,000 Visits570,000 Page ViewsMost Viewed Posts: Empire State Building Lobby - 12,000 Chrysler Building Elevator - 5,200 Helsinki Train Station - 3,900 Whitehouse Diner (NJ) - 3,400* 6 mo. missing data in 2012NOTE: This does not include viewsvia Tumblr itself. Tucson, Arizona
- 5. AudienceGrowth Google Tags and descriptions in posts Other Tumblrs & sites linking Success leads to success Tagging Users browsing by tag (click under posts) Users searching Tumblr by tag Influential Tumblrs reblogging Tumblr Features Featured Tumblr tags Spotlight image Facebook Twitter Pinterest
- 6. Why Tumblr? Easy to use from both browser and posting POV Plays well with others Twitter, RSS, etc. Wide variety of templates and options Fun to explore Easy to reblog* Community and reciprocation Ill share you, you share me, we both benefit* (Maybe too easy.)
- 7. Good Tumblr Citizenship Credit, credit, credit! Tag! Name source. Enables others to find your content Link to source. Provides more context Link photo to source. Links your content to similar content Promote source. Identify! Be egalitarian! Buildings, people, etc. should Promote other Tumblrs and blogs. not be posted unlabeled. Reblog others and while youre This way, context is retained. at it, thank them. Goes along with crediting source. Dont spam! 100 reblogs in a day isnt going to gain you followers. Stay on your topic.
- 8. Tools to Try Queue Tags Facebook Fan Page Automatic RSS Import Hootsuite Twitter Co-Editors Tumblr Apps
- 9. Questions?Wendy [email protected]/wdarlingtumblr.com/wdarlingabout.me/wdarlingArt Deco [email protected]