mission instruction: look back…look here…look between…look beyond julie machnaik, november...
out of 27
Post on 18-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- MISSION INSTRUCTION: Look backLook hereLook betweenLook beyond Julie Machnaik, November 2007 Deconstruct Reconstruct Self-Construct Instruct Butdo NOT self-destruct!
- Slide 2
- Assignment 1: Background Review Look Back What are our views of instruction in the schools of yesterday? I am beginning to understand the historical constructions
- Slide 3
- Student Teacher Construction of .
- Slide 4
- 1924 1964 Construction of School
- Slide 5
- 1979 1999 2003
- Slide 6
- Assignment 2: Look Here & Look Between What are our views of instruction in schools of today? What has changed/not changed throughout the decades? Historical constructs still with us?? This is where the Mission Possible assignment intensifies
- Slide 7
- 4:00 A.M. SPLAT! Another analogy saves the day 4:00 A.M. SPLAT! Here comes another analogy
- Slide 8
- GPS Global Positioning System Instruction GPS System
- Slide 9
- GPS Global Positioning System Features: set course, single destination, right way path defined, determined by outside force no nonsense common sense route route summary provided with step by step, linear take a wrong turn, rerouted back on track controlled by satellites
- Slide 10
- GPS Global Positioning System driver vehicle driven road conditions roadblocks, detours unpredictable weather Factors not considered:
- Slide 11
- Connection to Instruction? lesson plans, objectives - set course, destination predetermined, linear students will know, do and be likecommon sense route (SWBAT) doesnt take into account different needs, interests, abilities, backgrounds one regular or right way to reach destination if you take an incorrect turn, satellites (discourses) will reroute/guide/assist & PERSIST/INSIST you back on track
- Slide 12
- If youre not secure in your way or your choice, you will succumb to the pressures Drivers become dependent on GPS for direction Begin to blindly trust and accept direction(s) without question Diversity is a liability - stay on the main road, know your place, pay attention to directions and all will reach same destination Learning is in a classroom setting
- Slide 13
- GPS is all of the regulative discourses within each satellite system (curriculum, administrators, parents, colleagues, students) As context changes, the satellites (regulative discourses) may change but always exist
- Slide 14
- GPS Model: Technical-rational Instruction Education viewed as a technical problem and teachers transmit fixed curriculum designed for the greatest number of students (Vibert & Shields, 2003). Teaching is a technical exercise where teachers transmit packages of knowledge to others in a technical delivery system (Parker, 1997). The industrial revolution invented a way of thinking about productivity that is still with us (Eisner, 2005, p. 16).
- Slide 15
- Interpretive/Student-Centered GPS Plus Global Positioning System Plus
- Slide 16
- GPS PLUS Features: Engaged (or busy?) traveller - Activities, games, books, DVD player, iPods Single destination with traveller input Directions are animated and motivational Arrive at the destination but have diversions along the way Common Sense route with heart Learning through play - Playroom
- Slide 17
- Diversity is still a liability but it now can be overcome with care, love and respect in a classroom environment that engages the child to be a more active, responsible learner Still saysstay on the main road, but well take better care of you and keep you busy, happy, engaged, entertained Same route, same destination, more enjoyable trip
- Slide 18
- GPS PLUS: Interpretive/student-centered instruction Edelsky (1999) reminds us that progressive education may simply be a kinder, gentler way to maintain systems of dominance (p. 152). Kumashiro (2004) states, Common sense often makes it easy to continue teaching and learning in ways that allow the oppressions already in play to continue to play out unchallenged in our schools and society (p. XXIV). As Foucault (1979) states, Whenever one is dealing with a multiplicity of individuals on whom a task or a particular form of behavior must be imposed, the panoptic schema may be used (p. 205).
- Slide 19
- Assignment 3: Look Beyond Think beyondwhat would happen if Global Possibility Systems GPS stood for Global Possibility Systems ?
- Slide 20
- GPS Future Global Possibilities System What are the possibilities? What could this look like?
- Slide 21
- Enable multiple routes to varied destinations based on need and interest Acknowledge different drivers, different passengers Who are you traveling with? What are their needs? Interests? Backgrounds? Directions are open-ended, interactive involving choice and priorities Choose your own adventure!
- Slide 22
- Context is the window to understanding Every step you take opens options to a new world of possibilities You dont know what is possible until you take the next step Learning occurs in a learning space
- Slide 23
- GPS Future Global Possibilities System Features: Imagination Improvisation Creativity Hopefulness Thoughtfulness Caring, respectful
- Slide 24
- GPS Future Global Possibilities System Satellites Focus on: Critical Consciousness Ask troubling questions Problematize how any approach to teaching is partial (Kumashiro, 2004, p. 15) Being aware of the multiple satellites that track, guide, yet still control Freeing individuals Diversity as being an asset!
- Slide 25
- GPS Future Global Possibilities System A site of uncertainty, a site of possibilities and hope ~Aoki~
- Slide 26
- Our task is to look for new images, even if they cannot be put into the structures of today ~Huebner~
- Slide 27
- Deconstruct Reconstruct Todays Mission is CompleteFor Now This message will self-destruct in 30 seconds Self-construct
View more >
Compose to Decompose to Recompose Construct to Deconstruct to Reconstruct MetRecycle.com | TulsaMasterGardeners.org | CompostEverything.net
How to Reconstruct Schemas People Share, Two How to Reconstruct Schemas People Share, From What They…
Introduction day Morning Unit Two what is an argument Intro What is an argument Girl V dad How to deconstruct an argument Look through paper two & question
2004 RAH Reconstruct Œ the following is dedicated to the ... ?· 2004 RAH Reconstruct Œ the following…