natural disasters: a comprehensive presentation
out of 29
Post on 21-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThis is a comprehensive presentation on Natural Disasters.
- Natural Disasters Presented by: Faisal Naseer, Sanaullah Khan
- Definition. Categories of natural disasters. Places of occurrence. Similarities & Differences. Outline:
- What is a Natural Disaster? A natural disaster is an event caused by natural forces of nature that has a large effect on the human population.
- Meteorological Natural disasters of the atmosphere
- Types of Meteorological Disasters Hurricane, Typhoon, Cyclones. Tornadoes. Characteristics: Hard rain, flooding, high winds. Duration: 8 24 hours of full force
- Cyclone, Typhoon, Tornado, Hurricane Whats the difference??
- Cyclone, Typhoon, Hurricane Define: A tropical storm that forms over an ocean The difference is WHERE they form Cyclone: Asia, South of the Equator Typhoon: Asia, North of the Equator Hurricane: Atlantic Ocean & East Coast of North America
- Tropical Storm Map
- Test Your Knowledge Write these down: What wind storm occurs in these countries: United States: Australia: India: Japan: Canada:
- Wait, whats a Tornado?? Isnt that the same??
- Tornado A Tornado forms over land. Also called a Twister Most Of them occurs in Tornado Alley in the USA
- Tornadoes Occurrence Worldwide Areas Worldwide which experience the highest chance of seeing tornados. shaded orange.
- Tornado Alley Tornado Alley is the area where Tornados form the most. It includes the states of: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota
- How and why do they occur? The middle states are located between the warm air of the Gulf of Mexico and the cold air of the Pacific Ocean from Canada.
- Tornados vs. Hurricanes Tornado Hurricanes
- Geological Disasters Natural disasters of the land
- Earthquake? Whats that??
- Earthquakes A sudden shaking of the ground as a result of movements of the earths tectonic plates
- How do they happen? The earths surface rests on moving sheets of crust called tectonic plates These plates move VERY slowly
- How do they happen? When the plates collide, they create mountains When the plates separate, they form volcanoes.
- Hydrological Disasters Natural disasters of the water
- Types of Meteorological Disasters Tsunami. A long, high sea wave caused by an earthquake or other disturbance. Floods. An overflow of water beyond its normal limits, especially over what is normally dry.
- How do They Occur TSUNAMI FLOODS
- Where do Tsunami Occur
- Where do Floods occur
- Lets see what they can do.
- Statistics In 2012, there were 905 natural catastrophes worldwide. 93% of which were weather-related disasters. 45% were meteorological (storms) 36% were hydrological (floods) 12% were climatological (heat waves, cold waves, droughts, wildfires) 7 % were geophysical events (earthquakes and volcanic eruptions). Between 1980 and 2011 geophysical events accounted for 14% of all natural catastrophes.
View more >