open-source software for the greater good
Post on 30-Jun-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Open-Source Software for the Greater Good Chuck Harmston @cpharmston #oss4good
2. What is open source?
- Wikipedia for software!
- Freely distributed
- Freely editable
- Free as in beer or free as in speech?
3. Open Source Software Projects
- Webkit (Safari)
- Ruby on Rails
4. Why is it popular with you all?
- FREE! Well, sort of.
- Open support communities
- If you find a bug it, you can fix it! (or ask the community to)
- If you want a pony, you can make it! (or ask the community to)
5. Open Everything!
- Open APIs (NPR, Twitter)
- Open data (data.gov, Sunlight Labs)
- Open research (OS Drug Discovery Network)
- Open maps (OpenStreetMap)
6. MP Expenses
- Open data: British Parliament Members expense reports
- Open source software: platform built with Django
- Citizen journalism: all investigative work down by the crowd
- Result: massive political scandal
- Open-source framework for dynamic data collection, logistics coordination and communication, leveraging basic short message service (SMS) mobile phone technology.
- Makes use of RapidSMS
- Allows community healthworkers in the field to reportpatient symptoms from the field
MUAC> SAM+ Patient requires IMMEDIATE inpatient care. +28 DIALLO F. F/13M (Amie). MUAC 105 mm, Edema, Vomiting, Fever 9. ProjectVRM
- Vendor Relationship Management
- Tries to find new and better ways for vendors and clients to interactdefined by both sides
- Viewers pay what they want, when they want, how they want
10. Its your turn!