poetry figurative language
Post on 23-Feb-2016
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPOETRY Figurative Language. (Figure of speech). When I say figuratively and not literally!. “I think I just dodged a bullet!” Figurative Language is usually used in poetry. . Writers use it to make their poems more lively!. ALLITERATION ONOMATOPOEIA METAPHOR HYPERBOLE - PowerPoint PPT Presentation
Figurative Language (Figure of speech)When I say figuratively and not literally!I think I just dodged a bullet!
Figurative Language is usually used in poetry.
Writers use it to make their poems more lively!
1. ALLITERATIONThe repetition of the same or similar sounds at the beginnings of words.
2. ONOMATOPOEIAA figure of speech in which words are used to imitate sounds such as buzz and hiss.
3. METAPHORA figure of speech in which two things are compared, usually by saying one thing is another.
He was a lion in battle.
The worlds a stage.
4. HYPERBOLEA figure of speech in which deliberate exaggeration is used for emphasis.
5. PERSONIFICATIONA figure of speech in which nonhuman things or abstract ideas are given human attributes.
6. SIMILEA figure of speech in which two things are compared using the word like or as.
TYPES OF POEMS
1. ACROSTIC POEMVerses or arrangements of words where certain words, such as the first and last letter is used to spell out a word or name.
2. CONCRETE POEMA poem that forms a picture of the topic or follows the contours of a shape that is suggested in the topic.
3. BALLAD POEMA poem that tells a story similar to a folk tale or legend.
4. RHYME POEMThe repetition of similar consonant sounds, especially at the ends of words, as in last and past.
5. EPIC POEMA long, serious poem that tells the story of a heroic figure.
6. FREE VERSE POEMPoetry composed of either rhymed or unrhymed lines that have no set meter.
7. CINQUAIN POEMA poem that has 5 lines in which line 1 has a noun, line 2 has 2 adjectives, line 3 has action words, line 4 is based on feeling (phrases), and line 5 is a synonym of the title.
8. ODE POEMA lyric poem that is serious and thoughtful in tone and has a very precise, formal structure.
9. LIMERICK POEMA light, humorous poem of 5 lines with the rhyme scheme of aabba.
10. COLOR POEMA poem that describes a color.
11. HAIKU POEMA Japanese lyric poem that has 3 unrhymed lines of 5,7, and 5 syllables and involves nature or seasons.