Post on 13-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThis is my first quiz as a quizmaster.done for coimbatore quiz club.
- 1.I ME MYSELF
- Finished schooling in Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. Currently doing first year CSE in Amrita.
- Passionate aboutbadminton, novels and quizzing.
- Turning quizmaster today :P
2. Ahem Rules :D
- NO Infinite Bounce
- Direct answer 10 ,pass 5
- Wikis and my decision are final
- Lets start
3. GENERAL QUIZBy Shyam.K 4.
- 1) X was an American author of horror, fantasy, and science fiction. His major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror, the idea that life is incomprehensible to human minds and that the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Xs works were deeply pessimistic and cynical and hisprotagonists usually achieve the mirror-opposite eternal bliss by momentarily glimpsing the horror of ultimate reality. His novels have also served as theinspiration for songs" The Call of the Ktulu and The Thing that should not be by the metal band Metallica. Identify X.
- Ans: H.P Lovecraft.
- 2)The first issue of this was published in September 20, 1878. It was started by six young men, two school teachers and four law students on a borrowed capital of one rupee and four annas. It was published every Wednesday evening with eightpages , each a quarter of today's page size and sold for four annas .The first editorial of this newspaper declared that the press does not only give expression to public opinion but also modifies and moulds it". Identify thecompany which runs this newspaper.
- Ans: Kasturi and Sons or The Hindu
- 3) An American animated sitcom was created by Trey Parker and Matt Stone for the Comedy Central television network. Intended for mature audiences, the show has become infamous for its crude, surreal, satirical, and dark humor that lampoons a wide range of topics. The program contains the following disclaimer All characters and events in this showeven those based on real peopleare entirely fictional. All celebrity voices are impersonated.....poorly. The following program contains coarse language and due to its content it should not be viewed by anyone". Identify the program.
- 4)Voil ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of thevox populi , now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you .Name the character and movie.
- Ans: V for Vendetta and V
- 5) Xs full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts. Xs parents are George and Margaret Roberts from the town of Willows, Wisconsin .X has over forty pets and owns a drivers as well as a pilots license.X has faced complaints of anorexia and Saudi Arabia has accused X of notcomplying with the standards of Islam .X celebrated her fiftieth anniversary on March9 ,2009. Who/what is X?
- Ans: Barbie
- 7)The X is an aerial salute performed as part of a flyover of aircraft at a funeral or memorial event: typically in memory of a fallen pilot. The X varies, using either pull-up, split-off, or empty-position variations. The aircraft fly in a V-shape, with the flight leader at the point and his wingman following his left. The second-element leader follows on the flight leader's right, and his wingman follows on his right. Thus, as seen from the front, the V's left leg is longer than its right. This formation flies over the ceremony low enough to be clearly seen, and when directly over the site, the second-element leader executes an abrupt pull-up, while the rest of the formation continues in level flight until all aircraft are out of sight. The pull up indicates that the person honoured is missing and not with them anymore. Name X.
- Ans:Missing man Formation
- Ans: Google logo on August 14 th.Hans Christian Oerstreds birthday
- 6) Hannibal Lecter is a fictional character in a series of novels by author Thomas Harris. He is a brilliant psychiatrist andcannibal. Hannibal appears in the four novels written by the author Thomas Harris namely Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, X and Y. Name the other two.
- Ans: Red Dragon and Hannibal rising
- 10)Name the character andname the species.
- Ans: Scrat and saber toothed squirrel.
- 11)X is a recording technique in which a sound or message is recorded backward onto a track that is meant to be played forward .Xwas popularized by The Beatles, who used backward vocals and instrumentation on their 1966 albumRevolver. Fundamentalist Christian groups claimed that these messages could bypass the conscious mind and reach the subconscious, where they would be accepted by the listenerClaims of use for Satanic purposes were made against prominent rock musicians, leading to record-burning protests and anti-X legislation by state and federal governments.. Identify X
- Ans: Backmasking or backward masking
- 12)This movie ,based on a novel by Stephen King ,was released in 1994 ,starring Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. Its tagline isFear can hold you prisoner .Hope can set you free. It was nominated for seven Oscar Awards but failed to make a big impact on thebox office ,barely breaking even .It has remained one of the most successful movies in DVD rentals and Television runs. It has an IMDB rating of 9.2 on 10.Identify.
- Clockwise fromtop left: Thomas Alva Edison, Nikola Tesla, George Westinghouse.
- Ans: War of currents or battle of currents
- 14)X is a national personification of the United States and sometimes more specifically of the American government. The first usage of the term dates from the War of 1812 and the first illustration dates from 1852. He is depicted as a serious elderly white man with white hair and a goatee beard, and dressed in clothing that recalls the design elements of flag of the United States, typically a top hat with red and white stripes and trousers with red and white stripes. Name X.
- Uncle Sam.
- Identify .
- Ans: Lord Mountbatten in his Viceroys Office. The calendar showsthe days left for transfer of power.
- 16)X is the ancient name for northern and central India, where the culture of the Indo-Aryans was based .X literally means abode of the Aryans. The boundaries vary .According to one text,its boundaries are said to be theHimalayas in the north ,Vindhyas in the south, the Bay of Bengal and Arabian sea on the east and west respectively. Name X.
- Ans: New York
- 18)X is a comic/cartoon series featuring four mutated red eared sliders who are trained by their sensei, Master Splinter, in the art of Ninjutsu. It was done initially as a parody of four famous comic charactersof 190s namely theDaredevil ,New Mutants, Cerebus and Ronin but later it became a craze with people even adoption read eared sliders as pets. Identify the series.
- Ans:The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- 19)Xis a consumer product. It wasmarketed in 1979 as the X in Japan, the Soundabout in many countries including the US, Freestyle in Sweden and the Stowaway in the UK. The company chairman hated the brand name X" and asked it to be changed, but relented after being told by executives that a promotion campaign had already begun using the X' name and would be too expensive to change. The promotion campaign was unique. Thestaff of the publicity and domestic marketing divisions tookX andspent a day riding busy trains around the center of Tokyo in an attempt to make people listen to Name X.
- Ans: Sony Walkman
- 20)Whose signature is this ?
- Ans: Michael jackson
- 21) 21)X is a handheld weapon, most often a chain, rope, scarf, wire or fishing line used to strangle someone. The term especially refers to an execution device but is sometimes used in assassination, because it can be completely silent. In addition, X is used by some military units. Itwaspopularised by the mafia.Identify.
- Ans: Garrote
- 22)ConnectJohn McLaughlin, Zakir Hussain U. Srinivas ,Shankar Mahadevan, V. Selvaganesh,L. Shankar, T.H. "Vikku" Vinayakram, and R. Raghavan.
- Ans: Members of the band Shakti
- Ans: Albus Dumbledore (RIP) First edition c