t12: non-motorized crossings analysis...non-motorized crossings analysis introduction the original...

RETHINKING I-94 12 Non-motorized Crossings Analysis

Upload: others

Post on 04-Aug-2020

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

Page 1: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

R E T H I N K I N G I - 9 4

12 Non-motorized Crossings Analysis

Page 2: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

APPENDIX T12 – NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS

Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets through many residential neighborhoods and replaced it with a much less-frequent spacing of streets that cross the freeway and often carry considerable volumes of motor vehicle traffic. As a result, walking and bicycling trips became longer and required crossing the freeway on facilities that were often less comfortable and possibly less safe. The purpose of the non-motorized crossings analysis is to review and document the existing pedestrian and bicycle crossings in the Rethinking I-94 study area and identify a framework to guide future crossing improvement investments. The framework emphasizes serving the needs of those who are mostly likely to rely on pedestrian and bicycle travel (including access to transit) to meet their basic transportation needs.

This analysis of non-motorized crossings in the corridor was initiated in response to stakeholder input regarding the barrier to pedestrian and bicycle movement presented by the freeway and the desire to improve multimodal connectivity between and among I-94 communities.

The methodology for the analysis evolved over time, with input from the Rethinking I-94 Planning and Land Use Working Group and the TAC. Ultimately, the key components of the work were:

• Crossings Inventory • Spacing Analysis • User Needs Indicators • Crossing Improvement Principles • Types of Potential Improvements

Each of these is described below.

Crossings Inventory Attachment 1 provides an inventory of the 67 street, trail, or rail crossings over or under I-94 between West Broadway Avenue in Minneapolis and Highway 61 in St. Paul. The crossings are spread over a 15-mile distance and have multiple owners and widely varying characteristics. The purpose of developing a crossing inventory was to bring all relevant information about the crossings into a single location for use by MnDOT staff as well as agency partners and community members. The inventory provides the following information for each crossing:

• Descriptive information (location, year built, owner, etc.) • Existing pedestrian and bicycle facilities (including dimensions where available)

Appendix T12 | 1

Page 3: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

• Planned bicycle facilities • Transit information (transit routes and proximity to regional transit) • Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations • Other designations

Two figures were developed to accompany the inventory. Figure 1 shows the location of all 67 crossings that include pedestrian and/or bicycle facilities. Figure 2 identifies the crossings by facility type (pedestrian, bicycle, over-crossing, undercrossing, railroad, etc.).

A potential next step in this analysis would be to assess the adequacy of the existing crossing facilities with respect to condition, function, safety, etc. While such an effort was beyond the scope of work for Phase 1 of Rethinking I-94, the spreadsheet tool provides the initial basis for such an assessment.

Spacing Analysis To consider adequacy of the distance between existing crossings, the study team produced a series of three maps that visually identify gaps between crossings of ½ mile, ¼ mile, or 1/8 mile, as shown in Figures 3, 4, and 5, respectively. The ½ mile spacing analysis shows only one location in the corridor where the distance between crossings is greater than ½ mile (near TH 280). The ¼ mile analysis shows three areas where spacing is greater than ¼ mile: north of Dunwoody Blvd in Minneapolis, near TH 280, and east of downtown St. Paul. The 1/8 mile spacing analysis shows that for most of the corridor, crossing spacing is greater than 1/8 mile. This spacing information can be incorporated into a more robust walkshed analysis to understand how the spacing of crossings influences trip time and length for non-motorized users.

The fourth map in the spacing analysis highlight the existing street grid (including existing street crossings of I-94) to visually highlight locations where a pedestrian scale street grid may be intact but where there are relatively few crossings (Figure 6).

Appendix T12 | 2

Page 4: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Figure 1. Existing Pedestrian, Bicycle, and Multimodal Crossings of I-94

Appendix T12 | 3

Page 5: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Figure 2. Existing Pedestrian, Bicycle, and Multimodal Crossings of I-94, by Type

Appendix T12 | 4

Page 6: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Figure 3. Distance to Next Crossing - Gaps Greater than 1/2 Mile to Next Crossing

Appendix T12 | 5

Page 7: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Figure 4. Distance to Next Crossing - Gaps Greater than 1/4 Mile to Next Crossing

Appendix T12 | 6

Page 8: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Figure 5. Distance to Next Crossing - Gaps Greater than 1/8 Mile to Next Crossing

Appendix T12 | 7

Page 9: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Figure 6. Street Grid Pattern, and Crossings of I-94

Appendix T12 | 8

Page 10: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

User Needs Indicators The next layer of analysis uses available socioeconomic data as potential indicators of populations that are more reliant on walking, transit, and bicycling for their basic transportation needs. Factors used as potential indicators are described below:

• Poverty (Figures 7 and 8): Census tracts where 40% or more of residents with family or individual incomes less than 185% of the federal poverty threshold (in 2016 this was $45,442 for a family of four and $22,622 for an individual living alone). A subset of this analysis excludes tracts with a large share of college or graduate students who may report very low income but have other sources of support.

• Racial Minority (Figure 9): Census tracts where more than 50% of the population are defined as minority by U.S. Census definitions.

• People of Color Experiencing Concentrated Poverty (Figure 10): This measure shows census tracts where the first two potential indicators of transportation need are combined into a single measure.

• Low Wage Worker Household Density (Figure 11): Shows concentrations of households where workers have earnings of $40,000 annually or less, based on the U.S. Census Longitudinal Employer-Household Dynamics (LEHD) program.

• Transit Dependent Populations (Figure 12): Using the American Community Survey (ACS) 5-year summary file, this map shows the percent of households with zero motorized vehicles available.

Cursory analysis of these maps suggests that are geographic areas with populations where more than one of these indicators is present. Linking these areas to a combined walkshed and crossings map could be used to identify locations where investments in crossings would be more likely to benefit populations that are more dependent on walking, bicycling and transit to meet their basic transportation needs.

Appendix T12 | 9

Page 11: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Figure 7. Areas of Poverty Concentration

Appendix T12 | 10

Page 12: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Figure 8: Areas of Non-Student Poverty Concentration

Appendix T12 | 11

Page 13: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Figure 9: Areas of Minority Concentration

Appendix T12 | 12

Page 14: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Figure 10: Areas of Poverty Concentration, of Minority Concentration, and Both

Appendix T12 | 13

Page 15: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Figure 11: Density of Low Wage Worker Households, Per Acre

Appendix T12 | 14

Page 16: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Figure 12: Transit-dependent Households

Appendix T12 | 15

Page 17: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Crossing Improvement Factors Although this initial phase of Rethinking I-94 does not identify new crossings or improvements to existing crossings, the study team and stakeholder committees prepared two sets of factors that could be used to prioritize future investments. While these principles include input from the TAC and the Planning and Land Use Working Group, they are considered preliminary until a more thorough input process is conducted.

DRAFT FACTORS SUGGESTING A CROSSING NEED

• Presence of equity and vulnerable populations, including high-poverty, high minority populations and concentrations of seniors, children, and ADA populations

• Proximity to residential concentrations • Proximity to employment concentrations • Proximity to destinations

o Consider schools, parks, places of worship, grocery and other stores, colleges and universities, entertainment centers, etc.

• Distance to next crossing • Pedestrian/bicycle trip generators • User safety and comfort • Others to be identified

DRAFT FACTORS SUGGESTING CROSSING LOCATION PRIORITY

• Crossing would address the needs of equity and vulnerable populations, including high-poverty, high minority populations and concentrations of seniors, children, and ADA populations

• Addresses user comfort / safety / convenience • Connects or is part of local or regional walk / bike networks • Serves a large number of people

o Population density o Employment density

• Connects to / provides access to mass transit • Serves transit-dependent households • Connects to schools and libraries • Is identified as a priority in a local or regional plan • Cost effectiveness • Others to be determined

Appendix T12 | 16

Page 18: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Types of Potential Improvements While no recommendations for crossing improvements are being made during this phase of study, the study team sought to define the types of improvements that could be made in any given location. Table 1 provides the menu of options that could be considered.

Table 1. Potential Crossing Improvement Types

Type Description

NONE No need for improvements indicated at this time

MINIMUM STANDARD Improve to minimum standard, as agreed upon by the involved jurisdictions

LOW-COST ADDITIONS Low-cost additions could significantly enhance function (even if facility meets standards or was recently improved)

ENHANCED FACILITY Provide enhanced facility that goes beyond minimum standards

UNIQUE TREATMENTS Potential for unique treatments (extra width, addition of art or other aestheticfeatures, etc.) based on context, community interests, partnerships, etc.

NEW Potential for a new crossing that does not exist today

Conclusions The crossings analysis is an example of the adaptive approach taken in Rethinking I-94 in that additional analysis was undertaken on this issue as the engagement process identified the degree of stakeholder interest in crossings and potential crossing improvements.

This first phase of crossings analysis developed an inventory of existing crossings that is intended to be used by MnDOT and stakeholders as individual projects and needs are identified. The analysis also identifies factors that should be considered to guide future investments.

Prepared by: WSP, Community Design Group

Appendix T12 | 17

Page 19: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

ATTACHMENT 1

Page 20: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Rethinking I-94 Crossing Inventory (as of 5-22-2018)

CROSSING INFORMATION EXISTING PEDESTRIAN AND BICYCLE FACILITIES

Crossing Pedestrian Facilities Approaching Pedestrian Facilities Bikeway Facilities

PLANNED BICYCLE FACILITIES

City/County Met Council TRANSIT MnDOT ADA INFORMATION

OTHER

DESIGNATIONS

Crossing/Street Name MnDOT Bridge

Number(s)

BRIM Status*

(next planned

project)

Year

Built

Year

Remodeled

Roadway

Jurisdiction City Crossing Type

Crossing Pedestrian

Facilities Left Width

Right

Width Approaching Pedestrian Facilities

Left

Width(s)

Right

Width(s) Bikeway Facility Dimensions, Description Locally Planned Bikeways

Met Council RBTN

(Regional Bicycle

Transportation

Network)

Transit Routes Regional

(incld. University Transitway

operated) within 1/2 mile?

Previously Scoped

Project SP's

Project Wise Link to

Recommendations

(MnDOT Internal Access)

Other Bikeway

or Trail

Designation

Within

CAAPB

Boundary?

W Broadway (CSAH 66) 27815 2023-2028 1978 None Hennepin County Minneapolis Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 8 ft 8 ft Sidewalk both sides 8 ft 8 ft None TBD On road, TBD NO

14, 30, 32 NO 2781-432 Link NO

Plymouth Ave N 27796 2023-2028 1978 None Minneapolis Minneapolis Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 8 ft 8ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA Separated Lane

(paint/bollard)

6 ft lane, 4 ft buffer with flex

bollards, one-way directional

lanes, in-street, curb adjacent

Separated Lane

(permanent) Tier 1 Alignment

7 GREEN LINE

BLUE LINE 2781-432 Link NO

East Lyndale Ave N

N 7th St

2023-2028

2023-2028

None

None

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Multi-Modal Bridge

Multi-Modal Bridge

Sidewalk Both Sides

Sidewalk Both Sides

6 ft

8 ft

8 ft

8 ft

Sidewalk both side on east end, north

side only on west end

Sidewalk both sides

NA

NA

NA

NA

-

Conventional Lane

-

6 ft, one-way directional lanes, in-

street, striped off of the curb

widths from 0 - 8 ft

-

Separated Lane

(permanent)

NO

Tier 1 Alignment

7, 22

5, 7, 22

GREEN LINE

BLUE LINE

GREEN LINE

BLUE LINE

2781-432

2781-432

Link

Link

NO

NO

Olson Memorial Highway (TH 55) 27785 2029-2038 1979 None MnDOT Minneapolis Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 8 ft 8 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - -Separated Lane

(permanent) NO 19, 755

GREEN LINE

BLUE LINE 2781-432 Link NO

Glenwood Ave (CSAH 40)

Cedar Lake Trail

Under Crossing

Under Crossing

2023-2028

2023-2028

None

None

Hennepin County

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Multi-Modal Under

Crossing

Ped & Bike Under

Crossing

Sidewalk on both sides of

Glenwood Avenue

Pedestrian Trail and Bike

Trail under bridge

14 ft

(planned)

NA

14 ft

(planned)

NA

Sidewalk both sides

Pedestrian Trail and Bike Trail on both

sides of bridge

8 ft - 11 ft

(planned)

NA

8 ft

(planned)

NA

Conventional Lane

Separated

Trail/Elevated

Sidepath

street, curb adjacent

14 ft, two-way bikeway,

separated by green buffer from

two-way walkway

Buffered bike lane

-

Tier 1 Alignment

Tier 1 Alignment

9, C Line BRT

(planned)

None

GREEN LINE

BLUE LINE

GREEN LINE

BLUE LINE

2781-432

2781-432

Link

Link Regional Trail

NO

NO

Dunwoody Blvd Under Crossing 2023-2038 1968 2016 Minneapolis Minneapolis Multi-Modal Under

Crossing

Sidewalk on both sides of

Dunwoody Blvd NA NA Sidewalk both sides NA NA

Buffered Lane and

Sharrow

6 ft lane, 4 ft buffer, one-way EB

lane. Sharrow WB direction.

Separated Lane

(permanent) NO

4, 6, 12 GREEN LINE 2781-432 Link NO

Irene Hixon Whitney Bridge

Oak Grove/Vineland

Lyndale Ave/Loring Bikeway

Above-Tunnel

Street

Above-Tunnel

Street

Not Rated

Lowry Hill

Tunnel

Multiple Bridges

2023-2038

None

None

None

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Ped & Bike Bridge

Above Tunnel Multi-

Modal Crossing

Above Tunnel Multi-

Modal Crossing

12.5 ft width

Sidewalk Both Sides

Sidewalk and Bike Trail on

East side of Lyndale

Ave/sidewalk on West side

of Hennepin Ave

-

NA

NA

-

NA

NA

Sidewalk both sides

Sidewalk both sides

Trail and Sidewalk on North end of the

East side of Lyndale Ave-Sidewalk only

on South end of East side/Sidewalks

on both sides of the west side of

Hennepin Ave

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

Separated

Trail/Elevated

Sidepath

Conventional Lane

Separated

Trail/Elevated

Sidepath

Two-way Shared Use Path

5 ft, one-way directional lanes, in-

street, curb-adjacent

9 ft, Two-way bikeway, separated

by green buffer from two-way

walkway

-

-

-

NO

NO

Tier 1 Alignment

None

GREEN LINE

GREEN LINE

NO

2781-432

2781-432

2781-432

Link

Link

Link

NO

NO

NO

Groveland Ave 27966 2039-2044 1965 None Minneapolis Minneapolis Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 5 ft 5 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - -NO

None NO 2781-432 Link NO

LaSalle Ave 27836 OPM 1964 None Minneapolis Minneapolis Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 12 ft 12 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA Conventional

Lane/Sharrow Lane or Shoulder? Confirm.

Bicycle Lanes/TBD

Protected Lane

Tier 2 Alignment in

draft TPP None NO 2781-432 Link NO

Nicollet Ave 27837 2023-2028 1966 None Minneapolis Minneapolis Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 8 ft 8ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - - NO 17, 18 NO 2781-468 Link NO

1st Ave 27838 OPM 1965 None Minneapolis Minneapolis Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 8 ft 8 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA Conventional Lane

6 ft, one-way lane along right side

of one-way street (dir. of travel),

striped 4 ft off of curb

Separated Lane

(permanent)

"Sharrow - Consider

Tier 2 Alignment in

draft TPP None NO 2781-468 Link NO

3rd Ave 27v35 OPM 2000 None Minneapolis Minneapolis Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 10 ft 10 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - Lanes when 2, 11 NO 2781-468 Link NO

Portland Ave (CSAH 35)

Park Ave (CSAH 33)

Chicago Ave

2039-2044

2039-2044

OPM

Hennepin County

Hennepin County

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Multi-Modal Bridge

Multi-Modal Bridge

Multi-Modal Bridge

Sidewalk Both Sides

Sidewalk Both Sides

Sidewalk Both Sides

9.8 ft

8 ft

10 ft

9.8 ft

8 ft

10 ft

Sidewalk both sides

Sidewalk both sides

Sidewalk both sides

6 ft

6 ft

NA

6 ft

6 ft

NA

Conventional Lane

Conventional Lane

-

6 ft, one-way lane along right side

striped 5 ft off of curb 6 ft, one-way lane along right side

striped 6 ft off of curb

-

Reconstructing"

Separated Lane

(permanent)

Separated Lane

(permanent)

-

Tier 1 Alignment

Tier 1 Alignment

NO

NO

NO

GREEN LINE

BLUE LINE

2781-468

2781-468

2781-468

Link

Link

Link

NO

NO

NO

11th Ave S

Hiawatha LRT Trail

Cedar Ave

20th Ave S

Augsburg Pedestrian Bridge

25th Ave/26th Ave S

Riverside Ave

Under Crossing

Under Crossing

2023-2028

2023-2028

2029-2038

2023-2028

Not Rated

OPM

2023-2028

None

None

Minneapolis

Hennepin County

Minneapolis

MnDOT

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Minneapolis

Multi-Modal Bridge

Ped & Bike Under

Crossing

Multi-Modal Under

Crossing

Multi-Modal Bridge

Ped & Bike Bridge

Multi-Modal Bridge

Multi-Modal Bridge

Sidewalk Both Sides

Separated Trail under

bridge

Sidewalk Both Sides

Sidewalk Both Sides

Sidewalk Bridge Over

Highway

Sidewalk Both Sides

Sidewalk Both Sides

8 ft

NA

NA

5 ft

-

5 ft

5 ft

8 ft

NA

NA

5 ft

-

5 ft

5 ft

Sidewalk both sides

Separated Trail both sides

Sidewalk both sides

Sidewalk both sides

Sidewalk ramps on both sides

Sidewalk both sides

Sidewalk both sides

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

NA

Buffered Lane

Separated

Trail/Elevated

Sidepath

-

Conventional Lane

Separated

Trail/Elevated

Sidepath

Conventional Lane

Conventional Lane

5 ft lane, 3 ft buffer, one-way

directional, in-street, curb

adjacent

Two-way Shared Use Path

-

street, curb adjacent

Two-way Shared Use Path

street, curb-adjacent

6.5 ft, one-way directional lanes,

in-street, curb-adjacent

-

-

-

Separated Lane

(permanent)

-

-

-

No

Tier 1 Alignment

NO Tier 1 Alignment in

draft TPP

NO

NO

Tier 1 Alignment

Blue Line

None

None

2, 7, 67

2, 7, 67, St

Catherine Univ

Shuttle

GREEN LINE

BLUE LINE

GREEN LINE

BLUE LINE

GREEN LINE

BLUE LINE GREEN LINE

BLUE LINE

GREEN LINE

BLUE LINE

GREEN LINE

BLUE LINE

GREEN LINE

BLUE LINE

2781-468

2781-468

2781-468

2781-468

2781-468

2781-468

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Regional Trail

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

Franklin Terrace Under Crossing 2029-2038 1962 2011 Minneapolis Minneapolis Multi-Modal Under

Crossing

Sidewalk Both Sides under

Bridge NA NA Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - NO None BLUE LINE 2781-468 Link NO

W River Pkwy Under Crossing 2029-2038 1963 1994 Minneapolis Minneapolis Multi-Modal Under

Crossing

Mixed Use Trail under

bridge NA NA Mixed Use Trail both sides NA NA

Separated

Trail/Elevated

Sidepath

10 ft, Two-way bikeway,

delineated by painted line from

adjacent 8 ft. two-way walkway

- Tier 1 Alignment None BLUE LINE 2781-468 Link

Mpls Grand

Rounds;

Regional Trail

NO

E River Pkwy 27981 2039-2044 1994 None Minneapolis Minneapolis Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 16 ft 8 ft Sidewalk north side, trail south side NA NA

Separated

Trail/Elevated

Sidepath

Two-way Shared Use Path - Tier 1 Alignment None GREEN LINE 2781-468 Link

Mpls Grand

Rounds;

Regional Trail

NO

27th Ave SE (CSAH 5) 27856 OPM 1994 2011 Hennepin County Minneapolis Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 6 ft 6 ft Sidewalk both sides 6 ft 6 ft Conventional Lane

street, striped ~7ft off of the curb

face on each side of the bridge

Separated Lane

(permanent) Tier 1 Alignment None GREEN LINE 2781-468 Link NO

Future Prospect Park Trail (RR) 27956 Not Rated 1966 None Minneapolis Minneapolis Railroad 20.8 ft width - - NA NA - -Separated Trail/Elevated

Sidepath

Tier 2 Corridor in

draft TPP None GREEN LINE 2781-468 Link NO

Franklin Ave SE 27957 2039-2044 1965 None Minneapolis Minneapolis Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 8 ft 8 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA Conventional Lane

street, striped 2 ft (north) and 8ft

(south) off of the curb to set

alignment for striping to the east

- NO 67 GREEN LINE 2781-468 Link NO

Seymour Pedestrian Bridge 27958 Not Rated 1967 None MnDOT Minneapolis Ped & Bike Bridge 9.5 ft width - - Sidewalk both sides NA NA

Separated

Trail/Elevated

Sidepath

Two-way Shared Use Path - stairs

at south side require dismount

and walking of bicycle using wheel

rail along stairs. Inaccessible for

peds and other cycle types.

- NO None GREEN LINE 2781-468 Link NO

* OPM = Only Preventative Maintenance

NA = Data not readily available; field inventory may be required.

Page 21: T12: Non-Motorized Crossings Analysis...NON-MOTORIZED CROSSINGS ANALYSIS Introduction The original construction of I-94 severed a regularly spaced grid of pedestrian scale streets

Rethinking I-94 Crossing Inventory (as of 5-22-2018)

EXISTING PEDESTRIAN AND BICYCLE FACILITIES PLANNED BICYCLE FACILITIES OTHER CROSSING INFORMATION TRANSIT MnDOT ADA INFORMATION

DESIGNATIONS Crossing Pedestrian Facilities Approaching Pedestrian Facilities Bikeway Facilities City/County Met Council Met Council RBTN

Project Wise Link to BRIM Status* Transit Routes Regional Other Bikeway Within MnDOT Bridge Year Year Roadway Crossing Pedestrian Right Left Right (Regional Bicycle Previously Scoped

RecommendationsCrossing/Street Name (next planned City Crossing Type Left Width Approaching Pedestrian Facilities Bikeway Facility Dimensions, Description Locally Planned Bikeways (incld. University Transitway or Trail CAAPB Number(s) Built Remodeled Jurisdiction Facilities Width Width(s) Width(s) Transportation Project SP's

(MnDOT Internal Access) project) operated) within 1/2 mile? Designation Boundary? Network)

1x ft(?), Two-way, flex bollard Separated Lane Separated Trail/Elevated 6282-212 / 6282- Link (- St Paul Grand

Pelham Blvd 62813 2022-2027 1965 2015 St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 5 ft 1.5 ft Sidewalk west side NA NA separated, in-street, curb Tier 1 Alignment none GREEN LINE Link (-212) NO (paint/bollard) Sidepath 231 231) Rounds

adjacent, along east side of bridge

63, 134, St. 6282-212 / 6282- Link (-Cretin/Vandalia 9452 2029-2038 1968 2015 St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 5 ft 1.5 ft Sidewalk east side NA NA - - - NO GREEN LINE Link (-212) NO

Thomas Shuttle 231 231) 7 ft lane, 4 ft buffer, one-way

6282-212 / 6282- Link (-Cleveland Ave N 9457 OPM 1966 2015 St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 5 ft 5 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA Buffered Lane - NO 87 GREEN LINE Link (-212) NOdirectional, in-street, curb

231 231)adjacent 6 ft, one-way directional lanes, in- 6282-212 / 6282- Link (-

Prior Ave N 62845 OPM 1966 None St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 10 ft 10 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA Conventional Lane - NO None GREEN LINE Link (-212) NO street, curb adjacent 231 231)

Multi-Modal Under Sidewalk Both Sides under 6282-212 / 6282- Link (-Fairview Ave N Under Crossing 2023-2028 1967 2016 St. Paul St. Paul 6 ft 6 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - - Tier 1 Alignment None GREEN LINE Link (-212) NO

Crossing Bridge 231 231) Separated

6282-212 / 6282- Link (-Aldine Pedestrian Bridge 62849 Not Rated 1966 None MnDOT St. Paul Ped & Bike Bridge 9.5 ft width - - Sidewalk both sides NA NA Two-way Shared Use Path - NO None GREEN LINE Link (-212) NOTrail/Elevated

231 231)Sidepath

6282-212 / 6282- Link (-Snelling Ave 9377 2039-2033 1962 2015 MnDOT St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 8 ft 8 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - - NO 21, 53, 84, A Line GREEN LINE Link (-212) NO

231 231) Sidewalk both sides-North end/west 6282-212 / 6282- Link (-

Pascal St N 9379 2023-2028 1964 2015 St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 5 ft 5 ft NA NA - - Bicycle Lanes Tier 1 Corridor 21 GREEN LINE Link (-212) NO side only south end 231 231)

6282-212 / 6282- Link (-Hamline Ave N 9381 2029-2038 1964 None St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 5 ft 5 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - Bicycle Lanes Tier 1 Corridor 21 GREEN LINE Link (-212) NO

231 231) Separated

Tier 1 Corridor 6282-212 / 6282- Link (-N Griggs St Pedestrian Bridge 62809 Not Rated 2009 None MnDOT St. Paul Ped & Bike Bridge 14.3 ft width - - Sidewalk both sides NA NA Two-way Shared Use Path - None GREEN LINE Link (-212) NOTrail/Elevated

(w/in 1/4-mile) 231 231)Sidepath

6282-212 / 6282- Link (-Lexington Pkwy 9383 2029/2038 1961 2015 Ramsey County St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 10 ft 10 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - - NO 83 GREEN LINE Link (-212) NO

231 231) Separated

6282-212 / 6282- Link (-N Chatsworth St Pedestrian Bridge 9736 Not Rated 2010 None MnDOT St. Paul Ped & Bike Bridge 14.3 ft width - - Sidewalk both sides NA NA Two-way Shared Use Path - NO None GREEN LINE Link (-212) NOTrail/Elevated

231 231)Sidepath

6282-212 / 6282- Link (-N Victoria St 9663 2029-2038 1961 2015 St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 5 ft 5 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - - NO None GREEN LINE Link (-212) NO

231 231) Separated

6282-212 / 6282- Link (-Grotto St N Pedestrian Bridge 9773 Not Rated 2016 None MnDOT St. Paul Ped & Bike Bridge 12 ft width - - Sidewalk both sides NA NA Two-way Shared Use Path - Tier 2 Alignment None GREEN LINE Link (-212) NOTrail/Elevated

231 231)Sidepath

6282-212 / 6282- Link (-Dale St N 9387 2023-2028 1961 None Ramsey County St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 5 ft 5 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - - NO 65 GREEN LINE Link (-212) NO

231 231) Separated

6282-212 / 6282- Link (-N Mackubin St Pedestrian Bridge 9737 Not Rated 2016 None MnDOT St. Paul Ped & Bike Bridge 14.3 ft width - - Sidewalk both sides NA NA Two-way Shared Use Path - NO None GREEN LINE Link (-212) NOTrail/Elevated

231 231)Sidepath

6 ft lane, 3 ft buffer, one-way

directional lanes, in-street, west Western Ave N 62877 OPM 1991 None St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 8 ft 8 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA Buffered Lane - Tier 2 Alignment None GREEN LINE 6283-247 Link NO

side curb adjacent, east side

striped 8 ft offset from curb

Marion St 62878 2023-2028 1991 None St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk West Side ONLY - 10 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - - NO 16 GREEN LINE 6283-247 Link Yes

9631-Sidewalk West Side Tier 1 Alignment in 7 ft, one-way directional lanes, in-

John Ireland Blvd 9631/9632 2023-2028 1966 None St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge ONLY 9632- 10 ft 10 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA Conventional Lane - draft TPP 16 GREEN LINE 6283-247 Link Yes street, curb adjacent

Sidewalk East Side ONLY

Tier 1 Alignment in Sidewalk both sides-South Separated Trail/Elevated St. Paul Capital

St. Peter St 62897 OPM 1989 None St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk East Side ONLY - 10 ft NA NA - - 3, 16, 62, 67, 262 GREEN LINE 6283-247 Link Yes draft TPP end/sidewalk east side-North end Sidepath City Bikeway

355, 365, 375, Wabasha St N 62888 2022-2027 1965 1989 St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 12 ft 12 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - Bicycle Lanes Tier 1 Corridor GREEN LINE 6283-247 Link

Cedar St 62889 2022-2027 1965 1989 St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 14.5 ft 14.5 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - - Tier 1 Corridor Green Line GREEN LINE 6283-247 Link Yes

Minnesota St 62891 2022-2027 1965 1989 St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 10 ft 10 ft NO Sidewalk access either side NA NA - - - Tier 1 Corridor None GREEN LINE 6283-247 Link Yes

Sidewalk east side-North End/both 355, 365, 375, Robert St N 62894 2029-2038 1965 1989 MnDOT St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 10 ft 10 ft NA NA - - - Tier 1 Corridor GREEN LINE 6283-247 Link Yes

sides-South end 452 Tier 1 Alignment in

Separated Lane 10 ft, Two-way, in-street, curb Separated Trail/Elevated 355, 365, 375, St. Paul Capital Jackson St 62893 2029-2038 1965 1989 St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 10 ft 10 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA GREEN LINE 6283-247 Link Yes draft TPP

(paint/bollard) adjacent along west side of bridge Sidepath 452 City Bikeway

Separated Trail/Elevated 9th St SE 62702 OPM 1990 None St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk East Side ONLY - 10 ft Sidewalk east Side NA NA - - Tier 1 Corridor 265, 275 GREEN LINE 6283-247 Link NO

Sidepath Sidewalk both sides-West 53, 61, 64, 75,

E 7th St 62703 2023-2028 1987 None MnDOT St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk West SideONLY - 8.8 ft NA NA - - Corridor for Addt'l Study Tier 1 Corridor GOLD LINE 6283-247 Link NO end/sidewalk north side-East end 860

Separated Ped & Bike Under Mixed Use Trail under

12 ft Trout Brook Regional Trail Under Crossing OPM 1967 None Ramsey County St. Paul Mixed Use Trail both sides NA NA Two-way Shared Use Path - Tier 1 Alignment GOLD LINE Regional Trail NOTrail/Elevated Crossing bridge

Sidepath Separated

Ped & Bike Under Mixed Use Trail under 12 ft Bruce Vento Trail Under Crossing OPM 1967 None Ramsey County Mixed Use Trail both sides NA NA Two-way Shared Use Path - Tier 1 Alignment GOLD LINE Regional Trail NOTrail/Elevated

Crossing bridge Sidepath

63, 70, 294, 350, Separated Trail/Elevated

Kellogg Blvd 62080A 2023-2028 1982 None St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides - 10.3 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA None (Confirm) - NO GOLD LINE 6283-247 Link NO351, 353, 361, Sidepath

364 70, 294, 350,

Mounds Blvd 62706 2029-2038 1987 2016 MnDOT St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk West Side ONLY - 8 ft Sidewalk west side NA NA - - - NO GOLD LINE 6283-247 Link NO 351, 361, 364

Separated

Maple St Pedestrian Bridge 62868 Not Rated 1973 None MnDOT St. Paul Ped & Bike Bridge 9.5 ft width - - Sidewalk both sides NA NA Two-way Shared Use Path - NO None GOLD LINE 6283-247 Link NO

Sidepath No ADA work

Trail/Elevated

Earl St 62861 2039-2044 1973 None St. Paul St. Paul Multi-Modal Bridge Sidewalk Both Sides 8 ft 8 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - Enhanced Shared Lane NO None GOLD LINE NO Programmed

Multi-Modal Under Separated Trail/Elevated St Paul Grd Johnson Pkwy Under Crossing 2039-2044 1973 None St. Paul St. Paul Sidewalk Both Sides 8 ft 8 ft Sidewalk both sides NA NA - - Tier 1 Alignment none GOLD LINE 6283-247 Link NO

Crossing Sidepath Rounds

* OPM = Only Preventative Maintenance

NA = Data not readily available; field inventory may be required.