t2 b4 team 2 interview plan fdr- entire contents- memos and draft lists re interviews 560

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T2 B4 Team 2 Interview Plan Fdr- Entire Contents- Memos and Draft Lists Re Interviews 560

1/20

• 8/14/2019 T2 B4 Team 2 Interview Plan Fdr- Entire Contents- Memos and Draft Lists Re Interviews 560

2/20

Mail:: INBOX: Draft List of Non-Government Interviews9/11 Personal Pr ivacy

Page 1 of 3

INBOX Compose iPQlders Options Search Problem? Help Addressbook Tasks Memos Calendar Logout Open Folder

":;;.. 42.14MB/476.84MB (8.84%)INBOX: Draft List of toon-Government Move i copy lltlillT.??.?.?.??.!0 IInterviews (5 of 80) CisDelete I Reply I Reply .to All I Forward I Redirect I Blacklist [.Message Source I Resume I Save as I Print Back to INBOX ^ P

Date: Tue. 01 Jul 20Q3 09:07:44 -0400 .. vFrom: Bruce Berkowitzf fr ' " - . ._ '""-...

[TL

To: "Scheid, Kevin" ^, "Scheid, Kevih'iCc: "Lederman, Gordon" ^, "Salvetti, Lloyd (home)"!"Fenner, Lorry" ^

Subject: Draft List of Non-Government InterviewsKevin: Here is a list of 16 people not currently in government that Iwould propose interviewing in the near future.Regards, B

12 Unknown Document application/msword 42.48 KB

9/11 Closed by Statute

2. David Cohen .. .Position: Deputy Director for Operations 1996-6; previously Dl analyst; currently NYC Deputy Mayor

Interview topics: CIA policy for training and development of HUMINT personnel; policy, strategy, and rules on recruitment ofHUMINT assets.3. John DeutchPosition: Deputy Secretary of Defense 1994-5, Director of Central Intelligence 1995-6; currently Institute Professor at MITInterview topics: Development and rationale for PD-35; state of CIA analysis and plans for development; CIA policies onrecruitment of assets; general strategic planning for the terrorist threat in the mid-1990s.

9/11 Closed by Statute

5. Robert Gates -VPosition: Director of Central Intelligence, 1992-3; previously various NSC and CIA assignments; currently Dean of theGeorge Bush School at Texas A&M University

http://kinesis.swishmail.com/webmai I/imp/message.php?index=672 7/1/03

3/20

Mail: : INBOX: Draft List of Non-Government Interviews :' Page 2 of 3

Interview topics: Strategic decisions taken during tenure as DCI affecting manpower and other resources; recommendationsprovided to George W. Bush campaign and transition

9/11 Closed by Statute

7. David Jeremiah

Position: Various Navy and DOD positions, including Vice Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, 1991-4; currently President ofTechnology Strategies & Alliances CorporationInterview topics: Findings and recommendations of the Jeremiah Commission investigating U.S. intelligence prior to the1998 Indian and Pakistani nuclear tests

9/11 Closed by Statute

9. Richard Kerr

Position: Deputy Director of Central Intelligence 1989-92; Acting Director of Central Intelligence 1991; currently Trustee,Mitre Corporation

Interview topics: Strategic decisions taken during tenure as Deputy Director of Central Intelligence affecting intelligencecapabilities against terrorist threats

10. Robert Kerrey

Position: Member, Senate Select Committee on Intelligence 1990-6, Vice Chairman, 1995-64v-.-Interview topics: Effectiveness of congressional oversight and recommendations for improvements; major intelligence issuesof concern to Congress during his tenure

9/11 Closed by Statute

12. Ted Price

Position: Associate Deputy Director for Operations 1991-2; Deputy Director for Operations, 1992-4; currently Director ofCorporate Security for Lehman Brothers

http://kinesis,swishmail.com/webmail/imp/message.php?index=672 7/1/03

4/20

Mail :: INBOX:Draft List of Non-Government Interviews Page 3 of 3

Interview topics: CIA policy for training and development of HUMINT personnel; policy, strategy, and rules on recruitment ofHUMINT assets.

13. NoraSlatkln "'''''Postion: CIA Executive Director 1 995-6; currently executive at Citibank)interview topics: Development and rationale for PD-35; state of CIA analysis and plans for development; CIA policies onrecruitment of assets; general strategic planning for the terrorist threat in the mid-1990s.14. Jeffrey SmithPosition: General Counsel 1994-6; currently Partner, Arnold & PorterInterview topics: CIA 'scrub" of HUMINT assets in the mid-1990s; subsequent rules on recruitment15. William StudemanPosition: Deputy Director of Central Intelligence 1 992-5; Acting Director of Central Intelligence 1 995-6; currently executive atTRWInterview topics: Strategic decision taken during tenure as Deputy Director of Central' Intelligence affecting manpower andother resources16. R. James WoolseyPosition: Director of Central Intelligence, 1 993-4; currently executive at Booz AllenInterview topics: CIA planning and budgets in the early 1990s, especially as relevant to terrorism14Delete I Reply I Reply to All I Forward I Redirect I Blacklist I Message Source I Resume I Save as I Print Back to INBOX "^ ^

Move I Copy |s message to

http://kinesis.swishmail.com/webmail/imp/message.php?index=672 7/1/03

5/20

Interview Request: Non-GovernmentAnalysis and 1C Management

9/11 Closed by Statute Mr. Richard Kerr: Former Deputy Director of Central Intelligence Adm. Wil liam Studeman: Former Deputy Director of Central Intelligence Adm. David Jeremiah: Former Vice Chief of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

/ I Dr. Wi lliam Schneider: Former Defense and OMB policy official/ Amb. Stapleton Roy: Former Director, Bureau Intelligence and Research\ Mr. Stan ley Feeder: Former DI Analyst\ Mr. rU4fic< Guu^ Collection. HUMINT and SIGINT ' ^ S I 0 / M ' /

Mr. Ted Price: Former CIA Deputy Director of OperationMr. David Cohen: FormerCIA Dep uty Director of Operations

9/11 Closed by Statute9/11 Closed by Statute

9/11 Closed by Statute

Congressional Oversight and 1C ManagementiMan

Mr. Jeffrey Smith: Former CIA General Counsel9/11 Closed by Sta tu te I

Mr. Mike O'Neill: Former CIA General CounselSenato r Robert Kerrey: Former SSCI Vice ChairSenator Warren Rudman: Former Chairman PFIAfJ,/Mr. Nick Rostow : Former Chief Counsel, National .Security Counci l (NY C)Mr. Britt Snider: Former CIA Inspector General, ,$SCI Chief CounselMr. Art Grant: Former SSCI Staff, Deputy Staff Director, NRO Commission

9/11 Closed by Statute

6/20

IT

(D

fe l y / . j. i *-* ~~ u"r"""0' ' ~~"~~ *' i~'* j* - -----"--""-- ' " ~~"*A U/b/7"

9/11 Closed by Statute

!?

9/11 Closed by Sta tute l

9/11 Closed by Statute

7/20

TO: Adam CiongoliDepartment of JusticeTHROU GH: Dan MarcusFROM: Kevin ScheidSUBJECT: Briefings and Interviews Regarding CIA

Please arrange the briefings and interviews set forth below. Please notethat the Commission may supplement this list, as well as request documents andother ma terials, in the future. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.I. Background Briefings.

Please arrange background briefings on the following topics in order toorient the Commission's staff by the end of May 2003.A. Com mun ity Managem ent: The organizations that performIntelligence Community coordination (intelligence policyformulation, collection [National Intelligence Collection Board],analysis [National Intelligence Production Board], budge t,financial oversight, legal review, Congressional affairs, andinspector general responsibilities).B. The Intelligence Priorities Process. The process by which theIntelligence Community establishes priorities.C. The Budge t Process: The process by which the IntelligenceCommunity formulates its budget.D. General Counsel: Statutes, Executive Orders, and regulationsgoverning the Intelligence Com mu nity's structure and operations.E. Central Intelligence Agency.

The Directorate of Operations: Its organizational structure andprocesses, and the tradecraft of HUMENT.

The Directorate of Intelligence: Its organizational structureand process, and the tradecraft of analysis. The Terrorist Threat Integration Center: Its organizational

structure and processes. The Counterterrorist Center: Its origins, organizationalstructure, and operations.10.C.

8/20

n. Interviews.Please arrange for Commission staff to interview the following individualsat the CIA as soon as possible. These inte rview s will be conducted in accordancewith the [FELL IN], 2003 agreement between the Commission and the CIA.

Please note that the Com mission i ntends to inte rview additional CIA personneland may wish to interview the following ind ividu als more than once.A. Com munity Leadership.

1. John McLaughlin2. Joan Dempsey3. Charlie Allen4. Mark Lowenthal5. Larry KindsvaterB. Nation al Intelligence Coun cil.

1. Stuart Cohen2. Paul Pillar3. John HelgersonC. CIA Management.

1. Buzzy Krongard2. John Moseman3. J imPavitt4. Pat Hanback5. Jamie Misik6. Stan MoscowitzD. Counterterrorism M anagemen t and Analysis.

Fred TurcoWinston WileyJohn Brennan1 19/11 Closed by Sta tu te1 1Patty Kindsvater9/11 Closed by Sta tu te^^^^^^ 1

9/11 cl osed bY Statute\_eniraj intelligence Agency

9/20

TO : MelissaFROM: Kev in and GordonDATE: May 14, 2003RE: Interviews With Retired OfficialsPlease c ontact the following individuals to arrange interview s by Comm ission staff. Fo rindividuals in the Washington, DC metropolitan area, interviews will take place at the KStreet location. Please allot two ho urs for each interview .I. Former CIA Officials.

1. MiltBearden2. 9/11 Closed by Statute4. Jack D ow ning (Gordon has his address)5. John McM ahon (Gordon has his address)fi 9/11 Closed by Statutev* ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^J7. Dewey Claridge8. Ted Price9. Paul Pillar10. Lloyd Salvetti11. Dewey Claridge

n. Former NSC Officials.1. Nick Rostow2. General W ayne Do wn ing (ret.)3. Randy Beers4. Richard Clarke, Council on Foreign Relations5. Mary McC arthy6. Linda Flohr[WORK WITH TEAM 3]

m. Former DQJ Officials.[WORK WITH TEAM 6]IV. Former POD Officials.

1. John Hamre2. Art Money3. SOLIC?4. DIA?V. Former State Department Officials.

1. Chris Kojm2. IN RVI. Former NS A Officials.

10/20

Vn. Other Former Executive Branch Officials.VHI. Former Members of Congress and Congressional Staffers.

11/20

TO : Adam CiongoliDepartment of JusticeTHROUGH: Dan MarcusFROM : Kevin ScheidSUBJECT: Briefings and Interviews Regarding The National Security Agency

Please arrange the briefings and interviews set forth below. Please notethat the Commission may supplement this list, as well as request documents andother materials, in the future. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.I. Background Briefings.

Please arrange background briefings on the following topics in order toorient the Commission's staff by the end of May 2003.

JJ. Interviews.Please arrange for Commission staff to interview the following individualsat NS A as soon as possible. [These interview s will be conducted in accordancewith the [FILL IN], 2003 agreement between the Commission and NSA.] Pleasenote that the Commission intends to interview additional NSA personnel and maywish to interview the following individu als more than once.

CC: [POC]National Security Agency

12/20

TO: Adam CiongoliDepartment of JusticeTHROUG H: Dan MarcusFROM : Kevin ScheidSUB JECT: Briefings and Interviews Regarding the NSC Staff

Please arrange the briefings and interviews set forth below. Please notethat the Commission may supp lement this list, as well as request documents andother materials, in the future. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.I. Background Briefings.

Please arrange background briefings on the following topics in order toorient the Commission's staff by the end of May 2003.

n. Interviews.Please arrange for Commission staff to interview the following individualsat the CIA as soon as possible. [These interviews will be conducted inaccordance with the [FILL IN ], 2003 agreement between the Comm ission and theNSC.] Please note that the Commission intends to interview additional NSC

personnel and may wish to interview the following individuals m ore than once.

CC: [POC]National Security Council

13/20

TO: Adam CiongoliDepartment of JusticeTHROUGH: Dan MarcusFROM: Kevin ScheidSUBJECT: Briefings and Interviews Regarding The State Department

Please arrange the briefings and interviews set forth below. Please notethat the Commission may supplement this list, as well as request documents andother materials, in the future. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.I. Background Briefings.

Please arrange background briefings on the following topics in order toorient the C ommission's staff by the end of May 2003.

n. Interviews.Please arrange for Commission staff to interview the following individualsat the State Department as soon as possible. [These interviews will be conductedin accordance with the [FILL IN], 2003 agreement between the Commission andthe State Department.] Please note that the Commission intends to interviewadditional State Department personnel and may w ish to interview the following

individuals more than once.1. Richard Armitage2. Lincoln Bloomfield

CC: [POC]Department of State

14/20

TO: Adam CiongoliDepartm ent of JusticeTHROUG H: Dan MarcusFROM : Kevin ScheidSUBJECT: Briefings and Interviews Regarding The Department Of Justice

Please arrange the briefings and interviews set forth below. Please notethat the Commission may supp lement this list, as well as request documents andother materials, in the future. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.I. Background Briefings.

II. Interviews.Please arrange for Commission staff to interview the following individualsat the Departm ent of Justice as soon as possible. [These interv iews will beconducted in accordance with the [FILL IN], 2003 agreement between theComm ission and the Department of Justice.] Please note that the C ommissionintends to interview additional Department of Justice personnel and may wish to

interview the following individuals more than once.

[CC: POC, if different from CiongoliDepartment of Justice]

15/20

TO: Adam CiongoliDepartment of JusticeTHROUG H: Dan MarcusFROM: Kevin ScheidSUBJECT: Briefings and Interviews Regarding The Department Of Defense

n. Interviews.Please arrange for Commission staff to interview the following individualsat the Department of Defense as soon as possible. These interviews will beconducted in accordance w ith the [FILL IN], 2003 agreement between theComm ission and the Department of Defense. Please note that the Comm ission

intends to interview additional Department of Defense personnel and may wish tointerview the following individuals more than once.1. Stephen Cambone2. Richard Haver3. John Stenbit

CC: [POC]Department of Defense

16/20

TO : [Majority Staff Director], Majority Staff Director[Minority Staff Director], Minority Staff DirectorSenate Select Committee on IntelligenceTHROU GH: Dan MarcusFROM: Kevin ScheidSUBJEC T: Briefings and Interviews Regarding The SSCI

Please arrange the briefings and interviews set forth below. Please notethat the Comm ission may supplement this list, as well as request documen ts andother ma terials, in the future. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.I. Background Briefings.

Please arrange background briefings on the following topics in order toorient the Com mission's staff by the end of May 2003.

n. Interviews.Please arrange for Commission staff to interview the following individualsat the SSCI as soon as possible. These interviews will be conducted inaccordance with the [FILL IN], 2003 agreement between the Commission and the

Department of Defense. Please note that the Com mission intend s to interviewadditional D epartment of Defense personnel and may wish to interview thefollowing individuals more than once.

17/20

TO: [Majority Staff Director], Majority Staff Director[Minority Staff Director], Minority Staff DirectorHouse Permanent Select Committee on IntelligenceTHROUGH: Dan MarcusFROM : Kevin ScheidSUBJECT: Briefings and Interviews Regarding The Department Of Defense

Please arrange background briefings on the following topics in order toorient the Comm ission's staff by the end of May 2003.

n. Interviews.Please arrange for Commission staff to interview the following individualsat the Department of Defense as soon as possible. These interviews will beconducted in accordance with the [FILL IN], 2003 agreement between the

Commission and the Department of Defense. Please note that the Commissionintends to interview additional Department of Defense personnel and may wish tointerview the following individuals more than once.

CC: [POC]Department of Defense

18/20

TO: Adam CiongoliDepartment of JusticeTHROU GH: Dan MarcusFROM: Kevin ScheidSUB JECT: Briefings and Interviews Regarding The Department Of Hom elandSecurity

Please arrange the briefings and interviews set forth below. Please notethat the Commission may supplement this list, as well as request documents andother materials, in the future. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.I. Background B riefings.

n. Interviews.Please arrange for Commission staff to interview the follow ing individualsat the Department of Hom eland Security as soon as possible. [These interviews

will be conducted in accordance with the [FILL IN], 2003 agreement between theCommission and the Department of Homeland Security.] Please note that theComm ission intends to interview additional Department of Defense personnel andmay wish to interview the following individuals more than once.

CC: [POC]Department of Homeland Security

19/20

MASTER LIST OF INTERVIEWS( l ) C I A

A. Community Leadership.1. John McLaughlin2. Joan Dempsey3. Charlie Allen4. Mark Lowenthal5. Larry Kindsvater

B.

D.

E.

National Intelligence Council.1. Stuart Cohen2. Paul Pillar3. John HelgersonCIA Management.1. Buzzy Krongard2. John Moseman3. Jim Pavitt4. Pat Hanback5. Jamie Misik6. Stan Moscow itzCounterterrorism Management and1. FredTurco2. Winston Wiley3. JohnBrennan4 1 19/11 Closed by Sta tute5. 1 16. Patty Kindsvater7. 9/11 Closed by Statute 1

Former CJA OfficialsI. Milt Bearden

9/11 Closed

Analysis.

by Sta tute4. Jack Do wn ing (Gordon has his address)5. John McMahon (Gordon has his address)6. 9/11 Closed by Statute7. Dewey Claridge8. Ted Price9. Paul Pillar10. Lloyd Salvetti

20/20

11. Dewey Claridge(2) NSA(3) NSC

A. Former NSC Official1. Nick Rostow2. General Wayne Dow ning (ret.)3. Rand y Beers4. Richard Clarke, Council on Foreign Relations5. Mary McC arthy6. Linda Flohr

(4) DODA. Former DOD Officials

1. JohnHamre2. Art Money3. SOLIC?4. DIA?(5) DHS(6) State(7) Congress