WHERE DOES NETWORKING HAPPEN?

Page 6: T7 Networking

CHANCE MEETINGS

Page 7: T7 Networking

FACILITATED EVENTS

Page 8: T7 Networking

VIA DIRECT REQUEST

Page 9: T7 Networking

WHY WE NETWORK Get your foot in the door faster Gain insight about a company, industry, or career path Practice your interview and networking skills Find a potential mentor Show them who you are beyond your resume and cover letter

Page 10: T7 Networking

INFORMATIONAL INTERVIEW ASSIGNMENT1. Contact details: name, company, title, phone, email2. List of questions asked3. Major insights gained – what did you learn during your

informational interview this is most important, should be 40% of final paper

4. Did you request/receive any information regarding additional connections?

5. Follow up action – what will you do to maintain this connection screen shot of thank you email required

6. What are your next steps having conducted this informational interview?

Page 11: T7 Networking

INFORMATIONAL INTERVIEW ASSIGNMENT Due Friday December 2nd Minimum of one page In-person and NOT a current UBC student/staff/faculty or family member Look at potential questions on the course blog

Page 12: T7 Networking

HOW TO LAND AN INFORMATIONAL INTERVIEW

Page 13: T7 Networking

STEPS TO LAND AN INFORMATIONAL INTERVIEW1. Find 4 or 5 potential contacts2. Research them (Google, LinkedIn) and reach out to contacts you have

in common3. Decide on what you want to talk to them about and brainstorm

questions and points of commonality4. Send out your invites! Don’t be offended if they don’t immediately

Page 14: T7 Networking

INFORMATIONAL INTERVIEW TIMELINEWeek 9 Week

10Week

11Week

12Week

13• Determine

info interview candidates

• Compose and send 1st round email

• Compose and send 2nd round email

• Have interview date/time confirmed

• Brainstorm questions for the interview

• Info interview assignment due Dec 2nd @ 11:59 PM

Any questions?

Page 15: T7 Networking

THE COMM 202 NETWORKING EVENT

Page 16: T7 Networking

YOUR VERY OWN NETWORKING EVENT!WHO: Alumni, senior students, local professionals, and YOU!WHAT: An evening of networking with this semester’s COMM 202

studentsWHEN: Thursday, November 3rd from 6-8 pmWHERE: CPA HallWHY: Opportunity to practice and refine your networking skills and learn

more about how to make the most of your time at Sauder!

Page 17: T7 Networking

NETWORKING REFLECTION Your goals in attending the event (what was your purpose going into the

event, define SMART goals beforehand) How did you research the contacts before the event? What was it about these people that motivated you to want to talk to them? A brief summary of who you spoke to and what you learned in the

conversations A reflection on the lessons you have learned about the networking process The next steps you will take to continue building relationships with your new

contacts (if you plan to)

10% of your

grade

Page 18: T7 Networking

RESEARCHING DELEGATES Check out the delegate info on the course blog Skim the LinkedIn profiles of delegates you’d like to speak to Note any interesting topics Hone in on similar experiences or shared groups Think about insightful and unique questions to ask

Page 19: T7 Networking
Page 20: T7 Networking

LOOK GOODFEEL GOOD

(AND DRESS BUSINESS CASUAL)

Page 21: T7 Networking

HOW TO CRUSH IT

Web-to-Web Eye colour Comfy shoes

Nametag on right Smile!

Page 22: T7 Networking

ASSESSING THE ROOM Look for singles and doubles You want to be memorable –

the less people in your circle, the easier that becomes!

Page 23: T7 Networking

THE APPROACHAvoiding the awkward… Don’t interrupt – when joining a networking circle, wait

for a lull in the conversation Never have food and a drink: you need a free hand to

shake! Go with a wingman, but never a Siamese twin

Page 24: T7 Networking

KEEP IT SIMPLE Just simply say hi! Show you’re interested in talking to them Start the conversation: ask a question/have them talk about

themselves/stay positive Have fun! They’re just humans

Page 25: T7 Networking

CONTINUING THE CONVERSATIONLISTEN Be careful not to monopolize peoples’ time Listen for facts, feelings, free information and implied statements Introduce others, typing them into the conversation Identify commonalities

Page 26: T7 Networking

EXITING THE RIGHT WAY Spend 5 to 10 minutes with one person then wait for a lull Excuse yourself kindly and assertively:

“It was nice to meet you” “I’m glad you were here today; it’s been great chatting with you!

Thanks for your time” ”I don’t want to take up all your time. Thank you for taking the time

to speak with me and I hope you enjoy the rest of the event.” Shake hands and exchange cards or ask to connect (if the

conversation was meaningful

Page 27: T7 Networking

DON’T FORGET TO FOLLOW UP After great conversations, send a personalized email or LinkedIn request

(or maybe an informational interview request!) within 24 hoursHi Kinsey,It was so great to get the chance to speak with you at last night’s networking event. I was really inspired by what you said about “building your personal brand,” and I’m looking forward to putting your advice into practice. I would love to continue our conversation about your experience at RBC. I know you’re very busy, but it would be great to meet for 20 minutes. Would you be available to meet on Monday or Tuesday next week? Let me know, and coffee’s on me!Thank you,Sarah Moug

Page 28: T7 Networking

WHAT IT’LL LOOK LIKE

Page 29: T7 Networking

COMMON PET PEEVES Asking questions and not listening to the answer Asking rapid-fire questions so no one else can speak When a person’s outfit is distractingly unprofessional When students only talk about their option choices or career

path! Try connecting over a common interest beyond work and school

Page 30: T7 Networking

PRO TIPS Eat dinner beforehand Do some research on the delegates, but don’t

get consumed in stalking every LinkedIn profile Dress classy and comfortably Have a few interesting questions/topics to chat

about When all else fails, find a 202 TA and we’ll help

you join a circle Head to an area that is less packed Manage your energy – take a breather if you

need Sign in to get your marks! Bring your student

card to the student registration area

Page 31: T7 Networking

QUESTIONS?

Page 32: T7 Networking

ACTION ITEMSNetworking Event on November 3rd 6 – 8 pm

Networking Reflection due Tuesday November 8th @ 11:59 on Turnitin

Next week: Lecture!