the accessible web: improving the universal experience
out of 24
Post on 22-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresentation on Web and document accessibility presented to the National Endowment for the Arts' LEAD conference, August 2014.
- The Accessible Web Improving the universal experience
- What is web accessibility? None of these should be required on a website: Keyboards Mice Monitors Desktop computers
- Interface Independence The essence of web accessibility: content is not dependent on the tools used to access it.
- Section 504: Equal Opportunities If your web site: Is part of your programs or services Provides information on programs or services Shares documents required to register for or get information about your programs Then youre subject to 504.
- Section 504: Equal Opportunities Under Section 504: you must provide alternate formats of information you share. The ideal web site minimizes the need to create alternate formats: one web site with universal access.
- Principles of Accessibility Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/ Perceivable Operable Understandable Robust
- What does that mean? Web accessibility is for everything on the web: Web sites PDFs .doc, .ppt, .xls, .everything else
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility Keyboard Accessibility Unplug your mouse. Hit the tab key Can you navigate to every link? Can you tell where you are?
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility Keyboard Accessibility Compare these two sites: http://themes.joedolson.com/universal/ http://themes.joedolson.com/iatc/
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility Form Labeling Has a profound impact on web site users Is extremely easy to detect.
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility Form Labeling Example: Bad News
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility Form Labeling Example: Good News!
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility Form Labeling Compare these two sites: http://dev.joedolson.com/form-bad.html http://dev.joedolson.com/form-good.html
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility Alternative Text Disable Images Is any information missing? Whats gone with images disabled? Is this an equal experience for the user?
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/image- block/ http://www.girlandthegoat.com/
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility Inclusive Content It doesnt matter how accessible your site is if you dont have accessible content.
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility Inclusive Content Accessible text content Accessible PDFs Accessible Audio and Video
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility Accessible Text Content Scannable: Use headings and bullet points. Avoid directional text: where is left in a screen reader? Use meaningful link text: what does Click here mean?
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility Accessible PDFs The source document must be accessible o Alternative text for images o Use heading structures - dont just change fonts and sizes o Export to PDF, dont just print to PDF http://webaim.org/techniques/acrobat/converting
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility Accessible PDFs - what about scanning? Not accessible by default - just big images. Use Optical Character Recognition Edit the document to add structure http://wac.osu.edu/pdf/scan/pdffromscan.html
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility Inspect your PDFs: With Acrobat X Tools > Advanced > Accessibility > Full Check View > Zoom > Reflow Tools sidebar > Action Wizard > Make Accessible
- Testing Web Sites for Accessibility Accessible Audio & Video Two factors: the player and the content. Player Accessibility Text transcription Closed Captioning Audio Description
- In Summary Web accessibility is complex and subjective; but theres still an objective difference between inaccessible and usable - you too can spot that difference.
- Thank you! Joseph Dolson http://www.joedolson.com/ email@example.com http://twitter.com/@joedolson
View more >
Technology Tools to Build a More Accessible STEM Program ... . StudentEngagement...آ Universal Design
Tourism for All: Advancing Universal Accessibility in ...s European Network for Accessible Tourism (ENAT)
Commercial Restroom Design: Sanitary, Accessible, Restroom Design: Sanitary, Accessible, ... Sanitary, Accessible, Durable, Water-Efficient ... restrooms can be made accessible and follow universal
Universal Design for Learning A framework for Accessible Curricular Materials Matthew T. Marino, Ph.D
Accessible Sports Facilities - Sport England The Inclusive Design Process 8 • Accommodating Sports Chairs • Adapting and Improving Existing Buildings ... Accessible Sports Facilities Design
Increasing levels of physical activity and improving public health by promoting walking, bicycling, and accessible recreation facilities
Accessible Parking Accessible Seating - A-Z ?· A Accessible Parking Accessible parking is available…
Universal Design in Higher Education: Promising ... and accessible to the entire student body, including
Recommendations for Improving Oral Health Services ... for Improving Oral Health Services Delivery System 2 This information is available in accessible formats to individuals with disabilities by calling
National Center on Educational Outcomes Research on Universal Design of Assessments Making Assessments Accessible and Valid for All Students
arXiv:1709.10164v4 [cond-mat.stat-mech] 15 Sep 2019 Universal and accessible entropy estimation using
Improving Validity of Large-scale Tests: Universal Design ... ?· Universal Design and Student Performance…