the future of ownership: how the sharing economy will change the way we live
out of 55
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThe traditional narrative of amassing material goods and personal ownership is changing. Driven by economics, a desire for experiences, the dematerialization of reality and the collapse of traditional power structures, people are looking to share objects and experiences while working together to create a better future. In the collaborative economy, people are sharing time, knowledge, responsibilities, objects and spaces. Collaborative projects, and realtime creation are radically disrupting industries and opening up whole new area of opportunity. In this report, we take a look at some drivers, implications and standout examples of the collaborative economy.
- THE FUTURE OF OWNERSHIP HOW THE SHARING ECONOMY WILL CHANGE THE WAY WE LIVE
- There are 80 million power drills in America that are used an average of 13 minutes - New York Times, July 2013 sparks & honey 2
- 40% of human food goes to waste. -Inc Magazine, July 2013 sparks & honey 3
- Private cars sit idle 95% of the time - Techcrunch, Dec 2011 sparks & honey 4
- In 2012, 2.7 billion dollars were raised via crowd fundingin the United States. -Taskrabbit Slideshare, June 2013 sparks & honey 5
- Average Airbnb Host In NYC Pockets $21,000 A Year -Techcrunch, Jan 2012 sparks & honey 6
- The consumer peerto-peer rental market alone is worth $26 billion. - The Economist,March 2013 sparks & honey 7
- What is the Collaborative Economy? The traditional narrative of amassing material goods and personal ownership is changing. Driven by economics, a desire for experiences, the dematerialization of reality and the collapse of traditional power structures, people are looking to share objects and experiences while working together to create a better future. sparks & honey 8
- In the collaborative economy, people are sharing time, knowledge, responsibilities, objects and spaces. Collaborative projects, and realtime creation are radically disrupting industries and opening up whole new area of opportunity. sparks & honey 9
- WHY IS THIS HAPPENING WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS? WHO GETS DISRUPTED? WHAT COMES NEXT? sparks & honey 10
- Whats Being Shared? sparks & honey 11
- Space: Unused space from desks to ofces, rooms and houses are being utilized to their maximum value, as owners make money and connect with new people through social platforms.
- Food: A number of services are helping to make eating a social event again, while food-on-demand startups connect chefs to diners.
- Spare Resources: Anything that can be shared, will be. Tools, clothing, empty laundry machines and more are being opened up to the community at large.
- Transportation: A growing segment of society are not able, or choose not to own cars, bikes and other vehicles. Transportation sharing services provide a win-win situation for owners (who make extra money) and users (who get wheels only when they need them).
- Work: Task-based work platforms provide opportunities to employ workers around the world (both virtual and physical) based on their time availability.
- Open Source Manufacturing: The power of the crowd is fueling rapid innovation and open source creation through involved communities and online platforms.
- Content & IP: Organizations and brands are opening up and sharing their intellectual property with the crowd in order to inspire innovation. Other platforms are creating new ways to help content originators and remixers to prot.
- Funding & Support: Financial support platforms are helping people start up projects and ventures. Other organizations are coming together to help the growing collaborative economy work through its growing pains.
- Open Education: MOOCs provide free education to thousands around the world, while platforms such as udemy and Skillshare connect teachers and learners.
- Whats Driving This Change? Technological Advancement: Exponential advancements in social platforms, mobile technology, on-demand manufacturing and sensors make all of this possible. The Makers Movement: There is a growing desire amongst people to DIY and be involved with the cocreation of the products and services they use. Open, Global Platforms: Anyone with access to a mobile phone or computer can share their voice, talents, advice or physical goods with connected networks of others around the world. ... amongst other factors sparks & honey 21
- Benets of the Collaborative Economy Sustainability: More people sharing resources means less waste, pollution and unnecessary consumption. In the long term, durable products will be coveted for their share value. Better Use of Idle Resources: From parked cars to empty houses and unused appliances, maximum value is being achieved once an object, space or (in the case of idle time) person is connected to the collaborative economy. Empathetic Design: When consumers are involved in production, the end result resonates better with the end user. ... amongst other factors sparks & honey 22
- What Gets Disrupted? Jobs: As traditional jobs are eliminated through technology, look for the rise of the portfolio career, where collective economy participants piece together diverse, project-based, on-demand work. Currencies: In the globally connected world, reputation and social currency is crucial to success. Also watch for alternative currencies and digital cash (such as Bitcoin) to become standard. Systems: Brands will need to open up, learning to share brand API, allowing consumers to be part of the creation and innovation process. ... amongst other factors sparks & honey 23
- Questions for the Future How do we measure the economic impact of sharing and collaboration? How do institutions and businesses move between concentration and fragmentation? How can disparate systems and pools of resources be better used? sparks & honey 24
- 18 Standout Startups We Are Tracking sparks & honey 25
- Food Sharing
- Mealku: Users pick a meal they would like and member chefs within the service prepare the meal. Team riders then deliver the home-cooked meals locally.
- Communal Meals: Mealsharing connects guests and hosts around the world to create authentic local dining experiences.
- Space Sharing
- Pivotdesk: Freelancers or entrepreneurs who cant afford (or dont desire) permanent ofce space can connect with businesses who have excess space.
- Embassy Network: A project that creates coliving spaces based on shared purpose and intention. Short- and long-term residents mix with guests and hold events which build community and foster creative living.
- Resource Sharing
- The Airbnb of Laundry: A student project that matches owners of a Hello hamper to owners of a Hello washing machine. Laundry is dropped off to be washed and the owner of the washer receives payment through an app.
- Borrow my Doggy: A service that matches owners with local dog enthusiasts for dog walks, playdates, sleepovers and holidays.
- Transportation Sharing
- Flightcar: Members drop their cars off at the airport while traveling so that others can rent the resource which would normally sit unused.
- Sharing Economy Support Service: Helmet use in bikeshare programs is lowless than half the rate of cyclists as a whole. Making helmets more available lowers the barrier to entry for bikeshare users, and addresses liability concerns for cities.
- On-Demand Workforce
- Worldwide Talent Marketplace: Fiverr is capitalizing on the trend of distributed talent. By making it easy to buy and sell services, Fiverr creates an Ebay-like network for tasks.
- Connection & Service: Taskhub is not just another collaborative work platform. With the aim of connecting neighbors, the service lets members get paid or volunteer their time.
- Open Source Manufacturing
- Open Source Furniture Made Locally: Opendesk gives away furniture plans for free but offers add-ons such as CNC cut self-assembly pieces, or furniture construction/ creation by local woodworkers.
- Crowdsourced Creation: DesignCrowd offers fast turnaround collective graphic design work.
- IP Sharing & Open Brand API
- DIY Custom Toys: Citizen Brick offers custom and curated unique LEGO gures and pieces. They have become notable recently due to their controversial Breaking Bad play set.
- A Solution to the Remix Problem: Legitmix enables fans to recreate remixes using their own copies of the tracks sampled.If they don't have the sampled tracks, Legitmix makes it easy to buy them from iTunes.
- 1099: An organization that helps sharing economy workers navigate the complex legal work of zero hour contracts, task-based work and multiple jobs.
- Neighbor.ly: A funding platform for civic issues, a Kickstarter for local, social good.
- Open Education
- Massive Online Education for Everyone: MOOC.org, a new partnership between Google and edX will be an open source platform which will allow any academic institution, business or individual to create and host online courses.
- Peer to Peer Learning: Skillshare provides a platform where anyone can teach and share their skills in-person locally or online to anyone.
- SPARKS & HONEY NAMED AS 1 OF 10 TOP AGENCIES TO WATCH IN 2014 BY ADAGE This Omnicom-backed "newsroom"-oriented agency starts each morning with a cultural brieng for clients such as Hyatt, Jarden and Life is Good, for whom it developed six "culture-to-commerce" T-shirts. In 2013 it grew from two to 17 clients and quadrupled its staff to 20.
- S&H CORE OFFERINGS CULTURAL STRATEGY CULTURAL INTELLIGENCE Dd 1 Social & Cultural Listening Competitive Intelligence & War Gaming 4 Sn Segment Analysis & Tracking Topic Deep Dives Issue Monitoring Fl Event Tracking Sensor Network 7 Real-time Burst identication Channel Analysis Content & Inuencer Strategy Editorial & Cultural Calendars Sf Mi Micro Manufacturing Mg Mood Geisting Qe Second Skin H 2 8 Mg Mind Gaming 10 We Ne 17 Fq 2 Rs 9 Icognito 8 Focus Quotient Se Sharing Economy Hy 6 Ra Lm Na Living Matter Raw Ma 18 19 Hd Ie Hand Drawn Mashup Ru In 3 Ss 10 4 Mi 11 Rurban Us Immersiv
View more >
Beyond Ownership: State Capitalism and the Chinese Firm ?· Beyond Ownership: State Capitalism and the…
Investigating Ownership and the Willingness to Share ... Ownership and the Willingness to Share Information Online ... Investigating Ownership and the Willingness to ... as mediated sharing Published in: Computers in Human Behavior 2007Authors: Daphne Ruth Raban Sheizaf RafaeliAffiliation: University of HaifaAbout: Systems design Social perception
OWNERSHIP STRUCTURE, INSIDERS OWNERSHIP AND ?· OWNERSHIP STRUCTURE, INSIDERS OWNERSHIP AND FIRM PERFORMANCE…
The Productivity Effects of Profit Sharing, Employee ...ftp.iza.org/ Productivity Effects of Profit Sharing, Employee Ownership, Stock Option and Team Incentive Plans: Evidence from Korean Panel Data Takao Kato
Rethinking logistics with access over ownership May 2017 DHLâ€™s foundations lie in the Sharing Economy
HCD’s Mobilehome Park Resident Ownership ??s Mobilehome Park Resident Ownership Program . Background. The Mobilehome Park Resident Ownership Program
Ownership Structure and the Public Private Equity ?· Ownership Structure and The Public / Private Equity…
The Report of The Ownership COmmissiOn - Kellogg The OwneRship COMMissiOn: 2012 plurality, stewardship engagement The report of the Ownership Commission march 2012
Evaluating Tractor Ownership With the OwnTractor Spreadsheet Evaluating Tractor Ownership With the OwnTractor
Compensation through Ownership: The Use of the ?· Compensation through Ownership: The Use of the ESOP…
The Sharing Economy â€“ The Seven Challenges of Online ... Sharing Economy - The Seven... The sharing
Evaluating the Ownership, Governance Structures and ... the Ownership, Governance Structures and Performances of Ports in ... Analysis of Institutional Port ... Evaluating the Ownership, Governance
The shift from ownership to access - PwC can companies respond to customer-related challenges ... preference for ownership ... The shift from ownership to access. The shift from ownership to access
Private Ownership, Nationalization, and the dbogart/bogart_railprivate_6_17_2007.pdf · Private Ownership,…
CREATING VALUE FROM DATA SHARING - ?· 3 Data ownership as crucial precondition for value creation does…
The Case for Mandatory Ownership Disclosure - SEC.gov ?· The case for mandatory ownership disclosure…