webcast - engaging students
out of 19
Post on 05-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThis webcast hosted by Veronica Bruhl and Ken Phillips of the Chicagoland chapter featured testimonials/best practices from various ASTD chapters. Learn more about: how to approach a local academic instutition to partner with their chapter.
- 1. Engaging Students and Higher Education Institutions _____________ How to make the most of a great partnership! Dr. Veronica Bruhl, CPLP & NAC Dr. Ken Phillips, CPLP & NAC
- 2. Welcome!
- Today we will :
- Learn about resources available to engage students with your chapter
- Participate in discussions with other chapter leaders
- Learn best practices for partnering with higher education institutions
- National ASTD welcomes you
- and thanks you for your commitment.
- 3. National ASTD Resources
- Student and New Professional Idea Book
- Student Relations Job Description
- John Con Membership Scholarship
- National Student Membership
- Social Media
- ASTD International Conference & Exposition - Student Day
- Interest Group Toolkit
- 4. Student and New Professional Idea Book
- 5. Student Relations Job Description
- 6. The John Con ASTD Membership Scholarship
- Six Free One-Year Student Memberships
- One Complimentary Registration to the 2012 ASTD International Conference (May 6-9, Denver, Colorado)
- Applications available: August 15, 2011
- Application deadline: November 15, 2011
- Scholarship Recipient Announcement: December 15, 2011
- 7. National Student Membership
- $59 annual membership
- 12 credit hours per year to qualify
- 4% of national membership are student members
- Chapters may request a list of national members (includes student members)
- 8. Social Networking
- ASTD Students Fan Page
- ASTD Students and Young Professionals
- 9. Student Day ASTD International Conference
- Several registration options
- 2011 Student Day activities included
- networking coffee and welcome
- reserved seating at the General Session
- student/career-focused session
- tour of the EXPO
- networking lunch with keynote speaker, Mette Norgaard
- 10. ASTD Chapter Interest Group Toolkit
- Chapter Interest Group Guide
- Types of interest groups offered by ASTD chapters (coming soon)
- SOS submissions on interest groups
- Interest Group Charter Form (sample)
- 11. ASTD Chapter Interest Group Guide
- 12. Chapter Resources & Best Practices
- 13. CCASTD Best Practices
- Tara Hawkins
- Director of University Relations
- Student Membership Discount
- Deb Colky Scholarship
- Student Interest Group
- Partnership with Colleges and Universities
- 14. Orange County Best Practices
- Paul Venderley
- Past President
- Student Membership Rate
- Partnership with Brandman University
- Two Part Process
- 15. South Florida Best Practices
- Steve Parkins
- President Elect
- Student Membership Rate
- Student SIG formed by Barry University Graduate Students
- President of Student SIGs sits on Chapter Board
- SIG is active on Chapter Social Media
- Challenge: As students graduate, new partnerships and SIGs need to be formed.
- 16. Things you can do immediately
- Consider if your chapter is ready for students?
- Consider how will you invite them?
- Consider how will you make them feel included?
- Create a Student Relations position on your Board.
- Review or create a student membership category.
- Bookmark the Chapter Leader Community and use the resources. ( www.astd.org/clc )
- Communicate successes and challenges to chapter coaches and NAC advisor.
- Submit a Sharing Our Success (SOS) to be recognized for your efforts www.astd.org/sos
- Promote www.astd.org/students to your local student community and student chapter members.
- Promote John Con Scholarship to community.
- 17. Idea Page
- Meeting space at college/university
- Providing speakers from board or members
- Mentorships/Shadowing Program
- Community Involvement
- 18. iPad Student Engagement Challenge
- Three iPads up for grabs
- National ASTD will award three winners (one winner in small, medium, and large chapter categories) to the chaptersthat engage with local students the most between January 1-September 31*, 2011.
- 19. Thank you for your leadership! See you at ALC on Saturday, October 15! (Sunrise Session) - Student Engagement
View more >
Engaging, Enriching, and Empowering All Students ?· Engaging, Enriching, and Empowering All Students…
Engaging Students through Active, Cooperative, and Problem ... Nikos J. Mourtos Engaging Students through