Architecting for the cloud
out of 16
Post on 15-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Architecting for the Cloud
- 2. Shared Responsibility
- 3. You are the architect! Cloud is one big, great toolbox but You keep on having FULL responsibility for architecting the system
- 4. Design for Failure
- 5. Region Region Global Services (such as admin console/API, Route 53, Cloudfront) Availability Zone Availability Zone Regional Services (such as ELB, S3, SNS, SQS etc.) Cross-Region utilities (such as RDS Read-Replicas, AMI copy, Route53 LBR) Leverage Topologies
- 6. Focus on Resilience Availability of resources is difficult to guarantee, accept it, leverage it. Design for resilience and low MTTR instead
- 7. Cloud requires a mind shift When changing anything, launch a new stack. Dont waste time fixing dying servers (unless of course) Treat servers as disposable units Router Blue Stack Green Stack
- 8. Design for PaaS Using high level services seems open door But in reality IaaS is still king Design for PaaS (even if it doesnt fit right from the start)
- 9. Pragmatic portability Avoid vendor lock-in, but not at all costs Stick to standards, understand alternatives but happily leverage unique features
- 10. SECURITY AND DATA PRIVACY
- 11. Is your cloud secure enough? Still concern #1 Make sure you have your policy in place (and act upon it).
- 12. Apply Defence-in-depth Secure each layer Use automation for repeatable tasks Leverage the available services Organise your security operations Design security from the very start.
- 13. Questions? email@example.com +Gerco Grandia @gercograndia https://nl.linkedin.com/in/gercograndia
- 14. SERVICE INSTEAD OF APPLICATION
- 15. Think services User Experience > Application Ensure holistic view Fail fast, act fast Apply devops both in culture and design
- 16. Service reference architecture Application Design PrinciplesSelf-service capabilities Catalogue (SLA) Licensing Billing Subscription Management ID Management Usage Analytics Validation Deployment Provisioning Monitoring & Root Cause Analysis Platform and Infra services DevOpsBack Office End Users App Developers Service Operators
View more >
Architecting for the Cloud: Best Practices Web Services - Architecting for The Cloud: ... best practices in creating new cloud applications or ... The Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud provides a ...