curriculum information yr9 night 2013 jpc
out of 24
Post on 29-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Year 9 2014 Elective InformationYear 9 2014 Elective Information EveningEvening ThursdayThursday 1818thth July 6.30pm College HallJuly 6.30pm College Hall A positive learning environment, catering for diversity through Excellence in Catholic Education. @JPCCOFFS please follow our Tweets!
- 2. College Extranet &College Extranet & Requirements p5Requirements p5
- 3. The elective selection processThe elective selection process Year Assemblies with Mr HibberdYear Assemblies with Mr Hibberd Extranet process with Mr DoyleExtranet process with Mr Doyle Elective Information HandbookElective Information Handbook Q and A by Leaders of LearningQ and A by Leaders of Learning Curriculum evening Thursday 18Curriculum evening Thursday 18thth August 6.30pmAugust 6.30pm Elective selection completed online byElective selection completed online by Thursday 25Thursday 25thth July, 4pm.July, 4pm. Print out 2 copies, 1 to keep and 1 to hand to yourPrint out 2 copies, 1 to keep and 1 to hand to your Homeroom Teacher.Homeroom Teacher.
- 4. Emily and WillEmily and Will 200hrs200hrs MusicMusic CommerceCommerce 100hrs100hrs World HistoryWorld History 200hrs200hrs Information andInformation and Software TechnologySoftware Technology JapaneseJapanese 100hrs100hrs CommerceCommerce
- 5. John Paul College p6 courses and periodsJohn Paul College p6 courses and periods How do lines look for a broad curriculum?How do lines look for a broad curriculum? Example of Year 9 Subject Lines yr10 we add Geography and History 100hr E 200hr C 200hr D English Maths PDHPE RE Science Sport Drama Music Art 7 classes of English at the same time 7 classes of Maths at the same time 7 classes of PDHPE across the time table 7 classes of RE across the time table 7 classes of Science across the time table All year 9/10 do sport at the same time Art French Commerce Commerce Japanese PASS PASS PASS Agriculture Food Technology Agriculture Food Technology Multimedia Design & Technology Multimedia Timber Technology Food Technology Metal Technology Textiles Technology Information & Software Technology Textiles Technology Timber Technology
- 6. Course SelectionCourse Selection Elective lines are formed on student choiceElective lines are formed on student choice 1 elective for Year 9 only (100hrs)1 elective for Year 9 only (100hrs) 2 electives for Year 9 and 10 (200hrs)2 electives for Year 9 and 10 (200hrs) Choose a different reserve as wellChoose a different reserve as well Follow-up for clashes, use of Reserve ifFollow-up for clashes, use of Reserve if neededneeded Letter to parents: confirmation of electiveLetter to parents: confirmation of elective courses early Term 4.courses early Term 4.
- 7. Satisfactory completion for your Record ofSatisfactory completion for your Record of School Achievement? (RoSA) p5School Achievement? (RoSA) p5 Attend an accredited school or College Follow approved pattern of study Complete four years of secondary education applied themselves with diligence and sustained effort to set tasks and experiences in the course have achieved some of the course outcomes. make a genuine attempt at assessment tasks.
- 8. Satisfactory Completion 2 p7-8Satisfactory Completion 2 p7-8 Failure to meet one or more of the criteriaFailure to meet one or more of the criteria outlined on the previous slide may resultoutlined on the previous slide may result in a N Determinationin a N Determination You will be warned in writingYou will be warned in writing May impact on your final result, Year 10May impact on your final result, Year 10 Board of Studies Grade for the RoSABoard of Studies Grade for the RoSA You may appealYou may appeal
- 9. P7 and 8 The BOS grading System, A to EP7 and 8 The BOS grading System, A to E and Mathematicsand Mathematics Literacy & Numeracy Tests for Year 10Literacy & Numeracy Tests for Year 10 Leavers leaving the school system egLeavers leaving the school system eg gained employment, only twice throughgained employment, only twice through the year.the year.
- 10. A cumulative credential starts at the end of Year 10A cumulative credential starts at the end of Year 10
- 11. Mandatory Curriculum Requirements English 400 hours Mathematics 400 hours Science 400 hours Human Society and Its Environment 400 hours Stage 4 History Stage 5 Australian History 100 hrs 100 hrs Stage 4 Geography Stage 5 Australian Geography 100 hrs 100 hrs To be studied substantially throughout each of Years 710.
- 12. Mandatory Curriculum Requirements PDHPE 300-hour integrated course to be studied in each of Years 710 Languages Other than English 100 hours one language over one continuous 12 month period Creative Arts 200 hours Visual Arts 100 hrs Music 100 hrs Technology Technology (Mandatory) Years 7 8 syllabus to be studied for 200 hours
- 13. Additional (Elective) Studies Students can also study elective courses of 100 or 200 hours duration. Electives can be credentialed on the Record of School Achievement (RoSA).
- 14. Stage 5 Change of Course Most students complete the courses they start (usually only a problem if changing schools). Students stay in the elective courses that they have chosen for Year 9 for the 100hr course and until the end of Year 10 for the 200hr course.
- 15. Attendance Absence may result in the course criteria not being met. Leave may be granted: at the discretion of the schools Principal
- 16. Assessment in Year 9 and Year 10Assessment in Year 9 and Year 10 A range of formal and informal tasks (3-5) perA range of formal and informal tasks (3-5) per SemesterSemester Receive Assessment Schedules, dates, guidelinesReceive Assessment Schedules, dates, guidelines start of 2014 and in Year 10start of 2014 and in Year 10 Available on the extranet as wellAvailable on the extranet as well Expectations are higher, Variation of AssessmentExpectations are higher, Variation of Assessment (VOA) forms, due before 9am etc(VOA) forms, due before 9am etc
- 17. School Certificate, Why Did it Change? Now-Record of School Achievement (RoSA) Why change? Increase in school leaving age to 17 National Testing, NAPLAN Australian Curriculum Retention rates, most complete HSC Cumulative Comprehensive Credential?
- 18. Course FeesCourse Fees Please check each course, there may bePlease check each course, there may be fees and these are compulsory for thefees and these are compulsory for the course.course.
- 19. What doWhat do I like?I like? What do I need to or want to know ? What am I good at ?
- 20. First three decisions: p8First three decisions: p8 1.1. 2.2. What electives fit these interests?What electives fit these interests? 3.3.
- 21. Select courses because you want to do it.Select courses because you want to do it. Choose a course because it matches yourChoose a course because it matches your interest.interest.
View more >