double, double toil and trouble fire burn, and cauldron bubble
Embed Size (px)
Double, double toil and troubleFire burn, and cauldron bubble.
A Tragedy by William Shakespeare
The “Real” Macbeth
James I was a great believer in witchcraft.
Macbeth Lady Macbeth
The three “weird sisters” predict Macbeth will become king.Name theallusion.
John Singer Sargent captured
some symbolism in his portrait
of Lady Macbeth.
How does the artist
What is ambition?”
Is it a good quality? Bad quality?
Tragedy according to Aristotle
1. The tragic figure is a noble, good person, but not perfect.
2. The tragic figure has a tragic flaw (hamartia), that could be an excess of a particular virtue.
3. The tragic figure’s downfall is his/her own fault.
4. The punishment exceeds the crime. Downfall has a ripple effect.
5. The tragic fall is not pure loss. Gain in self knowledge.