geocaching geocaching is a worldwide technological treasure hunt. it is designed for gps (global...
out of 9
Post on 23-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Geocaching Geocaching is a worldwide technological treasure hunt. It is designed for GPS (Global Positioning System) users. A person hides a cache and publishes its location on the internet. Other GPS users can then use the co-ordinates on the website to find the cache.
- Slide 2
- What is a geocache? Its a container an ice-cream tub, ammo box, sandwich box, 35mm film container etc It should contain a log book or log sheet a note explaining what a geocache is It might also contain items to exchange Travel Bugs
- Slide 3
- The philosophical bit .The real treasure is just finding the container and sharing your thoughts with everyone else who finds it. If you wish, go ahead and take something. But please also leave something of your own for others to find, and write it in the logbook. If possible, let us know that you found it by visiting our web site: http://www.geocaching.com Geocaching is open to everyone with a GPS and a sense of adventure.
- Slide 4
- Geocaches near Bovington
- Slide 5
- Information on a Geocache page
- Slide 6
- How does GPS work? 24 (now 31) satellites transmitting microwave signals Developed & managed by US Defense Department SA turned off in 2000 to enable commercial use GPS receiver can determine location, speed, direction, time Range of models from 300 (also PDAs) Accuracy depends on clear view of sky nearby objects satellite geometry
- Slide 7
- What geographical skills can be learned? GPS receiver as ICT tool Co-ordinate systems: National Grid 4, 6 & 10 figure grid references Latitude & longitude Reading OS paper maps 1:25k, 1:50k, 1:250k Using mapping software e.g. Memory Map Panning Zooming & scaling in & out Plotting Routes and recording Tracks
- Slide 8
- What activities could promote learning? Finding out where geocaches are located Planning a caching trip, real or virtual Tracking a travel bug online leading to Awareness of own location on Earths surface Appreciation of relative distance & direction Investigation & comparison of distant places
- Slide 9
- Geocaching is . a great opportunity for a walk!
View more >