Post on 07-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPhD Futures - Digital Media to enhance the research profile
- 1. DevelopingyourResearch Profile viaSocial Media PhD Futures Careers Event University Of Salford- June 2009
2. What does it mean to have a profile? 3. Definition of profile:
- arepresentationof something inoutline ;
- aset of dataoften in graphic form portraying thesignificant featuresof something,
- a concisebiographical sketch ;
- degree or level ofpublic exposure
4. What does it mean to be a researcher? Courtesy of Jsome1 (flickr ID)http://tinyurl.com/6fd3mq 5. A researcher, someone who:
- observesa phenomenon by close examination;
- reflectsabout the reality under study;
- producesdata about the observable fact;
- disseminateshis/her research findings;
- Sharehis/her ideas;
- Contributesto scientific knowledge.
6. Social Media
- EnhancingProfessional profile
- Promoting your researcher ID Digitally
7. Do you have a presence online?
- Why Not?
8. Online PresenceBlog wiki microblogging SocialBookmarking Presentation Sharing Social Network websiteBlog Prof. Network Scrap-Blog etc Active participation Show-case work &outline research activity Develop evidence of work in progressby reflection &active participation Profile 9.
- Where to start?
What are the web possibilities? Background picture courtesy of foxypar4 (Flickr ID)http://tinyurl.com/5wjz74 10.
- How to make your online profile reputable?
11. What is understood by reputation?
- . theopinionof the publictoward a person, a groupof people , or an organization()
12. How wepresent&represent ourselves onlineDOESmatter . 13.
- How much information to provide?
- How much is too much?
14. Develop an online professional profile that is coherent with you face to face approach 15. Tips to enhance your online profile
- Give a bit of your professional self:
- Share and reflect about your work,
- allow others to provide feedback.
16. Tips to enhance your online profile
- Cultivate the network around you
- Participate actively in discussions of your area;
- Become known among peers.
17. Raise your profile by
- contributing to a wider community;
- becoming an author;
- Exchanging views;
- Learning with other;
18. Some Examples :
- Top Ten Researcher Blogs
- LinkedIn Research Network
- http:// tinyurl.com/3kyk4l
- Global Researchers Profile
- Sharing Your Research Channel
19. Image Credits
- Unless stated otherwise, all pictures were retrieved fromClip Art and MediaMicrosoft website
20. Thank You! Text Slides available at: http://www.slideshare.net/cristinacost