siho - how to implement universal design for learning
out of 29
Post on 25-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONpresentation for the AHEAD - LINK - conference on UDL by SIHO, more details firstname.lastname@example.org, www.siho.be/udl
- 1. UNIVERSAL DESIGN FORLEARNING IN HIGHEREDUCATION:HOW TO IMPLEMENT?Support Centre for Inclusive Higher Education(SIHO)BELGIUMKatrien De Munck & Meggie Verstichele
- 2. WHO ARE YOU?
- 3. CONTENT1. Context of SIHO2. UDL- principles3. How to start?4. How to seduce?5. How to sustain?
- 4. 1. CONTEXT OF SIHO
- 5. WHERE IS THE STUDENT?
- 6. 2. UDL-PRINCIPLES
- 7. Is our fysical2.1 UNIVERSAL DESIGN environme nt accessible ?
- 8. Is our2.2 UNIVERSAL DESIGNlearning environmeFOR LEARNING nt accessible ?
- 9. 2.3 UD & UDL UD UDL Fysical environment Learning environment Fysical barriers Educational barriers Proactive Proactive Retrofitting Adjustments = expensive / difficult = time-consuming / difficult 10
- 10. 2.4 UDL-FUNDAMENTS:NEUROLOGICAL BASIS3 inter-related networks (Rose, Meyer, Hitchcock, 2005):Recognition network Affective network Strategical network What? Why? How?Recognition and intake Evaluation and setting Planning, executing of information priorities and monitoring
- 11. 2.5 FROM NEUROLOGYTO PRINCIPLESUDL-Principles for effective teachingRecognition network Strategical network Affective network Principle 1: Principle 2: Principle 3: Offer Action & Engageme information expression nt
- 12. 3. HOW TO START?
- 13. 3.1 GETTING INSPIREDwww.cast.orghttp://udlonline.cast.org/home
- 14. 3.2 INSPIRING HIGHEREDUCATIONUDL on the agenda in several occasions:- events- presentations- newsletter and website-- UDL-day with CAST
- 15. 4. HOW TO SEDUCE?
- 16. HOW TO SEDUCE?- giving concrete tips and relating it to all aspects ofinclusion in higher education- giving information about UDL in different ways lectures, newsletters, presentation, training, academic and applied, referring to the UN- convention developing a new website www.siho.be/udl
- 17. 5. HOW TO SUSTAIN?
- 18. HOW TO SUSTAIN?- engaging people in different ways Coaching ICT-connection ICT-workshops Intensive training-days UDL-cartoon-contest
- 19. 5.1 UDL-COACHING:HANDS-ON- if you could find 5 volunteers- out of different contexts- to apply UDL in their work- name 1 thing that you teach which is going very well- name 1 thing that you teach which is more difficult UDL- COACHING
- 20. - For who?- 4 coaching- moments: 1. Theory and brainwriting 2. UDL and course material 3. UDL and ICT 4. UDL and evaluation
- 21. 5.2 ICT-CONNECTION
- 22. 5.3 MULTIPLYING- intensive trainingdays- train the trainer (within coaching)- monitoring coaching- UDL-projects @ single institutions
- 23. DARE TO DREAM !October 2011:Idea 5 volunteersMarch 2013:> 70 in coaching+ intensive days (60)+ workshops
- 24. 6. UDL-FACTS
- 25. 6.1 WHAT IS UDL NOT? measures for a few students minimizing the goals or expectations a magic tric or fix for all students one prescribed formula
- 26. 6.2 WHAT ARE THEADVANTAGES OF UDL? Proactive way of working reaching all students, reaching a diverse audience offers tools to reflect about our way of teaching
- 27. Thank you for your attention!Contact details:Katrien.email@example.comMeggie.Verstichele@firstname.lastname@example.org and find us on
View more >