t428 question of the day what have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? question...

T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? I really surprised myself by _______.

Upload: samantha-byrd

Post on 14-Dec-2015

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

Page 1: T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? Question of the Day Who do detectives ask for help when they are

T428

Question of The Day

What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t

do?

Question of the Day

Who do detectives ask for help when they are solving mysteries?

I really surprised myself by _______.

Page 2: T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? Question of the Day Who do detectives ask for help when they are

Loved Best

Theme 3 Lesson 11

Page 3: T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? Question of the Day Who do detectives ask for help when they are

T429

Read Aloud

• Genre- Fiction• Set a Purpose- Why might we read

or listen to a fiction story again?• Modeling Fluency- Pay attention to

phrasing and punctuation. • Listen as I carefully read the poem.

Page 4: T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? Question of the Day Who do detectives ask for help when they are

T429

The Speech

Willie watched as his mother moved about the kitchen in a hurry. He could tell she was upset. She was so nervous she could not sit still or smile. When Willie asked what was wrong, she said, “I have to give a speech at work today. I

haven’t felt this nervous since my third grade play! I’m not sure I

can go through with it.”

Poor mom, thought Willie. “Is your speech important?” he asked.

“Yes.” she said. “That’s why I’m so nervous. I’m supposed to be showing people how to use our new computer system.

There will be real problems if people can’t use it.”

Page 5: T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? Question of the Day Who do detectives ask for help when they are

The Speech

Willie thought about her words. “I remember when I had to recite a poem last year,” he said. “I was sure I was going to fall right off the stage. I was so scared I would forget the words that I could hardly walk. But you told me that all I had to do was just think of one word at a time. I did just fine. You will, too, Mom. Just take it one word at a time.”

Willie watched his mother’s face as a big smile grew. “You’re absolutely right, she said.”

Page 6: T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? Question of the Day Who do detectives ask for help when they are

Discussion Questions:

What is the story problem?

In the story, how might Willie’s mom have said “I’m not sure I can go through with it”? What emotion should you try to show in your voice?

How does Willie try to help his mother?

Page 7: T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? Question of the Day Who do detectives ask for help when they are

C-le Syllables

pebble tumble gentle

• What sound does –le make in these words?

• Remember that these words are divided into syllables so that a consonant and

-le form the final syllable• Remember when there are two

consonants before the letters –le, the vowel sound in the first syllable is short.

peb/ble tum/ble gen/tle

Page 8: T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? Question of the Day Who do detectives ask for help when they are

C-le Syllable

noble staple bugleeagle

• Remember when there is one consonant before –le, the vowel sound in the first syllable is long.

no/ble sta/ble bu/gle ea/gle

Page 9: T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? Question of the Day Who do detectives ask for help when they are

T430

Spelling with C-le Syllables

Use the words below to help complete each sentence.

1.) Tell me the ______of the book you are reading.

2.) Sara set the _______ for dinner last night.

3.) Seema’s _________ lives in Ohio.

4.) If you cut an ________ in half, you can see the seeds.

5.) A thick, strong wire is called a ___________.

6.) Lisette bought some _______ gum.

7.) A big read _______ was crawling on the tree.

8.) Have you ever seen a baby playing with a _________.

title uncle beetle table bubble apple

rattle cable

Page 10: T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? Question of the Day Who do detectives ask for help when they are

Spelling with C-le SyllablesUse the words below to help complete each sentence.

little scribble purple middle

trouble saddle simple 9.) Denison’s favorite color is ________.

10.) An elephant is big, but a mouse is ________.

11.) Erik sat in the _________ of the bench.

12.) It is _________ to add 2 and 2.

13.) Jovan fastened the ________ around the horse.

14.) Jake got in _______ when he ran in the halls.

15.) Small children like to ________ with crayons.

Page 11: T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? Question of the Day Who do detectives ask for help when they are

Performing “Loved Best”

In groups we will perform a readers’ theater by rereading “Loved Best” on pages 306-323.

Things to remember:• The characters might act and sound

different in various parts.• Readers can use expression to

reinforce what is happening in the text.

Page 12: T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? Question of the Day Who do detectives ask for help when they are

T431

Plot

What is the plot of a story? A plot is the events that happen; it usually

includes a problem and its solution.

Page 13: T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? Question of the Day Who do detectives ask for help when they are

T431

“Evie and Margie”

Listen closely as I reread “Evie and Margie” starting on page 38. Listen

closely for the problem and the solution as I reread the story.

• What is the main problem in the story?Evie and Margie both want to be Cinderella in the

play.

• How is the problem solved?Evie gets to perform as an understudy, and

Margie gets to do another performance.

Page 14: T428 Question of The Day What have you done that, at first, you thought you couldn’t do? Question of the Day Who do detectives ask for help when they are

T433

Use the graphic organizer below to help you map the story.

Problem

Important Events

Solution

Plot