t5 b65 gao visa docs 5 of 6 fdr- 7-2-02 gao interview of ftttf 805

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T5 B65 GAO Visa Docs 5 of 6 Fdr- 7-2-02 GAO Interview of FTTTF 805

1/6

.Prepared by: Jody WoodsDate: 7/3/2002Job Code: 320087Index: Type bundle Index hereDOC Library: Type library name hereDOC Number: 152402FTTTF, 7/2/02

Record of InterviewReviewed by: Type reviewer name hereReview Date: Type review date here

Purpose Wemet^staff oftneForeign Terrorist Tracking Task Force (FTTTF)to discuss their progress on risk assessment and condor cables and toobtain their views onvisa policy and law.Contact Method In personContact Place FTTTFOffices, Crystal CityContact Date July 2,2002Participants

Risk Assessment

Law Enforcement Privacy

GAPJody Woods, Senior AnalystKate Brentzel,AnalystGabrielle Anderson, AnalystFl'lTF Ihief of Staff, Deputy Director for Law and Policy (703)

Risk AssessmentCondor ProcessingJreported that risk assessment is currently being conductedononly flight school applicants that are already licensed pilots. It will beopened up to all flight school applicants after the Department of Justicefinishes the comment period on its new rule.l [stated that shedoubted the irriTKwould ever conduct risk assessment modelingon allvisa applicants, simply because it would be too difficult to transfer thevisa applications to electronic format. She stated that there iswidespreadresistance in the State Department to automating the 156 and 157forms.In contrast, the flight school applications are fully automated.

Applicants seeking training at flight schools must fill out an online formand receive approval from the Attorney General. Those that qualify forexpedited processing are run through the risk assessment modelandturned around in 48 hours or less. For those applicants that come up ashits through risk assessment.! beported that the task force turnsthe case over to law enforcement to make a decision on what should bedone.When asked if the profile used for risk assessment could be disseminatedto consular officersr |said no because it was (a) classified and (b)changed daily.

Page 1 Record of Interview

2/6

Prepared by: Jody WoodsDate: 7/3/2002Job Coda:320087Index: Type

DOC Library: TypeDOC NumberWhen asked what consular officers overseas should do if someone appliesfor a visa to get flight training^ [stated that they should fill outanother form to see whether they qualify for expedited processing. If theydon't qualify, they should not be given a visa Even if the visa is issued,the KlTl'F can use INS to track the person down.

20-day hold L Jstated that all parties agreed that the 20-day wait was notbeing checked, and Was therefore of limited utility. Shebelieved thatState was planning to act on the 20-day wait immediately. She got theimpression that State would soon end the 20-day wait.Condor Processing I Jexplained that 4 of the 38FTTTF staff process Condorcables. First they get the paper cable from FBI and sort it by post, refugeecase, and cable number. They run the names of the applicants against theVICTOFF database, TIPOFF, INSAbsconders, stolen passports, I-94s,NIPC Databases, the Pentbomb investigation, and other law enforcementdatabases. For those cases with hits, they conduct further research toverify the hit and the applicant are the same person. They consider a case

to b f e a match if the two have the exact same name, date of birth, andpossibly passport number, country of birth and other biographicalinformation. They stated that when in doubt of a match, they always erron the side of security. Once they have made a match they refer the casewith a recommendation to the FBI's Counter-Terrorism Division to makea final decision on the case. Oncases where no hit came up, the FTTTFimmediately sends word to the State Department that the case has beencleared. When asked how the information in their systems compares withC L A S S J I s t a t e d that CLASS does not include data on lost orstolen passports, intelligence from allied foreign governments, or thePentbomb investigation. She also noted that the information in CLASS ismainly biographical in nature, whereas the information in the FBI systemis in reference to case files.! [stated that the differencesbetween the databases that FBI has and CLASS will grow over time.

I Istated that the FBI/NIPC is in the process of getting readyto take over the Condors.r [stated that the FTTTF will not beallowed to shift it oyef to them until they know it will be done right, unlikethe first time when it was not given a high priority. When theFTTTFbegan the Condor processing they inherited a 14,000 case backlog fromthe FBLI Istated that these came in the form ofboxesandboxes full ofpaper cables. She suggested we contact| |

]atFBI for more information on their readiness totake over condor processing.I Jstated that the contents of the condor cables vary greatlybypost, Most have little more information than a name, date ofbirth,Country of birth, and reasons why they fell into condor criteria. All threetaskforce representatives felt that condor processing would proceedmuch more smoothly if they were given electronic copies of theapplications to reviewj Stated that while State is buying morescanners, they have resisted her idea of developing a web-based

Law Enforcement Privacy

Page 2 Record of Interview

3/6

Prepared by: Jody WoodsDate: 7/3/2002Job Code: 320087

Law Enforcement Privacy"

Index: TypeDOC Library: Type

DOCNumber:application because of the availability of internet connections overseasand translatQrs .within the State Department. As it is.l ifelt thepaper cables they were getting from State did not contain enoughinformation to conduct a thorough'"risk assessment on thei applicant. [__J

"\ stated that at the very least they needed the information on the~..DS 156 and 157.I Istated that the CIA is also processing condors. S he statedthat her contact in State for condorsrsl land for refugees isI I

Concerns aboutVisa Law

' She noted that State was not issuing the visa either, just demanding more informalion on the cast.-.L Jagreed to compile data for G A O on how many of these cases ultimately ended upbeing recommended for refusal.

' See Annitage letter.

Page 3 Record of Inrrrview

4/6

Prepared by: Jody WoodsDate: 7/3/2002JobCode: 320087

Law Enforcement Privacy"

Index: TypeDOC Library: TypeDOCNumber:application because of the availability of internet connections overseasand translators within the State Department.As it is.l Jfelt the.paper cables they were getting from State did not contain enoughinformation to conduct a thorough risk assessment on the applicant. |_

I Istated that at the very least they needed the informationon theDS 156 and 157.

I

[stated that the CIA is also processing condors. She statedthat her contact in State fo r condors is | [and fo r refugees is

Concerns aboutVisa Law

1 She noted that State was not issuing Lhe visa either,just demanding more information on tlie case.(agreed lo compile data for GAO on how many of these cases ultimately ended up

be i n g recommended fo r refusal' See Annitage letter

Page 3 Record of liiirrview

5/6

, .^cncuijy.JUUyVVOOQSDate: 7/3/2002Job Code:320087Index:TypeDOC Library: TypeDOC Number:

State DepartmentPolicyL Jstated that beyondthe question oflaw, another problem invisa processing is that State Department needs to change its cultureawayfrom customer service and efficiency and toward security. She wasunclear on how the creation of the department of Homeland Securitymight change the culture around visa processing.

' Auditor's Note: If DO J is successful in convincing State Department to refuse th e Condors on thebasis of research by the FTTTF, that could expand the number of applicantsdenied under 212(a)3(h

Page 4 Record of Inlervirw

6/6

, , ,>t*, uvj L/y. JuUyDate: 7/3/2002Job Code:320087

index: TypeDOC Library: TypeDOC Number:

Law Enforcement Privacy

State DepartmentPolicy LJstated that beyond the question of law, another problem invisa processing is that State Department needs to change its culture awayfrom customer service an d efficiency an d toward security. She wasunclear on how the creation of the departmentof HomelandSecuritymight change the culture around visa processing.

1 Auditor's Note: I f DOJ is successful in convincing State Department to refuse th e Condorson th ebasis of research by the FTTTF, that coiild expand th e number of applicants denied inuler 2 l ^ ( a > ' i (

Page 4 Record of Intrn i