unit 1 cultural relics period 4 vocabulary 北京市第八十中学 闫文娟
Embed Size (px)
Unit 1 Cultural Relics
Period 4 Vocabulary
Target Words and Phrases
1. to manage to live or continue in difficulties (warming up)
2. trying to find sth; looking carefully for sth. (reading)
3. add sth. pretty to make sth. more beautiful (reading--- para.1)
4. to be the property ( 所有物 ) of
5. having a certain value; deserve ( 值得 )
in search of
Word and Phrase Study
How can you __________ in this situation?survive
•Only one baby ___________ the terrible car crash.•Few houses in this area have _________ after the storm.•The baby is the only ________ in the terrible car crash.•The mountain climber’s survival hasn’t been found out.
arrive v. n. _________________arrival
(n.) the fact of having survived
In the movie “Cast Away”, Tom Hanks plays a man named Chuck Noland. One day Chuck is on a flight across the Pacific Ocean when suddenly his plane crashes. Chuck ________ the crash and lands on a deserted island. Since he is the only _________, he has to learn to __________ all alone. After four years’ hard life, Chuck came back home at last. His __________ is really amazing.
search We searched everywhere, but couldn’t find
the book. The policeman searched the woods for
escaped prisoners.The policeman searched the man for drugs.The secretary searched for the missing
papers, but didn’t find them.They are in search of the missing girl.I looked everywhere in search of my glasses.
The rescue team members…
Why do so many farmers come to Beijing?
Many farmers come to Beijing in search of good jobs and higher pay.
in search of
decorate It was also a treasure decorated with gold and jewels.
How do I decorate the wall of my living room?
It was also a treasure which was decorated with gold and jewels.
It was also a treasure. The treasure was decorated with gold and jewels.
When… Who…How… What …
belong toA. Do you belong to the
UN peace-keeping force?
B. Which computer does this mouse belong to?
C. This strange vegetable belongs to the potato family.
D. I don’t doubt that the gold ring belongs to her.
1. to be the property of
2. to be a part of; be connected with
3. to be a member of
Choose the best answers to complete the following sentences.
1. The dictionary __________ me.A. belongs to B. is belonged to C. belong to D. is belonging to
2. What party do you __________?A. belonged to B. belong to C. belong D. being belong to
3. The priceless Chinese vase __________ the old man.A. doesn’t belong to B. isn’t belonging toC. not belong to D. isn’t belonged to
The book is worth reading = It is worth reading the book. He felt that his life was no longer worth living. This plan is worth a try. It’s not worth the effort/ the trouble.
The film is worth seeing.
It is worth climbing to the top of the mountain, where you can enjoy the beautifulview.
The question is not worth discussing again and again.
1. What is Mogao Caves? (one of the most important art treasures of China)2. What are on the walls of the caves? (decorate; paintings)3. How long has it survived from the time when it w
as discovered? (over 100 years)4. What happened to the artworks in it before it was known to the whole world? (be stolen)5. What do some people do now? (search; the missing artworks)6. Why do they do that? (belong to; it is worth…)
Write down the passage on your homework book.